Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modding stepped gain to continual gain  (Read 1494 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Modding stepped gain to continual gain
« on: June 09, 2008, 03:42:38 AM »
I saw a post in a recent thread asking if someone could modify the gain knobs on a recorder from stepped gain, to continual gain.  Stepped gain exists on many kinds of units so it need not be directly a recording device, but maybe a pre-amp.  Is there a way to actually mod stepped gain in to continual gain?  I can't imagine it's just as easy as putting in continual-turn knobs...is it?
Socks are overrated.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Modding stepped gain to continual gain
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:26:05 AM »
Essentially you would be replacing one potentiometer with another.  Unless there is a really good reason to change it, I would leave it alone.  But the other folks apparently disagree.  The trick is doing the job without buggering it up.  Send it out.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Modding stepped gain to continual gain
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »
Some stepped gain controls are actually switching in components rather than operating a continuous pot.

Personally, the more I live with the stepped gain of the R-44 the more I like it, but I guess it's not for everyone.

(Advantages - precise resettability, precise changing of gain across multiple channels.   Disadvantages - at worst you might end up recording 5.99dB below the level you wanted - if the steps are 6dB - but the chances of that actually mattering audibly in the end result with the gear we have these days is pretty small, imho).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com