Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack 24/96 Firmware 1.4.3 released  (Read 20215 times)

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
Microtrack 24/96 Firmware 1.4.3 released
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:44:37 PM »
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&k=firmware&b=1&s=6&p=196cc4c35a380d800a80448f139bcfe7&o=15&f=739

Changes from v1.4.0 to v1.4.3:

- Added a dialog (with animation) to notify a user when a file deletion is taking place.
- Added animation to the Writing file dialog to show its progressing.
- When manually stopping a recording, if a second recording was started while the first was still being saved, the second recording wouldn't save to disk. Fixed.

Note about deleting files:

We have seen that some media can cause the MicroTrack 24/96 appear to be frozen or stalled when you delete a large file. We have now added a dialog that shows you that the file deletion is taking place (a dialog with an animated hourglass). The delete process can take up to several minutes to complete depending on the size of the file being deleted (the longer the file the longer the time it will take) and the particular media being used. While it is completing, you will not be able to begin a new recording. Because of this, we recommend that if you know that you will be needing to begin a recording quickly, and you need to free up some space on your media, that you delete the files well ahead of the time of your recording session. Even on the fastest media, deleting the largest files (2GB) can take up to 30 seconds to complete. On our worst tested case we found media that took as long as 5 minutes to complete (though the overwhelming majority were much faster than this). Also, as a general rule, it will take longer to delete files from Microdrive based media than from compact flash media.

Tip: You can press the REC button while the file is being deleted and the MicroTrack will begin recording as soon as it finishes the delete operation (if you press the REC button a second time while the file is still being deleted, the recording will be aborted).

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack 24/96 Firmware 1.4.3 released
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:52:43 PM »
Yeah,

I saw this as well today.  It just looks like they took 1.4.1b9 out of beta and made it an official release.  I put it on my MT and did a few simple tests with no issues.

Everyone who owns a MT and uses S/PDIF needs to email them and request that they change it so you can monitor the recording with headphones when using the S/PDIF.

I'm not sure if this is possible but if firmware could fix it, I'd be all set.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 11:58:23 PM »
Yeah,

I saw this as well today.  It just looks like they took 1.4.1b9 out of beta and made it an official release.  I put it on my MT and did a few simple tests with no issues.

Everyone who owns a MT and uses S/PDIF needs to email them and request that they change it so you can monitor the recording with headphones when using the S/PDIF.

that would be nice, and seemingly easy...

pretty happy with the levels though - they were right on with my sbm1/spdif in when i used it this wknd

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:46:05 AM »
Even the simple 2GB fix did not go in. (2.000.000.000 versus 2**31)
They must be really confused.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 01:20:39 AM »

I am guessing this might be more complicated than just firmware, b/c my USBPre (from Sound Devices) was the same way, no headphone monitoring when taking SPDIF in. Must have to do with separate digital and analog signal paths inside, I am guessing for analog in they can just pipe it to the headphone out. For SPDIF in they would need D>A conversion going on at the same time to enable monitoring.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:13:25 AM »

- When manually stopping a recording, if a second recording was started while the first was still being saved, the second recording wouldn't save to disk. Fixed.
has anyone tested this yet?
just wondering how much time it "cuts" off vs having to wait to start a new recording in 1.4.0
seems like you could stop and start right away now and only miss 3 or 4 sec compaired to 6 or 7
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
Using 1.4.3

That was on of my simple tests I mentioned above.  I talked in to my mics, checking left and right, checking the levels, etc. for about 2 mintues and then said "3...2...1...go" on go I hit record twice and started counting "one thousand one, etc." and when I played back the second recording it picked me up just before I finished one thousand seven.

So in my highly scientific testing it worked great and took about 6-7 seconds to save the first file and start a second.  This is great for me.  I've never recorded a gig which had an encore less than seven seconds and I've never recorded a show where I couldn't find a break between songs that was less than 7 seconds.

I haven't tried it manually but I dont' see how you can do it any faster manually than you could do it using the hit the record twice feature.  Maybe I'll try it manually in the next few days but I doubt it.  I really gains me nothing.  Tap, tap, done.  For me this is how I'll always do it.

Of course I'll use manual between sets when bands take extended breaks but to get by the 2 hour limit, I will just use the tap, tap.  6-7 seconds is plenty fast enough for me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:27:28 AM by morningdew »

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 11:32:32 AM »
Thanks for testing.  Since I have control issues I'd rather do the "tap-tap" and force a split at a time of
my choosing rather than an autosplit.  Best case would be not to loose anthing but I can live with 6-7 secs.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 04:50:29 PM »
Thanks for testing.  Since I have control issues I'd rather do the "tap-tap" and force a split at a time of
my choosing rather than an autosplit.  Best case would be not to loose anthing but I can live with 6-7 secs.

