Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Level Meter App for Android devices  (Read 3862 times)

Offline JK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Level Meter App for Android devices
« on: July 21, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
Hello!

I am looking for a level meter app for android devices which displays the input of an internal or external microphone in dBFS.

Perhaps somebody can give me a clue?

Thank you!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Level Meter App for Android devices
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
Searching the app store brings up loads of matches for "sound meter" - but assuming you've done that already, I guess they don't fit the bill.

Offline JK

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:50:35 AM »
Searching the app store brings up loads of matches for "sound meter" - but assuming you've done that already, I guess they don't fit the bill.

That's true ...

Because I'm looking for a PPM and not for Sound Level Meter which measures the sound pressure level.

Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_programme_meter#PPMs_and_digital_audio_levels

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
I am looking for a level meter app for android devices which displays the input of an internal or external microphone in dBFS.

out of curiosity, are you using it in place of level adjustment on a different recorder, or are you feeding the android unit a digital signal? (where I'm headed is dbfs is somewhat related to the ADC and each ADC will have a different threshold for what produces 0 dbfs)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline JK

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
Thank you very much for your answer.

I am trying out recording software for Android devices and I want to avoid clipping.

Every editing software and every digital recorder has a PPM but I haven't found one for Android smartphones.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
Thank you very much for your answer.

I am trying out recording software for Android devices and I want to avoid clipping.

Every editing software and every digital recorder has a PPM but I haven't found one for Android smartphones.

gotcha.

feeding it a digital signal or analog in on the phone?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline JK

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »

Analog from an external microphone (optional: pre-amplifier)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »
You could record a 1k sine wav. You can visually see the clipping that way.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »

Analog from an external microphone (optional: pre-amplifier)

I was more curious about after that, namely between the preamp and the recording device if you had a separate ADC so you weren't relying upon the phone's but instead just using it as a bitbucket.

You could record a 1k sine wav. You can visually see the clipping that way.

and assuming you don't hear distortion on playback of that sample, you'd get a rough approximation of max dbu that the adc chip in question can handle before it overloads. That's beneficial if you have an external preamp and but even if you know the mv/pa of a set of mics then it would give you an idea of how that will pair in terms of avoiding overloading.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com