Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Autosound subwoofer suggestions?  (Read 2663 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Autosound subwoofer suggestions?
« on: January 16, 2021, 06:08:24 PM »
Hey all,

Looking to upgrade the subwoofer for my 2011 Toyota Tacoma extracab system.

Currently running a 10" 4 ohm dual voice coil MTX sub in a wedge 'truck-style' sealed box, powered by an Alpine mono sub amp that puts out 500 watts at 2 ohms.

The sub is OK, but I would like something that sounds deeper and more 'full'. Considering stepping up to a 12" sub.

Primarily listen to Grateful Dead soundboards in the truck (Thanks Marc!) but also listen to a lot of classic rock and acoustic folk / blues.

Thinking about maybe going with a Morel (Isralli made) Ultimo TI SC124, which Crutchfield has for $659.
It is a four ohm Single voice coil, so unless I upgraded my sub amp too I could currently only give it 300 watts mono. The Morel is rated for 600 watts RMS and 2,000 watts of peak power. (In the future I would like to ugrade the sub amp to something more robust but that isn't in the cards for a while.

Would this be a good choice? I want sound quality over SPL, and the Morels seem to have good reviews in that respect.

Bummer that there are no dealers in CA so I would bacically have to take the plunge and buy it sight (and sound) unseen.

Thanks for your opinion,

ONT-

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: Autosound subwoofer suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:48:31 AM »
Subwoofers in a car or truck are very placement and resonant space dependent.
At your price point, be sure it comes with a calibrated omni mic and ability to DSP equalize
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com