What was it again, "record tap-power button tap??" No I know it was something easier. I'll keep practicing....Maybe if I write "tap" in red on each hand, before the show ;D

Seriously, does anyone know if it is necessary to upgrade from the beta 1.4.1b9 to this version? Specifically are they indeed exact, or is it worth re-doing? Any thoughts?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 06:23:12 PM »
Cliff you should know this one.  You have to key in the word "T-A-P" in Morse code using the
record button to get a file split   ;)

Here we go:    -   .-   .--.

Then you can ham it up at shows...

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:57:13 AM »
anyone know if its ok to upgrade to this newest firmware directly from verion 1.2.3? or should i update to all the other versions in progression?

thanks
chris k
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 10:14:26 AM »
anyone know if its ok to upgrade to this newest firmware directly from verion 1.2.3? or should i update to all the other versions in progression?

thanks
chris k

It's a complete replacement firmware. You can upgrade directly to 1.4.3 from any previous version.

J.T.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 12:25:57 PM »
thanks for the record testing
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »
Cliff you should know this one.  You have to key in the word "T-A-P" in Morse code using the
record button to get a file split   ;)

Here we go:    -   .-   .--.

Then you can ham it up at shows...

- , .... , .- , -. , -.- , ... ! ;)

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
- , .... , .- , -. , -.- , ... ! ;)

Anytime!

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 04:22:01 AM »
Ran 1.4.3 tonight.
everything seemed to go ok.  been having problems with the swaping channels pops for the last month or so with the previous firmwares.
no problem tonight.
happy taping
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

slayerrocker

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 01:55:57 PM »
This info is very helpful. Thanks to all.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 12:51:01 AM »
Recorded David Sanborn and Patty Peterson both at the Minnesota Zoo Wed. night with the new firmware. Due to the policy of the evening, I needed to have my light pocketable gear with me. Ran AT 853's into the 1/4" jacks, and all was well, except for a lot of chatter from the crowd.

Neither artist ran long enough for me to do a file split...  :realhappy:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:10:57 AM by dallman »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 10:39:43 AM »

Howdy,

I recorded the Rollins Band & X with the new firmware (24/48) a few nights ago with no problems whatsoever.   :)    :)

I definitely need some help with the setlists for both shows however.  Anyone willing to give me a hand with these two?

:help:

thanks,

David

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 06:08:04 PM »
I recorded The Regina Carter Quintet and David Sanborn at The planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, NY Friday Night.  The MT-24/96 worked great and the performances by both artists were excellent as well.  The "Auto" sample rate detect function seems to work better with the new v1.4.3 firmware I use an  external A/D converter and run at 24/96 always. The old firmware used to incorrectly save the file as 24/44.1 which would play back to slowly.  It was only saving the header incorrectly so no problem to fix it.  It is nice to not have to fudge with the files after you are done however. 

I was in the 3rd row dead center and was amazed that I could even hear David Sanborns fingers on the keys of the Saxophone!  The DS show was about an hour and 15 minutes while Regina Carter played for 60 minutes.  Regina Carters band is amazing if you have never listened to her.  Each of the musicians are top notch and a joy to listen to.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 06:10:21 PM by ghibliss »

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 04:00:00 AM »
Glad to hear the auto sampling rate function is working better.  That seems to be one of the most prominent bugs left. 
Thanks for the report.

I recorded The Regina Carter Quintet and David Sanborn at The planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, NY Friday Night.  The MT-24/96 worked great and the performances by both artists were excellent as well.  The "Auto" sample rate detect function seems to work better with the new v1.4.3 firmware I use an  external A/D converter and run at 24/96 always. The old firmware used to incorrectly save the file as 24/44.1 which would play back to slowly.  It was only saving the header incorrectly so no problem to fix it.  It is nice to not have to fudge with the files after you are done however. 

I was in the 3rd row dead center and was amazed that I could even hear David Sanborns fingers on the keys of the Saxophone!  The DS show was about an hour and 15 minutes while Regina Carter played for 60 minutes.  Regina Carters band is amazing if you have never listened to her.  Each of the musicians are top notch and a joy to listen to.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 09:59:32 AM »

Aw man.. You edited out the part that said your MT recordings were the best you've heard and better than the any of the last 1000 torrents you have downloaded  ;)

When I first read it I was even going to call first dibs on Teddy's gear when he sells everything to buy a bunch of microtracks  :P

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 10:32:31 AM »
Has anyone experienced the following issue?

When I got the MT early on, I ran it at 24/96 with an 8GB Sandisk Ultra II CD card going line-in with the 1/4" connectors, no issues on the early firmware.  I upgraded firmware along the way (now at 1.4.3), but haven't used the MT much.  Friday I tried mic-in at 24/96 on the 1/8" plug and got a horrible clicking noise.  Changed to line-in on the 1/4" and still got the noise.  When I replaced the 8GB card with either a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II or a 4GB Lexar, no noise.  I then tried the 8GB card at different settings, no bad clicking at 16/44.1, none at 16/96, but bad noise (with slower clicking) 24/48 and 24/44.1.  TO check the card, I popped it into a 722 at 24/96 and it worked perfectly.

