Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can I clean out the house with a 722?  (Read 10098 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Can I clean out the house with a 722?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 07:53:03 AM »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 08:37:10 AM »
Thanks Nick - Quoting from that thread:

24 bit
- Open first 24 bit file in CDWAV and track out
- Save tracks as "alternate 24 bit format"
- Save Cuesheet
- Repeat process for additonal 24 bit files (until show is complete)
- Take split files, join them in wavelab and save
- Add fade in/out to beg/end of show in wavelab
- Burn 24 bit DVD
- Flac 24 bit files

16 bit
- Open first 24 bit file (raw file from 722) in Wavelab and dither/resample
- Repeat processs for additional 24 bit files (until show is complete)
- Open resampled/dithered files in CDWAV and open the saved cuesheet (which should put the track marks at the same point in the file as the 24 bit copy)
- Save files
- Repeat process for additional 16/44.1 chunks until show is complete
- Take split files, join them in Wavelab and save
- Burn 16/44 CD
- FLAC 16 bit files

I think this is what exactly what I do as well... I don't do fades or anything like that, so I don't worry about that stuff.... I think I join them in wavelab only becuase I throw them all in a montage to burn a DVD-A.   

Anyways, I'm polluting this thread with OT stuff, I apologize to the thread originator.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 04:50:51 PM »

Agreed on tapers.  Though for me personal, the extra work involved in dithering would require me to hire a producer to handle the extra work load.  I usually have a full taping schedule. Maybe in the future, but not now while I battling tapers-flu.   ;)   ;D 

Really?  Why?  I cut the 24/96 files into separate .wav tracks via CDWave for DVD.  To "dumb it down" to 16/44.1 for CDs I just use Wavelab to dither then resample the files in batch w/ a preset I've created and saved.  Wavelab will process an entire 3hr show of files in about 3-5min.  Short enough that I don't get bored just sitting there watching it run (and I'm not very patient).  Sure, it's an extra step, but I wouldn't call it time consuming by any stretch of the imagination.

Any tips on creating the batch processing preset you made in Wavelab would be entirely appreciated.  I usually cut the files in CD-WAV, and save each track at 24bit.  Then, I'll bring in the huge file into SoundForge, do a Waves L2 dither, and re-cut them all again with CD-WAV using the cue sheet.

I really suck at wavelab.   It seems very counter-intuitive to me.

It's pretty easy really.  Doing this from memory...will double check later at home. 

In the Process menu on the top toolbar there is an option for BATCH PROCESSING. 

Once that's open, on the INPUT tab, select all of the individual 24bit files you created in CDWav, then look for the button towards the far right of the window that is "EDIT BATCH PLUGINS".  Looks like a piece of paper w/ a + sign I think.  In there you need to find the UV22HR plugin and add it to the list of plugins to process (it will show up in the window on the left when added).  Then find the resample plugin, add it also, and set it to 44.1.  You should now have 2 plugins in the left side of the input window.  FYI they process in the order listed should you want to change it.  Once they're both in there, look for the preset option and just save the preset.  Now when you come back and do this again, you just goto "Edit Batch Plugins" in the dialog and load your preset instead of picking the plugins individually. 

Next goto the OUTPUT tab, and pick a location to save the new files.  BE SURE TO CHANGE THE OUTPUT FORMAT TO 16bit 44.1khz WAV otherwise the wav headers will be wrong and they'll look like 24bit files even though they aren't.

Now just run it.  You'll see a progress bar open up and you can watch it run through all of the files.  Seriously takes 3-5min to do an entire show on my box.  That's is....pretty easy once you do it once.

Good luck!  Lemme know if you need anymore help.

mitch

PS, that workflow above is fine, but that's a hard way of doing it in my opinion if your goal is to make both a 24bit and 16bit fileset.  The only step really required after my method is using shntool to fix any boundry errors for CD.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 04:57:11 PM by mhibbs »
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »
thanks mhibbs +T  - I'm gonna try that later on!

Do you know how to do a lot of stuff in wavelab?  I'd like to abandon SF at some point...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 04:59:29 PM by p »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 04:58:38 PM »
to batch process you can also just open the first file in wavelab, then open the master section, mAKE SURE YOUR uv22hr IS SET TO 16-Bit, then hit render, then 'create specific file' then name it accordingly, and then hit batch, and make sure everything is set the way you want it, open all of the files and let her rip ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 05:00:24 PM »
to batch process you can also just open the first file in wavelab, then open the master section, then hit render, then 'create specific file' then name it accordingly, and then hit batch, and make sure everything is set the way you want it, open all of the files and let her rip ;D

sweet!  thanks to you as well +.  I knew there was a way to do this stuff, I'm just such a noob to wavelab, that I couldnt figure it out - I was trying to get er workin, but was havin no luck.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 10:23:39 PM »
be careful with the batch process, it creates SBE's and the wavs are not identical if do it with the other process...see this whole thread

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49027.msg678596#msg678596

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 05:36:21 AM »
My DAW only has 36GB of storage for audio files and I have no problems with space(you guys know how much i tape too). 

yes, but you also didn't tape for 8 hours solid for 3 days at OSMF either. No way 36 GB would have gotten you by for that long without offloading somewhere.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 09:56:27 AM »
My DAW only has 36GB of storage for audio files and I have no problems with space(you guys know how much i tape too).

yes, but you also didn't tape for 8 hours solid for 3 days at OSMF either. No way 36 GB would have gotten you by for that long without offloading somewhere.

Wayne

I'm not as crazy as you are wayne.  I did fine w/ ACL this year and some pretty busy weeks since then.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 09:15:38 AM »
be careful with the batch process, it creates SBE's and the wavs are not identical if do it with the other process...see this whole thread

Interesting...going to go back and check that out then.  I have seen SBEs which didn't surprise (or concern me) since shntool fix lines them back up and pads the last track.  The .wav not lining up at the join is certainly a concern which I'm going to check as soon as I get home, although I didn't notice anything audible in the last set I did.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 09:18:48 AM »
dont think it was audible...what concerned me the most from  that thread is that the wav file if resampled/dithered outside of batch processing a bunch of small files vs doing the whole file at once was not identical....honestly, it may not matter as I couldnt hear an impact, but if a change to my workflow can make it a non issue, it makes it a pretty easy decision

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 09:19:19 AM »

Interesting...going to go back and check that out then.  I have seen SBEs which didn't surprise (or concern me) since shntool fix lines them back up and pads the last track.  The .wav not lining up at the join is certainly a concern which I'm going to check as soon as I get home, although I didn't notice anything audible in the last set I did.

I actually just used the process you outlined above on my original .wavs, before I split them... worked like a charm - thanks for delineating that for me.  Appreciate it!

+T

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 11:16:51 AM »
dont think it was audible...what concerned me the most from  that thread is that the wav file if resampled/dithered outside of batch processing a bunch of small files vs doing the whole file at once was not identical....honestly, it may not matter as I couldnt hear an impact, but if a change to my workflow can make it a non issue, it makes it a pretty easy decision

Agreed, and it's likely that Wavelab is introducing the same slight difference in the wav when doing the one big file as well, but there's no way to really compare and discover the difference.  In other words, doing all of the small files individually compounds the difference...and I bet it's the dither that's the culprit.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2005, 10:21:51 PM »
I did some testing when I got home and had some interesting results.  If you're interested, see the other thread....

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49027.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com