Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-26 - initial review  (Read 35533 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Roland R-26 - initial review
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:50 AM »
I don't see anybody else here using the R26 and I was quite surprised at how little interest there was amongst tapers. Yes, it would have been better to get rid of some/all the internals and provide more mic/line inputs, but it is what it is. Well, it looks like I'm the guinea pig here, and so far, a very happy guinea pig. I finally decided to buy the R26 for the XLR's (with P48) and the 4-channel possibilities with a 1/8" plug in stereo mic, and the apparent ease to change levels for both pairs of mics on the fly. I won't use (or very much doubt I will use) the internals, so I'm never going to realise the 6 channels, but 4 channels is enough for me. I also went for the R26 after reading favourable reviews of the preamps which are apparently at least on a par with the R44 preamps. The recorder only arrived a few days ago so I have not had chance to exhaustively review it but I will tell you what I can.

Size? Yes it's a bit on the chunky side, and certainly bigger than I am used to (R09HR), but still stealthable. For 4 or 6 channels with XLR input and phantom power the size is actually quite remarkable.

I had 2 concerns prior to buyng the recorder: (i) the dual hold/power switch; and (ii) the hold switch does not disengage the level dials. My initial concern re the dual power/hold switch was allayed prior to purchase when I read the manual in detail from which it is stated that it is not possible to accidently power the unit off (whilst trying to engage 'hold') when in recording mode. I have tested this for myself and can confirm that it is NOT possible to accidently power down the unit whilst recording if you push the hold button the wrong way. That's a huge relief (although a daft design in the first place). My other initial concern was that the hold function does not lock the record level dials. That is still the case. This seems to be a common feature of a lot of new recorders now e.g. Sony M10, Tascam DR100Mkii, Olympus LS100 etc. I am resigned to taping these dials down for peace of mind during a show, but having finally got hold of the unit I can say it would be difficult (but not impossible) to accidently nudge these during a show.

The R26 uses a touch screen, and whilst I am not used to a touch screen phone, I found it very easy and intuitive to use. All the record settings you need to make on the touch screen would be made before the show, i.e. no. of channels, no. of mics, mic source(s), phantom power, mic sensitivity(s), bit depth, sample rate etc. Once these are all dialled in before the show, you don't need to use the touch screen again, the only thing to adjust at the show (after plugging the mics in and pressing the 'record/rec pause' button) would be the input level via the 2 level dials. When working in 4 channels (or 2 channels with independent left and right XLR input) these 2 level dials are very easy to adjust independently with each being clearly labelled and concurrently visible on the large screen so that there's no need to toggle or switch over in menus from one to the other.

The range on the input level dials is from 0 to 100, I haven't yet worked out where unity setting is. I'm going to start off at about 35 at my first show (with mic sensitivity on the lowest setting) and take it from there.  You can set the sensitivity of all the input microphones separately. For the XLR's, there is a huge range in sensitivity calibrated in 12 stages from +4dBu to -62dBu. The plug in mics can be set to low/med/high sensitivity, as can the internals (both omni and cards).

Whilst I have not tested the recorder in a concert environment yet, the preamps have been tested by www.avisoft.com. They report equivalent self-noise A-weighted of -124dBu for the R26 XLR analog in. This compares favourably with most of the listed recorders regarded as 'competition', although obviously the R26 is not in the same league (or price bracket) as SD722 / FR-2LE / DR680 / Marantz 671 etc etc.

I have however had the chance to carry out some power tests at home. The unit uses 4 x AA's and the manual says it is good for 10 hours when recording at 16/44 using the internals (with phantom power off). So I was expecting a realistic record time of around 3-4 hours with thirsty external mics with P48 on and at a higher resolution such as 24/96. How wrong I was - very impressive results. For the initial tests (2-channel, phantom power on) I used 2 x Nevaton MCE-400's with XLR (rated current draw 10mA each mic), 2-channel analog XLR-in, P48 on, recording 24 bit at 96kHz on to a SanDisk 32GB SDHC (Class 4) card. The results were as follows:
(a) 4 x Energizer Ultimate Lithiums - maximum record time = >9 hrs 5 mins - the batteries were not fully drained, but were down to 1 bar and would have died soon
(b) 4 x Energizer Rechargeable 2300mAh Ni-Mh, charged, discharged, charged, tested (capacities measured 2410/2340/2380/2380mAH) - maximum record time = 6 hrs 20 mins.
I then did a further test on a 4-channel 24/96 recording set-up going analog in with 2 x XLR's with P48 (as above) and line-in with a pair of CA-14>preamp>line in (plug-in-power off). The maximum record time in that 4-channel test with the Energizer 2300mAh Ni-Mh rechargeables was = 5 hrs 50 mins.