I have reported this to M-Audio, they have tested 6GB cards (microdrives, I guess) but not 8GB.  I'm pretty sure it worked fine with the original firmware, but seems to be unable to do 24 bits on the present firmware with an 8GB card.  Any ideas what's going on?  Seems totally weird.

Jeff

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 01:50:44 PM »
Has anyone experienced the following issue?

When I got the MT early on, I ran it at 24/96 with an 8GB Sandisk Ultra II CD card going line-in with the 1/4" connectors, no issues on the early firmware.  I upgraded firmware along the way (now at 1.4.3), but haven't used the MT much.  Friday I tried mic-in at 24/96 on the 1/8" plug and got a horrible clicking noise.  Changed to line-in on the 1/4" and still got the noise.  When I replaced the 8GB card with either a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II or a 4GB Lexar, no noise.  I then tried the 8GB card at different settings, no bad clicking at 16/44.1, none at 16/96, but bad noise (with slower clicking) 24/48 and 24/44.1.  TO check the card, I popped it into a 722 at 24/96 and it worked perfectly.

I have reported this to M-Audio, they have tested 6GB cards (microdrives, I guess) but not 8GB.  I'm pretty sure it worked fine with the original firmware, but seems to be unable to do 24 bits on the present firmware with an 8GB card.  Any ideas what's going on?  Seems totally weird.

Jeff

Got the same Flash card, no problems with 24/88.  Haven't tried 24/96, but card should be plenty OK at that rate. 

You may have marginal flash card that slid by QC as OK, or maybe they changed something in the design or production and did not catch the implications on performance under certain conditions like audio stream recording.  Got to realize, these devices are well tested for camera type applications, but NOT for audio recording.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006, 02:05:26 PM »
I recorded the Rollins Band & X with the new firmware

HOw long did they play for...i think im seeing them on thursday.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 03:33:43 PM »

Got the same Flash card, no problems with 24/88.  Haven't tried 24/96, but card should be plenty OK at that rate. 

You may have marginal flash card that slid by QC as OK, or maybe they changed something in the design or production and did not catch the implications on performance under certain conditions like audio stream recording.  Got to realize, these devices are well tested for camera type applications, but NOT for audio recording.

After I got the MT to work fine at 24/96 with a 2GB or 4GB CF card, I suspected my 8GB card, even though if it were a speed question the fact that it works at 16/96 but not at 24/44.1 is anomolous.  But the card works fine in a sound devices 722 at 24/96, so I'm really confused.  Will try re-installing 1.4.3 tomorrow, if you say the 8GB card works with that firmware for you at 24/88.

Jeff

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 05:47:01 PM »

After I got the MT to work fine at 24/96 with a 2GB or 4GB CF card, I suspected my 8GB card, even though if it were a speed question the fact that it works at 16/96 but not at 24/44.1 is anomolous.  But the card works fine in a sound devices 722 at 24/96, so I'm really confused.  Will try re-installing 1.4.3 tomorrow, if you say the 8GB card works with that firmware for you at 24/88.

Jeff

Well glad you asked, as it turns out I just upgraded to 1.4.3 from what I can't quite remember, maybe 1.4.0? or was it 1.4.1b2 ??? 
Anyway, haven't tried recording anything as yet with latest firmware.  Should NOT make any difference, right?

Going out right now and check out 24/88.2 with 8 GIG; let you know if anything's amiss.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 08:00:36 PM »
I recorded the Rollins Band & X with the new firmware

HOw long did they play for...i think im seeing them on thursday.

Rollins Band about 1 hour -  :drummer:   VERY bassy!!  The Rollins Band rocked from start to finish!!!

X about 1 hour & 20 mins -  :guitarist: -

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 10:38:56 PM »

Jeff

Well glad you asked, as it turns out I just upgraded to 1.4.3 from what I can't quite remember, maybe 1.4.0? or was it 1.4.1b2 ??? 
Anyway, haven't tried recording anything as yet with latest firmware.  Should NOT make any difference, right?

Going out right now and check out 24/88.2 with 8 GIG; let you know if anything's amiss.

OK! 

8 GIG Sandisk Ultra II with MT v1.4.3 auto filled two 2GIG 24/88.2 files and started another 700meg file in 2.5 hours recording time off internal battery. 
Just opened File #3, and it plays fine.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »
Thanks very much for this.  M-Audio also has someone with an 8GB Sandisk Ultra II card who also has no trouble at 24/96.  I have downloaded and installed firmware 1.4.3 a second time, and am still getting the trouble I had Friday.  If you and M-Audio have it working without issues, I've got to believe it is not software related, though I had this card running at 24/96 in the MT earlier in the year.  M-Audio suggests it is most likely a CF card issue, and I would like to think it's just a question of replacing the card.  BUT: in the MT the card works fine at all 16 bit settings, including 16/96, but at NO 24 bit setting, including 24/44.1, so it doesn't seem like a speed issue; and the card continues to work fine at 24/96 in a Sound Devices 722 and also at 24/44.1 in an Edirol R1.  I will be trying another Sandisk 8GB card later this week or next week, if that works I'll have to believe I have a bad card for the MT which might also fail in the other machines at some point. 

