Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can't get level on PMD-661? (noobie issues)  (Read 1869 times)

Offline cottle

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
Can't get level on PMD-661? (noobie issues)
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
I just received my Oade Concert Mod 661 yesterday.  I've tried to do some testing with it, but I can't seem to get a record level no matter what I do.  I've tried changing the presets, and I've tried recording with the internal mics as well as my AKGs (yes, the 48v phantom power is on).  There was some slight activity on the level meter when I removed/replaced the windscreens, but aside from that, I'm getting no response to voice or audio recording.  When I playback, I can hear a slight hiss, but no reprodcution of the recorded source. 

I'm a total noob, so I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something simple in my presets, but I've checked and re-checked, so I really don't know what it might be. I figured I'd check here before I call Oade.  Has anyone experienced anything similar with their 661, or does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

The card currently in use is a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB Class 6, but I don't think it is a card issue, because the same problem arises when I use the 1GB card that came with the machine.

Much thanks in advance for any troubleshooting advice.

Offline cottle

• Taperssection Member
Re: Can't get level on PMD-661? (noobie issues)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Went ahead and emailed Doug to see if he can help.  I'm thinking it must be a loose solder connection or something from the mod, b/c everything else works (display, power, menu), the sound just won't register.  Is solid state that different from DAT that I just have no idea how to operate this machine?  Is there a flux capacitor on it or something?

Offline cottle

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »
Turns out it was a simple issue with a solder connection. The solder ball had corrupted the selector switch that determines whether the input is MIC, MIC-PHANTOM or LINE.  The problem was fixed before the FedEx site was even updated to show that the deck had been delivered.  First class service, as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

"it is here and fixed. It had a tiny solder ball that moved onto the line/mic/phantom switch during shipment. These solder balls are very small, the size of a pin tip and are created as the PCB goes thru a wave solder machine. This is rare but does happen. I try to scan for them as I see them often enough to know they can happen but missed this one."

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »
Glad to hear you got everything worked out. I had a solder ball issue with a DAT machine way back in the day, and it was rolling in a contained spot, and sometimes would short a connection, and sometimes not.

I thought it was a loose wire or something, and it ended up being as simple as opening the case and blowing out the ball with canned air. 
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com