There is not much difference between the 2 and 4-channel set up with the rechargeables, presumably because phantom power is by far the dominant factor and present in both tests. Given that I got over 9 hours with Enegizer Ultimate Lithiums on 2-channel P48, I'm guessing I would get at least 8 hours on a 4-channel P48 recording with the same batteries. I might sacrifice another pack of batteries to confirm this.

These record times with phantom power in 2 or 4-channel mode are very impressive to my mind. This gives me the comfort to easily record the opening band and a 2 hour main act without any juice worries whatsoever. Also, this easily extends into festivals where a simple change of AA batteries could be made at some appropriate point during the day. 

From what I've seen so far, and read on other reviews (lack of digital-in aside which is not a concern for me) at this price the R26 gets the better of most, if not all, XLR-P48 handhelds in its class in terms of number of channels, battery life and probably preamp quality too.  So far so good and I am really looking forward to testing this out for real later this month!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Roland R-26 - initial review
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Nice beginning report, thanks!  ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
Nice to hear you are enjoying it! The touch screen is an interesting idea and it will probably be fine for a lot of tapers uses. In fact changing settings on touch screen devices may be faster since you don't have to navigate with a cursor/marker like on most recorders.
The m10 hold switch doubles as power switch so its never been an issue. Do you think the r26 switch has some resistance behind it? Also, I'd rather have a hold switch that I can tape down than NO hold switch.
Do you know the the r26 hold switch provide a partial hold like the pmd661 or does it lock everything down?

thanks for the review!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:15:41 AM »
Nice to hear you are enjoying it! The touch screen is an interesting idea and it will probably be fine for a lot of tapers uses. In fact changing settings on touch screen devices may be faster since you don't have to navigate with a cursor/marker like on most recorders.
The m10 hold switch doubles as power switch so its never been an issue. Do you think the r26 switch has some resistance behind it? Also, I'd rather have a hold switch that I can tape down than NO hold switch.
Do you know the the r26 hold switch provide a partial hold like the pmd661 or does it lock everything down?

thanks for the review!

When you say 'resistance', do you mean resistance to pressing one way rather than the other? If so, then yes, if you push the switch towards 'power on/off' then there is resistance and you have to press it in for 2-3 secs for power to come on/off. If you push the opposite way it is easier and engages 'hold'. It seems to lock everything except the level dials. I have tried to stop, power off and change settings on the menu but the hold has always prevented this.

Offline kenyee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Thanks....been waiting for a review of it for a while.
Only thing that I wonder about is the cost....i.e., for the cost, you can get a Tascam DR100mkII (for XLR recording) and the DR-40 (for mics) to get 4 channel recording...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:12:07 AM by kenyee »

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
Thanks....been waiting for a review of it for a while.
Only thing that I wonder about is the cost....i.e., for the cost, you can get a Tascam DR100mkII (for XLR recording) and the DR-40 (for mics) to get 4 channel recording...

It probably depends where you live. You can get the R26 for £350 in the UK. It would cost me about £130 for a DR-40 and £240 for a DR100mkii. The situation is probably different in the US.

But I would say that with the R26 the battery life is better than reported on Tapersection for either of the Tascams (significantly better than the DR100mkii) and the preamps are also better than the DR-40 and the DR100mkii (according to the www.avisoft.com tests), plus of course it is a 4-track all in one, not 2 decks. I think the R26 is about 1 inch taller than both of the Tascams.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:00:39 AM by yates7592 »

Offline ianmacd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »
Thanks for the write-up.

I was planning to buy a the DR-100 MK II, but am beginning to get cold feet now, after hearing about that unit's battery issues.

I've been very happy with the R-09HR and the R-26 looks like it could be a very nice unit for phantom power.

I'll have to do some more reading. If it's not this, it'll probably be a Marantz PMD661, but that's a lot more expensive and has been on the market longer, so it might be replaced before long.

Anyway, thanks again.
Factory-matched Schoeps CCM 41V microphones -> Marantz PMD661 recorder with Oade Concert Mod
Factory-matched DPA 4060 microphones -> DPA MMA6000 amplifier -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:51 AM »
I did another test with a fresh pack of Eneloops XX 2500mAh rechargeables (charged/discharged several times, ave. power 2600mAh-2700mAh), 2-channel on P48 phantom power with the Nevatons - got over 7 hours....

