Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can you record audio only with Nokia 920?  (Read 2733 times)

Offline johnny9fingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Can you record audio only with Nokia 920?
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »
There are a gazillion concert videos recorded with the 920 out in cyber space, but I haven't been able to find out if its possible to record audio only.  Anyone here done it?  And if you have, how?
Thanks,
John

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
Re: Can you record audio only with Nokia 920?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 05:45:48 AM »
Yes, it has an audio-only recorder. Nevertheless, its quality is somehow smaller than the audio that accompanies the videos - don't ask me why. The audio recorder might be specifically designed (aka freq-cut) to record human voice, or the bitrates are lower, or don't know what, but it doesn't sound as good as the vids.

By the way, I once recorded excellent audio quality (I didn't have my recorder with me) with a pair of external mics, using a cable like this:

So it forces the phone to use the cable as mic; then a cable like this:

And then a bbox plus a pair of mics plugged into that 3'5 female. Excellent result for not having a dedicated recorder!
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline johnny9fingers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
Thanks LikeASong,  I'll give something like that a try....

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
The 920 has a unique distortion avoid method. A 20db pad path is dynamically switched in at 120 dbspl.  Can make brickwall free captures a concerts for the 1st time n cellphone!

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
Unfortnately unlike the 808 the 920 is mono only.  As a wireless telecom audio eng this topic really inerests me:-)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »
Yes, it has an audio-only recorder. Nevertheless, its quality is somehow smaller than the audio that accompanies the videos - don't ask me why. The audio recorder might be specifically designed (aka freq-cut) to record human voice, or the bitrates are lower, or don't know what, but it doesn't sound as good as the vids.

By the way, I once recorded excellent audio quality (I didn't have my recorder with me) with a pair of external mics, using a cable like this:

So it forces the phone to use the cable as mic; then a cable like this:

And then a bbox plus a pair of mics plugged into that 3'5 female. Excellent result for not having a dedicated recorder!

Forgot to say I was using a Nokia N8, but the voice recorder is identical to your phone's ;)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com