Jeff

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 10:15:12 PM »
I taped BT back on the 11th with the MT and a Delkin (no not Belkin) at 24/96 and had no issued... but have also not had time to convert it to CD.

The Delkin is a Pro level 8gb CF card, if anyone is antsy for any results, let me know and Ill try and convert it later tonight or tomorrow.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »
Looks like my MT 24/96 issue was the Sandisk card after all.  A new Sandisk 8GB card works fine.  Now to find out from Sandisk why a card that works fine at 24/96 in a SD722 and 24/44.1 in an Edirol R1 won't do 24 bits in a MT.  Damn.

Jeff

Offline willndmb

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2006, 07:28:14 AM »
could i have some help on charging in 1.4.3 please

when i hook up the the comp i see the battery level moving up and then it does it over and over
i thought once it got to be full it would change to CHG for 1 hr then turn into a plug????
once a plug it would not be charging anymore
mine has been "charging" for 10 hrs and is showing a "battery" icon (no longer moving just a battery icon thats shows it to be approx 90% full)
i turned it on were it says files/record settings and so on and it turned to the CHG icon

is it working correct?
thanks

PS mine now does auto split ok
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 08:12:36 AM by willndmb »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2006, 03:19:07 PM »
could i have some help on charging in 1.4.3 please

when i hook up the the comp i see the battery level moving up and then it does it over and over
i thought once it got to be full it would change to CHG for 1 hr then turn into a plug????
once a plug it would not be charging anymore
mine has been "charging" for 10 hrs and is showing a "battery" icon (no longer moving just a battery icon thats shows it to be approx 90% full)
i turned it on were it says files/record settings and so on and it turned to the CHG icon

is it working correct?
thanks

PS mine now does auto split ok

Mine seems to do the same as you report.

As long as the icon is not moving, then the battery is fully charged, or very nearly so as keeping the charge connection may add another 5% or so in few hours time. 

If you unplug, and quickly reconnect, the new firmware keeps the charger from immediately starting another charging cycle that might overcharge, and damage the battery, so this is an improvement for those trying to 'top off' a freshly fully charged battery to maybe damage the cells with too much too soon.

I think the CHG icon means battery has been fully charged, but the external power/charger is connected.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 03:32:41 PM »
thanks +t

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
I upgraded my microtrack to 1.4.3 last night and ran it out of the v3 for billy joe shaver.  I'd been holding off on the upgrade for a lonnnggg time to give things a chance to stabilize and because I didn't want to learn new 'quirks'.

The show went over 2 hours even before the encore. They never left the stage before the encore and they kept right on talking.  So I had to sit there and stress about where I was going to lose part of the show to get around the 2GB limit.. That started around 1:40.   Meanwhile, the r09 beside the microtrack just kept going...  And I wondered why I didn't use the 722 to do this v3 digi vs. v3>r09 comp.

At 1:55, I had to go for it and restart the microtrack recording. Needless to say, I was pissed that I lost part of the show due to the microtrack's 2GB limit.  And when I did do the save it took FOREVER.  That slow save is just incredibly weak ass programming by m-audio or whatever company actually owns the microtrack development.

The v3 is a great digi out device...  It is just sad that the mt is the only small 24 bit digi out device.

So other than losing part of the show the microtrack worked great!

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2006, 09:54:03 AM »
At 1:55, I had to go for it and restart the microtrack recording. Needless to say, I was pissed that I lost part of the show due to the microtrack's 2GB limit. 

Lost part of show = mt screwed up or tape flip?  If it was just a tape flip, try ye ole flip earlier.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2006, 10:30:15 AM »
At 1:55, I had to go for it and restart the microtrack recording. Needless to say, I was pissed that I lost part of the show due to the microtrack's 2GB limit. 

Lost part of show = mt screwed up or tape flip?  If it was just a tape flip, try ye ole flip earlier.

Tape flip earlier = loss of part of show.

My hope in waiting was to get it at the encore break to avoid that loss..  The show did end very shortly after.

Somewhat ironic: my friends taping to DAT had 3 hour tapes and no flip.  I went from a jb3 to a 722, so continuous recording has mostly been the norm. 

It is just funny when vendors pump the microtrack (and their AD products) here and repeatedly try and downplay the 2gb limit by suggesting that almost no shows go 2 hours.

I guess at this point in my life I'm not interested in dealing with products that *COULD* and should record continuously but do not due to poor engineering/poor vendor/etc.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2006, 12:33:27 PM »

My hope in waiting was to get it at the encore break to avoid that loss..  The show did end very shortly after.