Offline climbingbear

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shut up & DANce
    • my recordings on lma:
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
i just completed an online purchase of one of these edirol r-26's.  after reading this review and wanting a multitrack recorder for a while, im super psyched for its arrival.

ive been running an r-09 since spring of 2006.  the r-09 is the only recorder ive owned--  & in the past 6 years ive beat it up pretty good and it still works like new.
im looking forward to taping a weekend festival this week, with the r-26.

anyone else have experiance working with this recorder?  any advice?
minimalism - its the least you can do.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:51 AM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have only run mine once using 2-channel so far. It worked very well. I was using Nevatons with XLR's and P48 with rechargeables. I taped a 2 hour show onto the Sandisk 32gB card and it worked flawlessly, consecutive files are seamless. My levels were around 40 with reasonably loud music and it came out a bit quiet (peak around -19dB). Next time I am going to go for 50 on the analog in. In fact I'm doing a 4-channel set up this weekend with line-in so will report back. The line-in is hotter than the analog-in so I will set the line-in levels lower, maybe 40.

BTW there is a firmware revision on the Roland site that now allows you to set the analog input levels separately on both channels when using 4 or 6 channels.

runonce

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have only run mine once using 2-channel so far. It worked very well. I was using Nevatons with XLR's and P48 with rechargeables. I taped a 2 hour show onto the Sandisk 32gB card and it worked flawlessly, consecutive files are seamless. My levels were around 40 with reasonably loud music and it came out a bit quiet (peak around -19dB). Next time I am going to go for 50 on the analog in. In fact I'm doing a 4-channel set up this weekend with line-in so will report back. The line-in is hotter than the analog-in so I will set the line-in levels lower, maybe 40.

BTW there is a firmware revision on the Roland site that now allows you to set the analog input levels separately on both channels when using 4 or 6 channels.

Ok - now Im confused - are  you tracking on the fly? (consecutive files seamless?)

Also - "The line-in is hotter than the analog-in" - Not sure how to reconcile that one? Line In IS analog in...(as is mic in)

-19 is a bit low...I think a lot 24 bit guys like -6

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »
Yes, I'm talking about consecutive 2GB files being seamless.

Re 'hotter', probably the worng term. The maximum input for the XLR 'analog' is +24dBu. The max input for the plug-in mic input is +4dBu.

Yes -19dB is too low, so I will up the input level next time. I usually shoot for about -10dB. Depends what mics you are using though.

runonce

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »
Yes, I'm talking about consecutive 2GB files being seamless.

Re 'hotter', probably the worng term. The maximum input for the XLR 'analog' is +24dBu. The max input for the plug-in mic input is +4dBu.

Yes -19dB is too low, so I will up the input level next time. I usually shoot for about -10dB. Depends what mics you are using though.

Is 2GB the biggest file it can record?

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »
Yes, that's the same as the majority of recorders. But of course you can record as many consecutive 2GB files as your SDHC card will hold. I'm using a 32GB SanDisc (which works great with the R-26).

Offline climbingbear

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shut up & DANce
    • my recordings on lma:
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:18:43 AM »
i really want to know how recording on the fly with all six tracks goes.  i figuring, 1 external stereo mic(2 channel), stereo sbd lines (2 channel xlr lines) & 1 stereo internal mics(2 channel).  i hope its easy to match up to get a great matrix sound.     im sure i'll be asking how to matrix this type of set up in some later posts.
minimalism - its the least you can do.

Offline randelph

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »
Hi- if you or anyone else reading this thread gets the chance to use the internal mics I'd be very interested to hear the reports!

I do a lot of recording using the internal mics of my Edirol R-09, and have been less than happy with them.  I suppose them being omni mics contributes to what sounds like an indistinct sound field, somewhat hollow, when recording gigs, rehearsals, etc. 

Using just the internal mics, I'd love to have a recorder that captured a sound that was very close to being there, and I'm at least imagining that having both omni and condenser mics to blend to taste in a DAW would bring a good combination of direct and ambient sound.

Offline shaftpolls

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »
Hi mates !

I also own a R-26. It's a nice device..

Let me share with you my last recording using it.

Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SSai73CZ34

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 12:22:37 AM »
Hi- if you or anyone else reading this thread gets the chance to use the internal mics I'd be very interested to hear the reports!

I do a lot of recording using the internal mics of my Edirol R-09, and have been less than happy with them.  I suppose them being omni mics contributes to what sounds like an indistinct sound field, somewhat hollow, when recording gigs, rehearsals, etc. 

Using just the internal mics, I'd love to have a recorder that captured a sound that was very close to being there, and I'm at least imagining that having both omni and condenser mics to blend to taste in a DAW would bring a good combination of direct and ambient sound.

My 2 cents worth...  spending $500 on an R26 to get better internal mics may not be your best strategy.  For that money I would get external mics and a pre to go with the R09.  If you want to go on the cheap, and/or just insisting on internal mics for convenience, the Zoom H2's and H4's have significantly better internal mics than the R09, and are more like $100.

