Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 88172 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »
Who would buy at the same price as the new models?  :shrug:  If the Mixpre 10t came down to $1000 I would consider one.

Perhaps that is why B&H have them on sale now?  $400 off the 10T, $150 off the 6...
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
I don't think it's firmware but want to rule it out.

having a strange issue where the right channel is way lower no matter what cables, caps, channels (happens on 2 and 4) Unfortunately I suspect the unit is defective.

Right channel is 10-15db lower on both channel 2&4 linked or not. Thought it was my nbobs or interconnects but it's not. Works perfect on original mp6. I swapped cables,caps etc to right and left and it doesn't follow. Stays on right channel being lower. And again on 2&4.  :banging head:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:02:56 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
It's a sign!   :shrug:

I don't think it's firmware but want to rule it out.

having a strange issue where the right channel is way lower no matter what cables, caps, channels (happens on 2 and 4) Unfortunately I suspect the unit is defective.

Right channel is 10-15db lower on both channel 2&4 linked or not. Thought it was my nbobs or interconnects but it's not. Works perfect on original mp6. I swapped cables,caps etc to right and left and it doesn't follow. Stays on right channel being lower. And again on 2&4.  :banging head:

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »
a sign that I'm fucking pissed!!   :angry3:
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2019, 06:41:24 PM »
Sorry man!! Totally sucks, but the original deck pulls great recordings.  Hope it gets resolved quickly.

a sign that I'm fucking pissed!!   :angry3:

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »
Here is a dropbox link to the videos.  They are named to reflect channels and linked or not.  The last one is the same sample but with the original mixpre.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xk78vpfqcgc81gn/AACEzmVL7nMKKIc2_uvO0xqsa?dl=0

pic is channel stats in iZotope...

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
 :banging head:

Thank you for contacting Sound Devices. Based on your troubleshooting and videos it looks like there is a hardware issue with your MixPre unit, which is rare to see on a new unit and we're sorry to see.

To get that resolved you have two options:

1 - Since you’re within the 30 days of purchasing the unit you can contact your reseller to return your unit and have them send you a replacement unit.

2 - We can set up paperwork for you to send the unit to us for repair. The repair would be covered under warranty.

No way I'm having them fix a brand new unit so returning to Vintage King.

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
:banging head:
No way I'm having them fix a brand new unit so returning to Vintage King.

I would never have it repaired either!

When I first bought my MixPre-3 the faders did not align compared to the db levels. For example Ch1 had to be turned to 11.57 while the ch2 needed 12.02 for them both to show same numerical value.
It went back and I got a MixPre-6 instead which do show what it should at the same fader angles.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2019, 07:45:45 AM »
I don't understand the head-banging, to be honest. From what's been posted here, SD determined there was an issue in less than 24 hours, offered their apologies, and said the faulty recorder could either be exchanged for a new one or repaired at the buyer's discretion. I know it is frustrating to get a defective item, but it's always a possibility with almost any purchase and SD's customer service seems to have done all that you could expect from them.

Personally, I would also prefer a replacement, but I'd note that there is a potential benefit to sending it in for repair, which is that they carefully test the whole system before they return it. Once, I returned a piece of gear due to a faulty jack and, when it came back, I noticed that there were a bunch of other items listed on the invoice, including replacement of the knobs. I e-mailed them to say that I had no problems with the knobs and was curious why they had been replaced. SD explained that they had to pull them off with pliers to open the chassis and they were scuffed up a bit by that, so they replaced them. I don't have a ton of experience with their customer service, but they have been great when I did use them...

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »
I don't understand the head-banging, to be honest.

I know it is frustrating to get a defective item

so you do understand the head-banging?  I had planned to run it this weekend and was really looking forward to it.  Oh well I'll have it for next weekend....

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2019, 12:29:45 PM »
^  No offense intended! I am no good at emojis; to me, that one looks more like “ragin’” than “Oh well I'll have it for next weekend”. Really, my point was that SD seems to be handling it promptly and satisfactorily. Enjoy the new recorder...

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
replacement deck came and has been solid so far!  tested for about 2 hours yesterday and 4.5 so far today.  32/48 2 channels....

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »
While it's very true that problems can occur with almost any product and that they are responsive to issues, I do find it ironic how I frequently read negative comments about Zoom products - because SD is the "professional company" that makes rock solid products - and yet we seemingly end up with a stream of firmware and hardware issues. Gordon might be frustrated, for example, because he not only had an annoying firmware issue - with firmware that was "rigorously tested" and which they initially didnt admit had a problem - as well as a hardware problem now. If you are reading the SD FB group, others have had some interesting problems. I love the quality of my Mixpre-x recordings but am not so convinced the Mixpre-x series is in line with the traditional quality of SD products.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2019, 05:27:19 PM »
^ As I am pretty sure that was directed at me, I'll just say that I haven't seen much criticism of Zoom since they started making real recorders (the F4/8). Maybe some skepticism at first, as they had to overcome their history of making cheap gear, but I think there are many supporters of those devices here. I don't think I have criticized Zoom personally. With respect to the Facebook page, I think there is a lot of bitching and moaning going on there, sometimes beyond the pale and, often, due to user error. As for SD, the firmware has not been particularly smooth, to be sure, but I have only heard of a few cases of hardware issues and SD have always corrected those quickly. In all honesty, I am still on 1.53. I keep telling myself before every recording opportunity that I should upgrade, but then I stick with 1.53 because I have never had any problems and figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I should probably update it, though...

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2019, 05:49:11 PM »
The Zoom comment was not a reference to comments by you at all.  There have been several bitch sessions about F series Zooms in the FB Taper Section group, primarily by people who hate Zoom no matter what the product is like. I owned and heavily used a F8 for a couple of years and now I own a 3.6 and 10T and have used the 6 heavily. I generally like both products but I can also see why Gordon was frustrated.

I have stuck with 1.53 on all my Mixpres.

There haven't been that many hardware issues as far as I know also, but one lucky guy apparently had trouble with both the series one and series two he purchased. Gordon has his hardware issue. I've read anecdotal reports of freezing from two other, reliable sources with II series (could be firmware however)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:59:11 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com