Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder with Line In like the Tascam DR-05X  (Read 193 times)

Offline clover182

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Amateur taper, looking for information.Site listed
    • clover182bootlegs
Recorder with Line In like the Tascam DR-05X
« on: May 31, 2024, 11:34:12 AM »
Been looking around at the Tascam DR-05(x) and I have heard people saying that it does not have "line in" capabilities, thus leading to low/awful recordings. I had been planning to buy this recorder to use with a SP-CMC-2A and a 9V Battery box, thus using the Line In.

Are there any alternative recorders that I can use, or is what I am reading wrong? Preferably within the same price range £50-£70

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193560.0 I reading this saying it can be used with a battery box via line in, hence confusion.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 12:19:02 PM by clover182 »

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Recorder with Line In like the Tascam DR-05X
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 01:55:21 PM »
The DR-05 input is listed as a "Mic/Ext In" so I'm not 100% sure about the which side of the voltage spectrum it's really on.  I'm assuming it's on the Mic In side.

As I understand things, (and put it in simple terms) a Mic In will be "hotter" as the output from the Mic itself is relatively low and needs the boost.  A Line In would be expecting a higher input level from something other than a Mic so it will not boost the incoming signal as much so the comments about NOT having a Line In (meaning it's a Mic In) and low recordings don't seem to make sense.  If anything, it would be the opposite?  Maybe someone like Gutbucket who has actual technical knowledge could address this. 

I only have a non-X version of the DR-05 and just plugged in a 9v battery box with a set of CA14s and it seemed to be ok.  (Qualifier - I can't crank up the music to truly test it that loud right now).

If you do want to look at a low(er) cost alternative, the Roland R-07 is tough to beat.  It's smaller and has bluetooth connectivity.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recorder with Line In like the Tascam DR-05X
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 03:17:03 PM »
The DR-05(x) has a combination mic/line input with variable gain covering the entire range without switching. However, with the gain reduced to absolute minimum (gain cannot be reduced to zero), the input is still more sensitive (less headroom) than a well designed consumer -10dbV line input. The record level will go over 0dbfs (as in will digitally clip) with 500mV (0.5V) rms or more. This is dangerously close to the -10dbV standard level of 316mV (0.316mV). Most line level devices have much more output headroom than this (classic example being CD players). This makes things unpredictable for high output condenser mic sources. Depending on the mic sensitivity and battery supply voltage, the 05 input could easily clip. One advantage of using an external battery box is an in-line pad/attenuator can be inserted between the box and the recorder input to get the mic dynamic range to match more closely with the recorder’s input dynamic range/headroom.
By the way, the Roland R-07 uses a similar analog processing chip as the DR-05/07, and has the same issue with minimum gain. I built an in-line variable attenuator for a friend with an R-07 so he could tame the RCA line output feed from his DJ mixer to prevent clipping the recorder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com