I'm thinking I need an R26 for my "small bag".... MK4 active setup and VMS42 into the R26, probably using the minijack and save the XLRs for board patches, but maybe the other way around.  Size is 3.25 x 7.1 x 1.6" (82 x 180 x 41mm) ... a PMD660 is  4.5 x 7.2 x 1.8" (113 x 184 x 47mm) so it's about the same length, but an inch narrower.  Cool.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:28:41 AM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »
any more field tests on this one?

the usual questions apply:
- able to record multi track at the same time?  answer seems to be 'yes'
- can plug in power be shut off so you could, perhaps run a board feed into it while using the xlr for mics?
- can 48v be shut off so i could go mics>pre>xlr in?

thanks!
chris

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

- can plug in power be shut off so you could, perhaps run a board feed into it while using the xlr for mics?

thanks!
chris

'Yes' to all the above. Phantom power and plug-in power is selectable/deselectable for all inputs.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »
Can the R-26 be powered externally??

thanks!
chris

'Yes' to all the above. Phantom power and plug-in power is selectable/deselectable for all inputs.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 03:26:02 AM »

[

Yes I believe it can although I have never used that. I don't think you would need it in the majority of circumstances as you can get 7 hours on P48 with Eneloops rechargeables.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:49 AM »
<snip> you can get 7 hours on P48 with Eneloops rechargeables.

What's the draw on the mics you were using?

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
I was under the initial impression the 3.5mm input was only a mic level input but it looks like after reading the specs that you can set the sensitivity to low which allows a max input of +4dBu. That should be good for most any SBD feed.

Also, their brochure for this recorder states that the mic preamps were "directly inherited" from the R-44...which is nice.

Apologies if these things are already common knowledge.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »
<snip> you can get 7 hours on P48 with Eneloops rechargeables.

What's the draw on the mics you were using?

I am using 2 x Nevaton MCE400's rated at 10mA per mic.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
I was under the initial impression the 3.5mm input was only a mic level input but it looks like after reading the specs that you can set the sensitivity to low which allows a max input of +4dBu. That should be good for most any SBD feed.

Yes, true, there is a menu setting where you can set the sensitivity of both the XLR and 3.5mm inputs. The sensitivity of the XLR's moves in 12 stages from -62dBu to +4dBu (this gives a maximum input level of +24dBu at the lowest sensitivitiy setting). For the 3.5mm input, the sensitvity is in the 3 stages as low, medium and high, with low giving a maximum input level of +4dBu.

BTW there is also an 'auto-sens' feature whereby you can let the recorder 'listen' to the source input and automatically select the optimum sensitvity. Sounds kind of dangerous, so I haven't used it myself!

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »

Yes, true, there is a menu setting where you can set the sensitivity of both the XLR and 3.5mm inputs. The sensitivity of the XLR's moves in 12 stages from -62dBu to +4dBu (this gives a maximum input level of +24dBu at the lowest sensitivitiy setting). For the 3.5mm input, the sensitvity is in the 3 stages as low, medium and high, with low giving a maximum input level of +4dBu.

BTW there is also an 'auto-sens' feature whereby you can let the recorder 'listen' to the source input and automatically select the optimum sensitvity. Sounds kind of dangerous, so I haven't used it myself!

So have you tried to take a hot SBD feed into the 3.5mm input just to confirm?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
What is the DC input voltage??  5v??

[

Yes I believe it can although I have never used that. I don't think you would need it in the majority of circumstances as you can get 7 hours on P48 with Eneloops rechargeables.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »

So have you tried to take a hot SBD feed into the 3.5mm input just to confirm?
[/quote]

I wish! I am a pure stealth taper, never had a board feed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:01:13 PM by yates7592 »

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »

Sorry, I don't know.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »

9-16V/1.2A

You should check out the batteries they recommend as being compatible...they're all huge lithium batteries designed for video cameras ($200+ in price but will run the recorder with P48 on for 30+ hours). For some reason they're recommending voltages around 14V...but if it's rated 9-16V it seems like the DVD batteries should work just fine.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »

9-16V/1.2A

You should check out the batteries they recommend as being compatible...they're all huge lithium batteries designed for video cameras ($200+ in price but will run the recorder with P48 on for 30+ hours). For some reason they're recommending voltages around 14V...but if it's rated 9-16V it seems like the DVD batteries should work just fine.

My thoughts exactly!   I'm thinking about grabbing one  8)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:30:41 PM by jmbell »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »
I am using 2 x Nevaton MCE400's rated at 10mA per mic.

Thanks!  And sorry: if I had re-read your initial post I would have known that...

