Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack II - Part 2  (Read 53227 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microtrack II - Part 2
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »
I will also try decoding a flac back to wav and see if it still shows it as 24/48 or did it change to 16/48 or 16/44, then I'll know if something is wrong.

No need, this won't reveal anything.  The decoded file will precisely match the file before it was encoded to FLAC.  It won't change the WAV properties, or reveal the actual bit depth of the data stream, or anything like that.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »
I will also try decoding a flac back to wav and see if it still shows it as 24/48 or did it change to 16/48 or 16/44, then I'll know if something is wrong.

No need, this won't reveal anything.  The decoded file will precisely match the file before it was encoded to FLAC.  It won't change the WAV properties, or reveal the actual bit depth of the data stream, or anything like that.

Thanks for that info.  SF has a bit depth and sample rate window at the bottom when you open a wav file (that could be it's bit meter) and my wav's do show 24 bit and 48000 sample rate, that's why it's so strange that the compressed flacs equal the size of the 16 bit files I already did. 
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
SF has a bit depth and sample rate window at the bottom when you open a wav file (that could be it's bit meter) and my wav's do show 24 bit and 48000 sample rate, that's why it's so strange that the compressed flacs equal the size of the 16 bit files I already did.

The FLAC / 16-bit file size thing is just a coincidence.  I'm not familiar with Soundforge, so I don't know the answer, but the question is:  does the 24-bit / 48000 sample rate window at the bottom show the actual bit depth of the data itself, or the bit depth as documented in the WAV header (which is what you see when you view Properties of the file in Windows Explorer, for example).  What you want is a tool in SF that shows you the bit depth of the actual data, not just what's the bit depth as recorded in the WAV header.

Someone posted a free bit depth plugin a while back, I think...let me see if I can find it. (Or perhaps someone will chime in with their knowledge of SF.)

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »
I use to use SF and the number in the lower panel is just the info from the wav header.  I don't know if it has a bit rate meter as part of the program. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
Thanks guys for the help here.  I could open a 24 bit wav file in SF and go to Process>Bit Depth Converter and it would show the current bit depth and sample rate of the wav file, wouldn't it?  That might be the closest thing to a bit meter other than the panels at the bottom.  I made the mistake on my first attempt at recording at 24/48, didn't switch the UA5 to 48 kHz and the wav file opened in SF as 24 bit, 44,1000 sample rate so I know it tells you the bit depth and sample rate of the wav file you opened, but as far as the bit depth of the data itself I'm not sure.  I guess I just don't understand the difference.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
I could open a 24 bit wav file in SF and go to Process>Bit Depth Converter and it would show the current bit depth and sample rate of the wav file, wouldn't it?

Maybe.  I'm not sure how SF captures that information.  It might simply show the bit depth and sample rate in the WAV header, and not the actual bit depth and sample rate of the data itself.  More on that in a minute.

FWIW, Jason provided a couple plugin bit-meter options here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,123142.msg1640080.html#msg1640080

I know it tells you the bit depth and sample rate of the wav file you opened, but as far as the bit depth of the data itself I'm not sure.  I guess I just don't understand the difference.

Very basically, a WAV file is made up of two different parts:  the header and the data.*  The header stores merely descriptive information about the data within the file:  stereo or mono, bit depth, sample rate, etc.  The data itself is, well...the data itself, and is encoded however the ADC outputs it.  Here's the thing:  the header and the data don't have to match...and they don't always.

Usually, when there's a mismatch, it's because the header sample rate doesn't match the data sample rate.  For example, the header says the file is 48k, but the data is actually 44.1k.  But most software simply checks the header to find out the file format information, like bit depth, sample rate, etc.:  if the header says the file is 24-bit, then the software assumes it's correct.  The result:  the software plays the file at 48k, even though the data's actually 44.1k...and the recording sounds too fast, like chipmunks singing -- it's very easy to identify when mismatches in sample rate occur

But there can also be a mismatch between the header's bit depth and the data's bit depth.  For example, the header can say the file is 24-bit, but the data itself might only be 16-bit.  When the bit depth is mismatched, though, you probably can't hear the difference...hence the need for a bit meter that actually reads the data itself, rather than relying on the header information.  And that's why you need a "bit meter"...to read the format of the data itself, not the header.  Some software has this feature built-in, others require plugins, like the ones linked above.  Clear as mud?  :P

* Lots more detailed info here:  WAV PCM soundfile format

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
thanks i had similar issues with the MTI, and despite the fact that many here have said the MTII is 100% relable, i still am wary of using one as a primary recorder

Hoo boy. I just finished five days (10 hours/day) live recording, using the MicroTrack II as the bit-bucket for most of it. I have some things to report ... but I need a night's sleep first.