Somewhat ironic: my friends taping to DAT had 3 hour tapes and no flip.  I went from a jb3 to a 722, so continuous recording has mostly been the norm. 

It is just funny when vendors pump the microtrack (and their AD products) here and repeatedly try and downplay the 2gb limit by suggesting that almost no shows go 2 hours.

I guess at this point in my life I'm not interested in dealing with products that *COULD* and should record continuously but do not due to poor engineering/poor vendor/etc.

On the DAT issue, to be fair and compare apples to apples, the DAT recording was at 16 bits.  With my MT at 16 bits, I can record about 3:23 continuously -- longer than any DAT or DDS tape I was comfortable running in my DAT decks.

I agree though, it is pretty sad with all this new gear coming out that nothing besides the MT fits into the DAT category for me, with an upgrade to 24 bits.  Too large, too expensive, not a digital input.  I just want a small, relatively inexpensive, reliable, 24-bit recorder/bit bucket.  R09 doesn't fit the bill due to their poor engineering/marketing decision to not include digital input.  The 722 doesn't fit the bill either since it is way too expensive for my needs, and I really, really do not want to have to have a bigger bag just for a bit bucket for my V3.  What I want is the solid state/HD & 24-bit version of the M1, but as of yet, only the MT is in that category.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »
ditto
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »

The 722 doesn't fit the bill either since it is way too expensive for my needs, and I really, really do not want to have to have a bigger bag just for a bit bucket for my V3.  What I want is the solid state/HD & 24-bit version of the M1, but as of yet, only the MT is in that category.
[/quote]

Other than the expense, I would thinik the 722 IS THE SOLUTION for those used to carrying the V3 around.  The SD-722 has an EXCELLENT QUALITY MIC AMP and A/D processor that should at least equal the performance of the V3, or so I would think? Expecially for those recording PA'd venues?

In other words, the 722 seems quite acceptable as THE all-in-one deck for V3 users to just connect up the usual mics or direct board feed?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2006, 05:41:49 PM »
Really this becomes highly subjective and highly personal.  When I mentioned the 722, I meant it from the standpoint of a digital bit bucket for my V3.  This is the case where I find it overkill. 

I love both the sound and the operation/ergonomics of the V3 and don't want to get rid of it from my system -- I just need something to capture the bits it outputs.  I have heard enough from the 722 that I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't want to use it a a single box solution (don't like the sound of its low end for example).  If someone likes the sound of the 722 as an all-in-one box, it is a great solution. 
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2006, 05:42:17 PM »
Can we seperate the content that is useful, vs the usual freelunch maudio bashing?

everything else...  :'(

anyway, my post is useless but I had to say it.  Been using 1.4.3 for two concerts now, it has worked great.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 09:34:15 AM »
I used 1.4.3 for a show last week (CSNY at Jones Beach) and the auto-sampling rate seems to have been improved.  No need to change the header or (gasp!) re-sample in post-production.
I'm using it again for Gov't Mule this weekend, and will report.

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 04:35:04 PM »
Seriously.  I have been using this for a little while now and the only errors I have seen it kick out are user-related.  As long as you can set it and not touch it in the least, the thing is rock-solid.  I messed up about 20 seconds of a recording becasue I accidentally nudged the fast-forward knob while turning on the hold switch and checking my levels at the same time.  I wish that the buttons were not as "touchy" as they are.  Other than that, it works wonderfully.

I wish I could do 24/96 for more than 57 minutes at a time, but I do not want to shell out $2500+ for a 722 to do so.  I also like the sound of my MiniMe at 24 bit, the thing sounds fantastic and gives me huge-sounding tapes which I like.  I am with Todd; I am not sold on the sound of the 722 by any stretch of the imagination and the MT works perfectly as a device to capture what the DAT machine outputs.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »
Pretty much all the problems I've had have been my own fault.  Although with 1.4.3 Cliff (dallman) and I have had the same thing happen where after formating the CF card in the MT the files are still there.  This caused me to miss the last 20 seconds of the 8-29 Mule set.  Also with 1.4.3 the MT periodically tells me there is no media found when I have my Kingston 2GB CF card in it. 

These may be user error but I've been using my MT since October 2005 and haven't seen either problem before 1.4.3.

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »
I recorded Gov't Mule at 16/44.1 with no problems.
I recorded Roger Waters on Tuesday, this time at 24/48, swapped flash cards at set break and used the macally external battery for the second set.  Again, no problems whatsoever.  Auto-sampling was fine for both sets, the external battery worked perfectly, and the recordings are the best I've ever done.
If anyone is interested in hearing the Waters recording, I will post a link or PM one to you.

Offline symoka01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2006, 06:42:55 PM »
Can anyone give me help?
1) I just bought a Ridata CF 4 gig card, dropped the 1.4.3 files into it, and formatted my card.
        Now when I try and record (in 24/48...havent tested on others), I get a "Media is Full" message...
        Despite this, if I hit record again quickly, it will begin recording.