Now, the question is what do the Nevatons really draw?  There have been some posts suggesting that the 10 mA figure may be off (such as http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=155741.msg1968723#msg1968723 and http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=85379.msg1372993#msg1372993).  If it really does 7 hours with 10 mA mics, that's pretty impressive!

Another question: do the XLR inputs lock?  I can't really tell from the pictures I saw...

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 10:14:03 AM »
The XLRs don't lock. but are pretty tight.

The external power is negative center post, like the Edirol R44 (also the same 9-16V, 1.2A).  Why do they do this???  Anyway, the same battery and reversing polarity cable (Radio Shack K tip) I use for the R44 should run the R-26 fine.

You need to use low sensitivity on the 1/8" input with line-in, or the brickwalling is horrible.  With low sens setting I can use roughly the settings on my MMA6000 (one 2.5 dB click lower) that I have calibrated for my usual D50 line-in (knob at 7.5), with the R-26 setting knob at 50. 

The Avisoft numbers for it look pretty crummy, but if it has the R44 preamps it should be okay.  I am planing to use it travelling where I don't want to risk the Sonosax MiniR82, it is  bulkier than the Sonosax and about as heavy.  I will be running it 4 track with Nevaton MKE400s on "analog in" and DPA4099s > MMA6000 on 1/8" input.

Jeff

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »
Anyone know of a case for the R-26?

Anything other than the one from Roland (overpriced) or the Portabrace (overkill)?

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
Just FYI (since I have not seen this issue addressed yet):

I'm doing some testing right now. If you are using a 9v DVD battery to power this unit the "EXT-POWER" setting needs to be set to "ADAPTOR" and not the 9v voltage setting -- (and yes they used the wrong spelling of adapter  ::))

I received a "Low Battery" message and it shut off within < 1 minute when I had 9v selected.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The external power is negative center post, like the Edirol R44 (also the same 9-16V, 1.2A).  Why do they do this???  Anyway, the same battery and reversing polarity cable (Radio Shack K tip) I use for the R44 should run the R-26 fine.

Not sure why you are using the K tip...it kind of fits but not very good at all. The M tip is a perfect fit and what the R-44 uses.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:51:08 PM by ashevillain »

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 05:41:32 AM »
Roland R-26 or Marantz PMD661?

Please help me decide. My priority are best pre-amp and A/D converter.

I should add that the Roland R-26 should be compared to the OADE modified PMD661 ( as I would get that, if I pull the trigger).

Cheers, Mauro
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 07:23:59 AM »
Does this have a digital input?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
Does this have a digital input?

Nope, otherwise this would be perfect, IMHO.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
Just got mine in the mail yesterday and so far i am very pleased with the unit.  Feels real nice in the hand and the menu/touch screen is pretty intuitive.  Looking forward to running this soon.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
Pres:
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »

I should add that the Roland R-26 should be compared to the OADE modified PMD661 ( as I would get that, if I pull the trigger).

Cheers, Mauro

Mauro,  I may have a stock 661 (not oade) in near mint condition up for sale after a few test runs with the r26.

Mics:
Pres:
Recs:

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »

Cheers, Mauro

Mauro,  I may have a stock 661 (not oade) in near mint condition up for sale after a few test runs with the r26.

very tempted! Let me check if I should pay tax on second-hand equipment. If not, I send you a PM.
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline nsureit

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Someone turned the red light on!
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »
This is a brief synopsis, but Electronic Musician gave it the 2012 Editor's Pick Award.

TASCAM DR-40

Roland R-26

SO THAT''S WHAT COAT POCKETS ARE FOR
TIE: TASCAM DR-40 and Roland R-26
Field recording is big, and these two are two of the best
We really didn''t want any ties, but what other choice is there when two products fall into the same category yet offer differing visions of excellence? With the DR-40, TASCAM nailed the affordable, multitrack recorder for musicians by including all of the Important Stuff: four tracks, variable speed, long battery life, small size, lower-level “safety track” recording, built-in reverb, and a truly affordable price. The larger R-26 costs considerably more, but hits the high end of field recording, offering up to three stereo tracks for ambient and surround recording, two stereo mic types (omni and directional), and a navigation touchscreen that''s both large and friendly. It''s also compatible with Roland''s CS-10EM binaural mics/earphones package. ''Nuff said. Tie granted.
Fairly New To Taping World

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »
Ran mine last night for the first time and my typical "F-Up my First Recording with New Gear" did not occur.  I ran my akg 480/a60/ck1 > Sonosax SX-M2 (mini TRS out) > R-26 TRS Mini In and used the R-26 Analog XLR inputs for the SBD.  Great recorder!!