A quick summary, though: In general it worked very well, but because of a few glitches (one of which may have cost me nearly three hours of a valuable recording) I don't quite trust this recorder yet. Still, it seems close to being a rather great little recording device, I think.

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »
Thanks for all this info Brian.  It's a bit overwhelming since I'm new at this 24 bit thing.  I did play a 24 bit file decoded back to wav from a flac and it's normal speed (no chipmunks lol).

I was able to create flac files with cd wav editor and came out with 1.48 gb which I'm told is normal for level 8 compression.  I just don't know why Flac Frontend is compressing it to under 1 gb total file size.

I've uploaded the source and have a few tapers who are grabbing it and they'll tell me if I screwed up or it doesn't sound like 24 bit.

I agree I'm not 100% comfortable with the Microtrack II recording 24 bit even though SF shows it as 24/48 and cd wav editor does too.  I'll try 24/96 the next time with my UA5 and see what happens!

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »
My last recording (mics>v3spdif>mt2) attempt had a strange result.  Had my v3 set at 48khz...recorded in 24 bit.  The saved files showed up as 24bit 44.1 khz.  I assumed that I must've mistakenly left the v3 at 44.1.  When I went to edit, the files loaded as 44.1, but on playback, were slow and dragging.  I changed them, not converted to 48khz and they sounded fine.  First time something like that's happened to me and found it a bit weird that the mt2 gave them a 44.1 header.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2009, 09:18:54 PM »
no it wouldnt. if you guys are talking about what i think you are (16bit files masquerading as 24-bit), it is actually a 24-bit data file, but the last 8bits are all zeros.

2 ways to do it:
use the bit depth meter link, or wavelab has that as well as a standard feature

record something into it peaking at really low levels, like -50 or below, then normalize it to zero. you'll know right away if you were working with 24 bits of data

Thanks guys for the help here.  I could open a 24 bit wav file in SF and go to Process>Bit Depth Converter and it would show the current bit depth and sample rate of the wav file, wouldn't it?  That might be the closest thing to a bit meter other than the panels at the bottom.  I made the mistake on my first attempt at recording at 24/48, didn't switch the UA5 to 48 kHz and the wav file opened in SF as 24 bit, 44,1000 sample rate so I know it tells you the bit depth and sample rate of the wav file you opened, but as far as the bit depth of the data itself I'm not sure.  I guess I just don't understand the difference.

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline engorgement

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
Stupid question maybe...
Just bought a battery box(SP-SPSB-11) for my microtrack 2.
I also bought a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, but I picked the wrong one, the not ballanaced one.
My question is if I can use the ordinary mic input with this bb(its 12v) without frying my mic(sony ecm-719, I have ca-14 ordered).

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »
I just got a Hydra 1/8 to 2 TRS's to use with my MTII, but it isn't balanced.  Am I going to have problems using this cable?  If so what are you guys using that will work?  Someone please steer me in the right direction.  I have read the thread, but doesn't seem to confirm any cable that will for sure work.  Thanks
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2009, 10:30:38 AM »
Hopping on the MT II thread to learn about my recently purchase...
retired

Offline DeepCreatures

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »
Hopping on the MT II thread to learn about my recently purchase...

2nd this - just purchased one myself and have been reading up on things.
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »
I just got a Hydra 1/8 to 2 TRS's to use with my MTII, but it isn't balanced.  Am I going to have problems using this cable?  If so what are you guys using that will work?  Someone please steer me in the right direction.  I have read the thread, but doesn't seem to confirm any cable that will for sure work.  Thanks

You'll be fine with the cable you purchased as long as you keep the gain on the mt2 all the way down.  If you don't have an external preamp and will need to use the gain on the recorder, you'll need a specially wired cable.  Sound pro's or several cable makers here at ts can build you one.  For what it's worth, I would look at running an external pre with the mt2.  It's internal pre is a tad noisy, even running at low levels of gain.  Do some living room testing with a quiet background.  Record and increase your gain.  On playback you'll heAR and get a feel for where your limits are on the pre.  I think mine got a bit noisy around 1/3 of the way up on gain increase.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com