Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CF based small recorders  (Read 6447 times)

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: F based small recorders- PDA Route
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
While I've been getting great results with my PDA set-up, for stealth, it isn't nearly as compact as the newer hard disc recorders that have been stable for the last year, and are MUCH less expensive- trying to purchase a PDA (if you don't already have one) and a ADC (again, if you don't already have one) to input into the CF input (Core Sound) which anyone who's reading this post can see what their reputation is and STILL wan'ts to go that route - then hey, then email me off list and I'll sell you my whole rig (H5555 Ipaq, Core Sound MIC 2496 ADC, Core Sound PD-Audio Card) and throw in a bunch of CF cards...if you still go that route, but candidly, anyone that has the money to purchase that set-up is MUCH better off going with these much smaller, stealthier rigs that cost 1/2 of a Core Sounds PDA setup without the head ache of trying to get Core Sound to stand behind it to boot.

I think you should not base your purchase on the type of memory card used.    I know you want to take advantage of the Compactflash cards you already own, but SD and SDHC memory is so cheap that it really doesn't add much to the cost.   A standard 4GB SDHC card costs less than $20. 

QFT.

There is also the PDAudio system for PDAs with CF slots, but it's looking outdated and overpriced in my eyes:
http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio_system/1.php
I could be missing the point, maybe there are other advantages to it?!

I've been using the PDA setup for almost 3 years (edit - with Dell Axim x50v), it's been super nice. I just upgraded my OS to WM6 so I could take advantage of those $30 8GB SDHC cards on Amazon, picked up a new double capacity battery for $12 while I was there too.

Everything has an OS, some are nicer than others and a PPC is probably a little over the top sure but it's worked out really good. Now I'm more worried about the mini jack on the adapter card than anything. It will eventually wear out and then I'll have to buy a new card.

That's why I'm motivated on this homebrew recorder. I've been studying up on this board computer http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7800 and I think it will really work with an S/PDIF receiver front end like the Cirrus or Ti chips. No more mini plugs to wear or goofy UI's, and I'm in charge of the form factor and content.. Now I'm searching for a good PC/104 flash addon card that supports at least up to 8GB cards. Either that or recoding the FPGA onboard to accept SD sockets - if I can get the right SDHC drivers for Debian.

DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CF based small recorders
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »
I think you should not base your purchase on the type of memory card used.    I know you want to take advantage of the Compactflash cards you already own, but SD and SDHC memory is so cheap that it really doesn't add much to the cost.   A standard 4GB SDHC card costs less than $20. 

QFT.

There is also the PDAudio system for PDAs with CF slots, but it's looking outdated and overpriced in my eyes:
http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio_system/1.php
I could be missing the point, maybe there are other advantages to it?!

I've been using the PDA setup for almost 3 years (edit - with Dell Axim x50v), it's been super nice. I just upgraded my OS to WM6 so I could take advantage of those $30 8GB SDHC cards on Amazon, picked up a new double capacity battery for $12 while I was there too.

Everything has an OS, some are nicer than others and a PPC is probably a little over the top sure but it's worked out really good. Now I'm more worried about the mini jack on the adapter card than anything. It will eventually wear out and then I'll have to buy a new card.

That's why I'm motivated on this homebrew recorder. I've been studying up on this board computer http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7800 and I think it will really work with an S/PDIF receiver front end like the Cirrus or Ti chips. No more mini plugs to wear or goofy UI's, and I'm in charge of the form factor and content.. Now I'm searching for a good PC/104 flash addon card that supports at least up to 8GB cards. Either that or recoding the FPGA onboard to accept SD sockets - if I can get the right SDHC drivers for Debian.

Wow.  If you're so inclinded, I think all we need is a box that will reliably capture SPDIF (coax preferably) and write to SD cards.  It would be even better if it could capture two SPDIF streams and write four tracks to SD cards.  Great for matrices or for ambisonic recording.  There are tons of options that produce SPDIF streams.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: CF based small recorders
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 02:32:52 AM »
I think I have decided on the R9.. but given how many CF cards I have floating around - other than the MT - are there any CF based similar sized recorders.. I would prefer to run 24/48 - and will be running line in from a MP2.. so a decent A/D is a must..

Jeff

Sounds like what your looking for is an Edirol R1. Someone here is selling one with an Oade mod upgrade. The unit runs on two AA batteries, records up to 24/48 on to compact flash. Check it out!
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com