Mics:
Pres:
Recs:

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
Ran mine last night for the first time and my typical "F-Up my First Recording with New Gear" did not occur.  I ran my akg 480/a60/ck1 > Sonosax SX-M2 (mini TRS out) > R-26 TRS Mini In and used the R-26 Analog XLR inputs for the SBD.  Great recorder!!

Nice. Seems like a pint-sized alternative to the R-44 in many respects. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
Nice. Seems like a pint-sized alternative to the R-44 in many respects. 

After running the R-26 a number of times now, I feel like the R-26 sounds better than the R-44. I know Roland says the mic pre is the same so IDK...maybe it's the A/D that sounds better? I've not done any scientific tests so take this statement with a grain of salt.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
Sounds very promising for when I go 4 chan schoeps
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline sacchini

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
I see just little interest in Roland R-26; I mean, a few reviews and it got no vote about favorite recorder.
Is it not worth the price?
Or just left in shop 'cause too big (compared to Sony PCM-M10) or too weak (compared to Marantz, Sound Devices, Fostex and so on)?
In a few months time I need to buy a recorder and I like R-26 features: more than 2 tracks (true, not the same at different levels or one locked to internal mics), XLR 48V powered, long battery life...
I'd like to know if preamp is ok for rock shows (not quiet at all) and what are main cons.

runonce

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
I see just little interest in Roland R-26; I mean, a few reviews and it got no vote about favorite recorder.
Is it not worth the price?
Or just left in shop 'cause too big (compared to Sony PCM-M10) or too weak (compared to Marantz, Sound Devices, Fostex and so on)?
In a few months time I need to buy a recorder and I like R-26 features: more than 2 tracks (true, not the same at different levels or one locked to internal mics), XLR 48V powered, long battery life...
I'd like to know if preamp is ok for rock shows (not quiet at all) and what are main cons.

I have to wonder if folks interested in multi-channel recorders are opting to spend a few more bucks for the TASCAM DR-680 - seems only about 50 bucks more if you shop around...

And if they arent needing multi-track - the TASCAM DR100mkII and Sonys M10 are cheaper.

That would be my thinking...

Offline sacchini

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 03:49:46 AM »
I have to wonder if folks interested in multi-channel recorders are opting to spend a few more bucks for the TASCAM DR-680 - seems only about 50 bucks more if you shop around...
And if they arent needing multi-track - the TASCAM DR100mkII and Sonys M10 are cheaper.
I see your thoughts... but DR-680 is not only more expensive (in Italy I would pay it the double of R-26) but also far bigger and heavier.
R-26 is on the edge of "wearable" (or even stealth...) size and weight; DR-680 is intended for differente usage, I think.

runonce

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
I see your thoughts... but DR-680 is not only more expensive (in Italy I would pay it the double of R-26) but also far bigger and heavier.
R-26 is on the edge of "wearable" (or even stealth...) size and weight; DR-680 is intended for differente usage, I think.

Lots of guys here running the 680...only about 50 bucks price difference in USA.

Perhaps the R-26 will be a hit in Italy...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:31:56 AM by runonce »

Offline sacchini

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »
Lots of guys here running the 680...only about 50 bucks price difference in USA.
Perhaps the R-26 will a hit in Italy...
Seen the price of DR680 on BH Photo Video; unbelieveble gap compared to Europe!!!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »
Just got an R-26 for a smaller-lighter all-in-one 4ch setup.  Haven't run it in the field, but it's not as small as I thought and definitely the more "plasticky" feel of the Tascam DR-40.  Still, I'd probably opt for this over the 680 unless I needed the extra channels...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »
Just got an R-26 for a smaller-lighter all-in-one 4ch setup.  Haven't run it in the field, but it's not as small as I thought and definitely the more "plasticky" feel of the Tascam DR-40.  Still, I'd probably opt for this over the 680 unless I needed the extra channels...

Damn, I'm envious.  I've debated and debated the R-26, just can't quite get there to pull the trigger.  I'm really getting more and more into a smaller rig (ok, that's been happening for almost 10 years).  I don't need 6 or 8 channels, and I really liked my R44 when I had it.

For 4ch recording, I'd be all over the R-26 -- just can't quite decide whether I feel the need for 4ch recording. I really don't do much in the way of soundboard or soundboard+aud mixes lately, and can't quite convince myself I ever need to run 4ch of mics (to be mixed together that is).  But if I were to get a 4ch recorder, the R-26 would be it -- especially if it really sounds up to par to the R44.  To me, the much smaller size compared to the R44, DR680, and the 744 is a big plus.