2) I tried to tape Tool on saturday and began recording despite "Media is Full" message and recorded for just over 1 1/2 hours.
        However, at this time (with about 15 mins left of the show) my Microtrack FROZE...
               The screen was locked
               None of the buttons changed the screen or did anything
               It still allowed me to power down the MT, which I did.  Upon restarting, I began a new track for the last 15 mins and everything worked with that track....
               HOWEVER - The original 1 1/2 I taped was an empty file!! I lost the first 1 1/2 completely!!!
                       The file was still registered in the MT but there was nothing on it at all! it merely would skip to the next track I started after restarting the MT!

I am going to attempt to tape tool again tomorrow...Can anyone please help me so that I may avoid this horrible problem again?
In case you are wondering, I DID have my hold button on, so there is no way that I can conceive of that would have been a user fault...

Please let me know tonight (monday) if possible :)

thanks,
Karl

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »
Can anyone give me help?
1) I just bought a Ridata CF 4 gig card, dropped the 1.4.3 files into it, and formatted my card.
        Now when I try and record (in 24/48...havent tested on others), I get a "Media is Full" message...

thanks,
Karl

Hello - Are you sure that you have the 1.4.3 firmware upgrade installed? Something sounds fishy here.   Do you have a MAC or a PC?

These are the instructions for upgrading the firmware on a PC:

Please note: In order to avoid unnecessary technical problems, please read the README file that is included with the driver download before installation.

In order to provide you with the fastest download time, the driver file you are downloading is a self-extracting executable. When the download is complete, you may need to extract the driver files.
Micro Track 2496

Version: 1.4.3

Release Date: August 1, 2006

Applies to:
MicroTrack 24/96

Operating System(s):
Windows 2000, Windows XP

Release Notes:
Installation Instructions:

1) Connect the MicroTrack 24/96 to your Mac or PC (Please refer to your manual for details on this procedure).

2) Copy the three files from this update, "PP5020.mi4", "BL_MPR.rom" and "Resources.arl," onto a properly formatted Compact Flash card to the root (top) directory of your MicroTrack 24/96 (Do not put them in a folder).

3) Properly unmount the MicroTrack 24/96 from the computer (Again, please refer to your manual for complete instructions).

4) On the MicroTrack 24/96, navigate to Main Menu > System > Firmware Update and press the NAV button.

5) You will be asked to verify this action. Press the NAV button again to begin the firmware update. The MicroTrack will show a few messages on the screen while the update is in progress. The four LEDs around the level controls will flash sequentially during the update. When the firmware update is complete, the MicroTrack will automatically reboot. To verify the firmware update was executed, go to Main Menu > System > Version. If the firmware update was successful, it should now show firmware 1.4.3 and Bootloader 1.02
I hope that this helps...

David

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 07:17:01 PM by dactylus »

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »
I have had no problems formatting any 4gb or 8gb cards I have had... I did have a freeze problem, but that was on the previous firmware, nothing on 1.4.3 with freexing (yet  ;D)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2006, 11:59:36 PM »
Just to make sure, suggest using the ORIGINAL 64 Mb CF memory card for upgrading the firmware.  If you have never used this card, it is likely already properly formated for the microtrack, so just load the new firmware files into it.  After loading the firmware upgrade onto this small capacity card, follow the procedure for updating. 

As suggested, check your SYSTEM for proper boot loader and firmware version and then reformat ALL your other flash cards inside the microtrack using the deck's format feature.

This should fix the problem and make the deck reliable unless there's something wrong with the flash card (more likely), or the deck itself (less likely)

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »
Can anyone give me help?

2) I tried to tape Tool on saturday and began recording despite "Media is Full" message and recorded for just over 1 1/2 hours.
        However, at this time (with about 15 mins left of the show) my Microtrack FROZE...
               The screen was locked
               None of the buttons changed the screen or did anything
               It still allowed me to power down the MT, which I did.  Upon restarting, I began a new track for the last 15 mins and everything worked with that track....
               HOWEVER - The original 1 1/2 I taped was an empty file!! I lost the first 1 1/2 completely!!!
                       The file was still registered in the MT but there was nothing on it at all! it merely would skip to the next track I started after restarting the MT!

I am going to attempt to tape tool again tomorrow...Can anyone please help me so that I may avoid this horrible problem again?
In case you are wondering, I DID have my hold button on, so there is no way that I can conceive of that would have been a user fault...

thanks,
Karl

I have this exact problem with my new Transcend 120x 4gb card. It says "media is full" . I hit record again and it works fine. It has fucked up and given me a zero byte file once also.

I am using 1.4.3. - My Kingston works fine.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2006, 12:34:41 PM »

I have this exact problem with my new Transcend 120x 4gb card. It says "media is full" . I hit record again and it works fine. It has fucked up and given me a zero byte file once also.

I am using 1.4.3. - My Kingston works fine.

