Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi HiFiBerry: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver  (Read 23254 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
Maybe the drive is corrupted or something?  I know those things aren't great for long-term storage.  Do you have another drive you can put the music on and see if that throws the same errors?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »
New development, when I inserted the USB thumb drive again, the files were there, so they didn't get wiped out.
Thought I'd try "Eject..." from windows prior to removing it, then inserted it again to the PC.  No errors and it's writable again!    :coolguy:

Not to figure out if I can do the same thing for the SSD which doesn't have an Eject... option.
retired

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
New development, when I inserted the USB thumb drive again, the files were there, so they didn't get wiped out.
Thought I'd try "Eject..." from windows prior to removing it, then inserted it again to the PC.  No errors and it's writable again!    :coolguy:

Not to figure out if I can do the same thing for the SSD which doesn't have an Eject... option.

Always try to do that before removing one of those drives.  You should be able to have Windows "eject" the USB SSD as well.

Also, while on the subject, try not to remove the micro SD card from your Pi while it's running.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
I don't think the SSD is corrupt, Windows scan finds now errors, and it's readable.  And it's unlikely both would get corrupt at the same time.

However, the SSD appears to be Readonly (and says so under Ready Boost property, not that I was going to check that off, it just says device is mounted readonly).  Said the same w/ the thumb drive, but now it doesn't after using Eject.

I managed to find Eject for the SSD, but it didn't help. 

Might just reformat it, and restore the backup.   And never remove it from the Pi w/out shutting the Pi down.
retired

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
Use the SSD's manufacturer's tools to check it out
Lacking those, the SSD formatting weapon of choice is "Parted Magic"
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »
Will check that out.  Ended up restoring the SSD from backups...

Really liking this R Pi DAC+ Pro setup!
retired

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2019, 08:09:56 PM »
+T for backups!
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
Also, while on the subject, try not to remove the micro SD card from your Pi while it's running.
Well, after shutting down the Pi first, then removing a Sandisk Cruzer thumb drive, same problem.   Shutting down the Pi  before removing the d rive doesn't seem to improve things.

Plug it into a PC, and get
"There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it."

Clck Scan and Fix, and Windows finds no problems.   

Files are readable, but can't write to it, at first, but now I can - very strange!    This is only a 65 gb drive, but I'm real concerned about a 500 GB SanDisk SSD and using it in the Pi.  I couldn't fix that problem before, and I have 168 Gb of files on it (so far).    Don't really want to risk not being able to add more music to it, so I guess I need to continue filling it up before using it w/ the Pi ! :)

Off to check SanDisk website on this problem.
retired

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »
Update:  Happy to report that the "dirty" disk issues have been resolved!   Thanks for the Volumio website for the info.

Basically, need to follow one of 2 options to safely remove a USB Drive from the HiFi Berry:

1) Navigate to the USB device in Volumio Browse > Media Library > USB > click the three dots next to the device, and select "Safe Remove Media"  (this option was only seen after upgrading to the latest and greatest, released a few weeks ago.)

OR

2) Showdown the Pi and Volumio through Volumio > Shutdown.  Recommended that you don't just turn it off through the power adapter (mine has an on/off switch).

:yahoo:
retired

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: Raspberry Pi HiFiBerry: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »
finally took the plunge and picked up a Pi 4. Have volumio up and running. If i actually paid attention I wouldnt have had a problem mounting the NAS shares but overall from unboxing to playing tune about an hour

Pretty slick. The Pi has dual 4k etc out so really overkill for what im doing but thought it would be fun to play with
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: Raspberry Pi HiFiBerry: External Hard Drive USB to Stereo Receiver
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2021, 07:39:19 PM »
finally took the plunge and picked up a Pi 4. Have volumio up and running. If i actually paid attention I wouldnt have had a problem mounting the NAS shares but overall from unboxing to playing tune about an hour

Pretty slick. The Pi has dual 4k etc out so really overkill for what im doing but thought it would be fun to play with

So I stuck this out in my office and I have to say best 120$ i have spent in a long time. I had a USB DAC kicking around so i just plugged it in and I was playing tunes over the built in wifi > NAS. Ive got it running in to an early 90s Marantz SR880 Receiver > Altec Lansings and an Energy 8" sub. 

When i set it up in the house the wifi signal icon looked weak so i thought outside it would be an issue but it must be misleading as it was able to pick my AP without issue.

Found a local guy im going to bring my non-working Adcom to get fixed and probably have him work on my integrated thats got a funky channel
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com