So does the R-26 seem more flimsy than the R44?  The R44 is made of plastic, but to me it was a pretty thick plastic and didn't feel "plasticky".  Is the R26 less robust than the R44?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
acidjack, are you able to take pictures of the r26 next to/by/on top of the R-44 to better understand how much smaller it is?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »

Damn, I'm envious.  I've debated and debated the R-26, just can't quite get there to pull the trigger.  I'm really getting more and more into a smaller rig (ok, that's been happening for almost 10 years).  I don't need 6 or 8 channels, and I really liked my R44 when I had it.

For 4ch recording, I'd be all over the R-26 -- just can't quite decide whether I feel the need for 4ch recording. I really don't do much in the way of soundboard or soundboard+aud mixes lately, and can't quite convince myself I ever need to run 4ch of mics (to be mixed together that is).  But if I were to get a 4ch recorder, the R-26 would be it -- especially if it really sounds up to par to the R44.  To me, the much smaller size compared to the R44, DR680, and the 744 is a big plus.

So does the R-26 seem more flimsy than the R44?  The R44 is made of plastic, but to me it was a pretty thick plastic and didn't feel "plasticky".  Is the R26 less robust than the R44?

I think the R-26 definitely feels more flimsy than the -44; to me the -44 is about as solid-feeling as you can get before you head to Sound Devices type pricing.  Of course, "less solid" also means "less heavy" to me.  The finish on it is nice, it has a nice big display and while it's not the size of a stealth deck, it's smaller than the other 4+ channel competition that has P48 (obviously the DR-2D is still smaller). 

Don't get me wrong, at least on initial inspection, it's not "crappy", it just has less of a "pro" feel than the R-44.  And maybe the 661, though I haven't really played with one of those much.

I think if one doesn't want to spend a bunch of money and wants something small with 4ch, it is a very nice option.  I'm sure the onboard pres are pretty similar to what's in the R-44/R-88.

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
Tascam DR-680
Edirol R-44
Roland R-26
Sony M10

Mics:
Pres:
Recs:

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
Some more thoughts from running it last night.  Setup was SBD>XLR ins of the R-26 + MBHO KA500N>Aerco>miniplug in of the R-26

Good:
- Display is the best of any of the recorders I have used.  Large, bright, clear.  Only thing I'd love in addition is the M10 -12 and clip lights
- Touch screen menus are easy to navigate; in general I find the layout and menus to be good the way I find most Roland ones, and therefore the opposite of my thoughts on Tascam.
- Ran it for 2hrs (no phantom) with engergizer lithiums; batt light still at full strength.

Not so good:
- The miniplug input that is styled as a plug in power mic input cannot really be turned into a true line-in as far as I can tell.  Even setting it to LOW and setting the Aerco to 0dB output, I still had to turn the levels pretty far down (around 30) to get a signal in the -12 to -6 range.  I have not tried running SBD into it, but based on this I would be hesitant to run SBD without an attenuator.  Yet, I may try doing so tomorrow just for kicks.  Anyone else have any thoughts here? 
- The XLR connections into it are not locking the way they are on the R-44.  Not necessarily a huge problem but definitely not good.
- In terms of orienting it in a bag, the layout is different than lot of other recorders. I ended up just setting it on top of everything in my Kata and zipping it shut.  With that huge display it made it very easy to read the levels standing up.
- I did not love setting levels using a touch screen.  The big wheels change the main analog levels, but the miniplug input has to be changed using the touch screen itself (meaning you have to unlock the deck to make changes).

I think it is a strong unit. It's smaller and lighter than the -44. Price-wise, the 680 has gotten so cheap that it makes it hard to resist the 680 given that it has such a robust feature set (8 channels, digital input, etc.).  However, the R-26 is simpler to use, and smaller. If you do not need the other features of the 680, I'd recommend this over that.

I think the ideal user is the person who wants a solid all-in-one with P48 who'd like to do matrixes from time to time.  I won't definitively say that the miniplug in can't be used for SBD without an attenuator until I try it a few more times.  This is a better feature set than the DR-2D which is the other machine people use for this same purpose.  Of course, it also costs more.  I'd like to see it come down a touch in price; at $350 or $400 I'd recommend it unreservedly. 

Tomorrow I will try running the deck's pres and (hopefully) get an SBD feed into the miniplug input.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
Thanks for the additional report, AJ!

Overall, it sounds like a nice recorder.  I agree with your assessment too -- at $350-400, this seems like it would be a great recorder.  At $500 or so, I think it then gets hard to ignore the competition of the DR100 mkii or PMD-661 if you want 2ch mainly or the DR680 if you want multi-channel.

On the 3.5mm input -- Roland reports a max input of +4dbu.  This is the nominal output level of professional gear, and since actual output might go above the nominal rating, I'd agree that it might present problems using this input for a soundboard feed.