Does this happen even right after formatting or only when the card has had files written and erased from it repeatedly?  I had this kind of problem early on but it went away a couple of firmware versions ago and was only happening when I deleted files from the media (it was like it wouldn't free up the space correctly).

J.T.

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2006, 03:48:19 PM »
1) I just bought a Ridata CF 4 gig card

There is your problem, cheap media.  The MT is fuckin picky.  Kingston all the way.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2006, 05:03:35 PM »
1) I just bought a Ridata CF 4 gig card

There is your problem, cheap media.  The MT is fuckin picky.  Kingston all the way.

More likely the flash is using burst mode to give faster (120x) speeds, but audio decks DO NOT USE BURST mode, and MT deck seems most sensitive to cards using these tactics.  Most reliable operation is from 'slower' rated cards (45-80x) that give steady speed for streaming audio recording. 

See review for suggestions on working flash for audio purposes at: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htn
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 05:08:13 PM by guysonic »

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2006, 06:19:24 PM »
Just to make sure, suggest using the ORIGINAL 64 Mb CF memory card for upgrading the firmware.  If you have never used this card, it is likely already properly formated for the microtrack, so just load the new firmware files into it.  After loading the firmware upgrade onto this small capacity card, follow the procedure for updating. 
As suggested, check your SYSTEM for proper boot loader and firmware version and then reformat ALL your other flash cards inside the microtrack using the deck's format feature.
This should fix the problem and make the deck reliable unless there's something wrong with the flash card (more likely), or the deck itself (less likely)

Not to sound dumb, but why use the original card?  You can format any card in the PC or the device and have the same results.

I use my Delkin 8gb card for flashing, and have no problems with 3 (or more) flashs.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2006, 10:19:45 PM »
I am going to be developing some new electronics for the MICROTRACK, what item do you guys want the most?

Thanks

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2006, 09:38:39 AM »
I am going to be developing some new electronics for the MICROTRACK, what item do you guys want the most?

Thanks

Chris Church

1)  Seamless 2GB autosplit

2)  A dB VU scale

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2006, 02:03:26 AM »

Thanks

Chris Church

2)  Seamless 2GB autosplit
3)  Seamless 2GB autosplit
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »

Better quality 1/8" input path and sound

Offline willndmb

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »

Thanks

Chris Church

i would have to agree with you on #1 and #2
#3 though hmmmm  :P

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2006, 01:25:12 AM »

Thanks

Chris Church

Better battery management (to squeeze more time out of the battery, and get a better read on time remaining before the battery dies)

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2006, 06:15:54 AM »
- Quick startup/boot (it is so slowww)
- 2GB autosplit, big CF support
- Replacable battery (like Ipod battery, a DIY action), bigger battery
- Get rid of the allways on 12 (or so) dB of gain
- remote?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »

Thanks

Chris Church

Hi guys sorry for the misunderstanding I did not mean firmware I meant I want to develop HARDWARE external devices for the MT.
what is on your wish list for a external product for the MT.

sorry guys!

Chris Church

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2006, 11:52:45 AM »
Hi guys sorry for the misunderstanding I did not mean firmware I meant I want to develop HARDWARE external devices for the MT.

How about an external box that does seamless 2GB auto split   ;D

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »

At 1:55, I had to go for it and restart the microtrack recording. Needless to say, I was pissed that I lost part of the show due to the microtrack's 2GB limit.  And when I did do the save it took FOREVER.  That slow save is just incredibly weak ass programming by m-audio or whatever company actually owns the microtrack development.

Bummer about that. Personally once the show hits a 1.5 hours I start looking for spots where I can stop the file and restart (stage banter, tuning, changing instrument etc...)

Sorry if this was already covered, but is the fast double tap of the record button where you press record to start the next file before the 1st one is done saving (to stop the old file and start a new one as soon as the old one gets written) working ok on this firmware? 

And I agree that the MT can be flaky with different CF cards.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=65514.0;all

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline jlykos

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2006, 05:24:28 PM »

Thanks

Chris Church

sorry guys!

Chris Church

Something that shows accurate or usable levels would be great.  If you could design a small LED device that showed 8 or 9 points through which we could measure the VU levels, through either the USB or preferably through the headphone output jack, that would be fantastic.  I find the MT level meters to have too large of a delayed reaction and cannot be read when the screen is off.  Setting levels with my MiniMe > MT is very difficult because the MiniMe only has four monitoring points (but accurate meters), but the MT has many points and inaccurate meters.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2006, 06:20:13 PM »

Bummer about that. Personally once the show hits a 1.5 hours I start looking for spots where I can stop the file and restart (stage banter, tuning, changing instrument etc...)

Sorry if this was already covered, but is the fast double tap of the record button where you press record to start the next file before the 1st one is done saving (to stop the old file and start a new one as soon as the old one gets written) working ok on this firmware? 

