Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: No ROOT file on my H120 in Windows  (Read 1493 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
No ROOT file on my H120 in Windows
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:05:50 AM »
I picked up an Iriver H120 on ebay to use mostly for a player but to also have around for a backup for patching,etc.
so I read the FAQ (good stuff in there, thanks) and dl'd the rockbox patcher and lo and behold...when I go to drop the new firmware onto the root folder it does not appear in windows. The file is on the device itself ( I can see it in the menu ) but it does not appear in windows when it's connected to the pc. I guess the guy who erased the drive before he sold it to me erased this folder as well.

I have tried reformatting it and contacted Iriver support (who recommended reformatting it) but nothing seems to help. I even tried creating a folder named ROOT and putting the rockbox firmware in there but it still boots up to the stock firmware.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline petur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
Re: No ROOT file on my H120 in Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 04:45:01 AM »
What we refer to as the ROOT is not the top directory. In windows, this is where you end up if you go to the drive by clicking on the drive-icon...
You need to read and follow the install guidelines found on http://www.rockbox.org, the manual would be a great place to start.

Rockbox consists of:
1) a bootloader: you 'patch' an original firmwarefile, put it on your device and use the original firmware to 'upgrade'
2) the actual rockbox software: this is a bunch of files that you copy on the drive. Just unzip to the player and you should end up with a directory called .rockbox on it. If this does not exist, the bootloader will always start the normal firmware.

have fun!
Peter

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com