OTOH, with a +4dbu max input, I think that in most cases one should be able to use this input connected to an external mic preamp for your aud mics, as long as you can set the preamp to provide no more than about 10db gain.  Depends then on you minimum gain from your preamp -- an Oade m148 or PSP2 might be problematic, but I think most other preamps we tend to use in the field have lower minimum gain settings.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »

OTOH, with a +4dbu max input, I think that in most cases one should be able to use this input connected to an external mic preamp for your aud mics, as long as you can set the preamp to provide no more than about 10db gain.  Depends then on you minimum gain from your preamp -- an Oade m148 or PSP2 might be problematic, but I think most other preamps we tend to use in the field have lower minimum gain settings.
Thanks for confirming some of my suspicions on that, Todd. The Aerco outputs pretty hot as well, but anecdotally, I could have gone to +10 gain and still kept the levels in range, I think. 

Attenuators are cheap, at least, if someone wants to go that route.   I do own a couple, so I may try that.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
- The miniplug input that is styled as a plug in power mic input cannot really be turned into a true line-in as far as I can tell.  Even setting it to LOW and setting the Aerco to 0dB output, I still had to turn the levels pretty far down (around 30) to get a signal in the -12 to -6 range.  I have not tried running SBD into it, but based on this I would be hesitant to run SBD without an attenuator.  Yet, I may try doing so tomorrow just for kicks.  Anyone else have any thoughts here? 

I've posted previously [somewhere on this site] about my experiences with this [not sure exactly which thread it was though.]

Basically I found that running the SBD feed into the 1/8" input on LOW will work for all but the hottest of hot SBD signals. For those situations 10dB attenuators would work just fine. If you are entering an unknown situation, might as well just attenuate to be on the safe side. For the one situation where I had clipping, the soundguy had the SBD feed cranked to 11.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:15 AM »

FWIW I have run both Countryman B3's and CA-14's with a battery box into the miniplug input, recording very close to the stage, with levels set at 50 and had no problem peaking at around -12dB. But these are low-sens mics and I think you would get different results with higher sensitivity mics.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Quick update.  Ran the deck last night as follows:

Schoeps MK5>KCY>PFA>R-26 analog ins w/ phantom power ON + SBD>attenuator>R-26 "plug in" power input.

The attenuators were -20dB. 

First, I thought the pres of the unit sounded good. Now this wasn't particularly detailed music - standard config 4-piece rock band - but I do record that  config a lot in this venue.  I didn't hear what I thought was any appreciable loss of quality between this and other recordings I've done with other decks.  I would certainly be fine running this deck on its own.

Second, even after running P48 for another 2 or so hours, the battery meter is still at 100%.  Meaning I have had it on for a total of about 4 hours with 2hrs of that being with P48 and the batts are still going strong.

Third, the attenuators certainly are the way to go if you have any worry about the SBD overloading that PIP input.  The PIP input seems to be pretty quiet and there was no audible distortion or hiss on the SBD.  I could easily have run w/o the attenuators for this as I had the levels up around 50 with them in-line.

Things that still bug me about the unit:
1. I do not love having to change the levels on the PIP with a touch screen. 
2. I do not love that the miniplug in cannot be set to a regular line-in

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 03:30:48 AM »
Thanks for the update.

One point regarding your dislike of setting of miniplug/PIP levels on the touch screen, I agree. But if you set the 'analog in' XLR inputs as 'linked' in the menu, i.e. same input level for L/R channels (using the left side level dial), then the minplug levels can be set with the right hand level dial, not the touch screen. If your XLR mics are reasonably well matched, would it not be ok to set the levels as linked and adjust in post if necessary?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
Thanks for the update.

One point regarding your dislike of setting of miniplug/PIP levels on the touch screen, I agree. But if you set the 'analog in' XLR inputs as 'linked' in the menu, i.e. same input level for L/R channels (using the left side level dial), then the minplug levels can be set with the right hand level dial, not the touch screen. If your XLR mics are reasonably well matched, would it not be ok to set the levels as linked and adjust in post if necessary?
Thanks. Did not realize that. That is very helpful! Do you have to set anything else to get it to do that, or just set the analog ins to "linked"?

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »
^^^^

You're welcome! That's all you have to do, it's in the [Recording > Input Settings > Analog In Settings > Input Type <Linked>] menu

I have always used this cos its a pain in the arse trying to adjust each channel, especially when stealthing.....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:14:15 AM by yates7592 »

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
Note sure if this is common knowledge or not but there is an updated firmware (v1.11) on Roland's site:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1178/downloads/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.28 seconds with 91 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com