It does work with the new firmware. I don't think you can repeat this too much as it is probably good to let people know this.  8)

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2006, 06:36:27 PM »
big CF support

I use 2 different 8gb CF cards with no problems at all.  1 is a SimpleTech and 1 is a Delkin

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2006, 10:32:33 PM »

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Yah I think its called get an edirol  :P

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2006, 10:34:30 PM »

Thanks

Chris Church

sorry guys!

Chris Church

Something that shows accurate or usable levels would be great.  If you could design a small LED device that showed 8 or 9 points through which we could measure the VU levels, through either the USB or preferably through the headphone output jack, that would be fantastic.  I find the MT level meters to have too large of a delayed reaction and cannot be read when the screen is off.  Setting levels with my MiniMe > MT is very difficult because the MiniMe only has four monitoring points (but accurate meters), but the MT has many points and inaccurate meters.

That is easy to do but how big can it be? If I make it 3.5 x 2.5 x 1" is that ok or do you want smaller?

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Yah I think its called get an edirol  :P

Yeh its actually spelled HDP2.....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2006, 12:31:53 AM »
1. isnt the 2g file limit policy for these types of recorders?

2. battery issues > get a battery pack to usb connect thing and run a big ole 9.6 volt batt

3. the levels on the mt w/ the new fw work fine for me, if you look at the levels and the green and reds, its pretty self explanatory, no?
3a. is that in regards to running analog in? bc with digital all you need to do is keep your eyes on the blinkys on the V3 or whatever pre your using.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline jlykos

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2006, 09:00:28 AM »
3. the levels on the mt w/ the new fw work fine for me, if you look at the levels and the green and reds, its pretty self explanatory, no?
3a. is that in regards to running analog in? bc with digital all you need to do is keep your eyes on the blinkys on the V3 or whatever pre your using.

This goes back to a couple of posts.  I don't know if you have ever used a MiniMe, but setting levels with just 4 LED settings, one of which is "over" is almost impossible.  I strongly disagree with the MT levels, even with the new firmware update.  They jump around way too much, there is no "over" indicator (except when it reaches the end of the line), and there is a delay on when it shows the levels, making it difficult to do so.

I don't stealth so I don't care about the size of a level meter.  If I did stealth, I sure wouldn't want to have a bunch of LED lights staring at me all night so that size sounds fine.  Could you use this through the headphone jack while it has a digital input?  I would not want to use this through the USB becasue that is where I have a battery pack.  Would turning the volume all the way up on the headphone input be the same level signal as the digital input?  Also, what would be the price point of this device?

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »
I don't know if you have ever used a MiniMe, but setting levels with just 4 LED settings, one of which is "over" is almost impossible.  I strongly disagree with the MT levels, even with the new firmware update.

Impossible?  Woo hoo.. I have recordings that were "impossible" to make!  ;)
I suppose that no meters recording I did the other night.. was "beyond impossible"..

So why doesn't the peak hold tell you where you are peaking?  I find it very clear on the mt. It would be nice if the scale was calibrated but it isn't hard to put a sticker on the face as a reminder. The r09 meters are extremely fast with no peak hold and it is difficult to see where it is peaking.

The mt meters will *NEVER* be fast because it is an LCD display.

I have a minime.. I found the 4 LEDs challenging when I was starting out.. I even bought an SVU so I'd have a lot of LEDs to look at... I quickly grew accustomed to the minime meters and stopped using the svu.  I now think the minime meters are just fine.  Just a question of how often/hard I'm hitting the -12 and if I'm ever seeing -2.  One downside to the minime is you can't easily set it to 30 dB of gain.. You have to set the gain dials to 1:30 or whatever.. So my minime recording notes tend to be in clock terms. I think that is a main source of challenge, the setting and not the metering.

These days I need even less metering.  I always think in terms of how much dB gain I need for a particular venue/band combo. I usually have most of the meters on the 722 taped over because I don't want to annoy people.  The only thing exposed is -12 thru 0 and I expect to rarely see the -12 lit.

There was a time when I thought peaking at -1 was perfect..  But many A/Ds distort at those levels and many pre amps are beyond their optimal range. I've seen the results myself.  Just send some sine waves through the gear.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2006, 01:35:42 PM »
on 2nd thought that wouldn't work :)
edit

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2006, 03:17:11 PM »
nice. I used 1.4.3 last night w/ no probs. I was using the 1.4.1vb or whatever, and my MT stopped on its own in the end part of the second set a few nights ago. I tried to restart recording, but it wouldnt start, it was on the whole time. for whatever reason though it saved the file though. I checked and it was set to 16bit wav, I thought i had rufussed and done it in 24, weird happenings, so I switched to 1.4.3 but ran a back up just in case  >:D
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2006, 01:01:39 PM »
I find the meters on the MT to be just fine. I just watch my sbm1 anyway as a show progresses. In fact I find the MT quite good even with the lack of a 2g seamless start. Sure there were issues at the start, but so far this has been running fine, YMMV ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 102 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com