Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone upgrade from HD280...?  (Read 12034 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Headphone upgrade from HD280...?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »
I hope its at least a 24 bit recording.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
While unloading at the Pennycamp marina dock yesterday after sailing with some friends to the reefs off Key Largo over the weekend there was a very large manatee lazily floating around and occasionally sticking nostrils up for air. Some people gathered around to check it out and after a while a largish bubble exited around the side of it's back end.  No impressive sound and the breeze was off-dock so everyone laughed and assumed it was SBD.  Ironically, I did take a recording rig to catch some sounds of sailing, both topside and water-rushing below deck, but it was packed away at that point.  I did snap a few photos but didn't catch the bubble.  This is probably the closest I'll ever get to documenting a marine mammal gas release and the serendipitous connection to the turn of this thread just last week put a big smile on my face. 

:D
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:27 PM »
While unloading at the Pennycamp marina dock yesterday after sailing with some friends to the reefs off Key Largo over the weekend there was a very large manatee lazily floating around and occasionally sticking nostrils up for air. Some people gathered around to check it out and after a while a largish bubble exited around the side of it's back end.  No impressive sound and the breeze was off-dock so everyone laughed and assumed it was SBD.  Ironically, I did take a recording rig to catch some sounds of sailing, both topside and water-rushing below deck, but it was packed away at that point.  I did snap a few photos but didn't catch the bubble.  This is probably the closest I'll ever get to documenting a marine mammal gas release and the serendipitous connection to the turn of this thread just last week put a big smile on my face. 

:D

Did you yell: 

"Nice Out!"

8)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »
Took some of the shine off the manatees=mermaids theory for me.  ;)

..though she was wearing rouge-

Intake-

Comparison shot with an actual mermaid-

[threadjack/]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:19:11 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 75McTapHead29

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
Have you tried the other brands like the BeyerDynamic? I am not familiar with the specs of different headphones but I can suggest quality headphones like the Grado SR325is headphones. I love it because I love its style and quality.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:16:27 AM by 75McTapHead29 »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:49 AM »
I love the Sony MDR 7506 - price is lower, but don't let that sway you, these translate great and accurately for me.

For 15 years or so I've used Sennheiser 580's (now kaput), 600's & 650's for home use and I love them. Also for 15 years or so I've been using Etymotics for noise canceling (ER-4P and HF5).

at

My Sennheiser 580's have been going strong for many, many years...

Nice photos Lee.  I'd love to trade a few weeks of Minneosta Winter with you for what you depict...   ;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:21:24 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »
Thanks David, I've been working the Miami boat show this weekend and have met no less than 4 Minnesotans that have all expressed extreme pleasure about being here for a down here in February!  I won't torture you further by telling you what the weather's been like  down here the last month or so.

In an attempt to keep this post on-tread, I'll add that I did walk by the booth for David Clark headsets- serious industrial / military grade comm headsets with noise reduction tech for hearing protection and communication in loud environments like engine rooms, airplanes, industrial situations, etc.  Not sure about their fidelity as they are not sold for music monitoring (no I didn't bring my recorder to listen to a few live tracks  ;)) , but I am curious about their passive + active noise cancellation technologies which I believe will be the only way to get truly excellent bass isolation in a live monitoring phone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com