Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 103861 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2006, 07:24:16 PM »
got mine today as well.
very nicely done machine.  great menu.  completely simplistic.

Online tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2006, 11:54:57 PM »
interesting issue tonight with the R09 and a Transcend 4GB card.  i recorded 2 sets separately, 1 hour each.  came home and stuck the transcend in a card reader, and copied to the files over to the HD.  file 1 i could open and play, while file 2 gave me a "cannot open RIFF chunk, not a valid WAVE file" message when tryiing to open with CDWave.  no luck with foobar either.

i also tried a copy/paste via USB from the R09 but i got the same issue.  recordings were done at 24/44, and the file size looks about right, just under 1GB.  if it matters, i renamed the files prior to copying them onto my HD.

just to add, i tried playing the file directly on the R09, and it flashes 'improper song'.

can i retreive this second file?  anyone have any advice?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 12:05:13 AM by tapeworm48 »
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline blindowl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2006, 12:34:43 AM »
I'd try a different card reader if I were you. 

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2006, 02:23:17 AM »
just to add, i tried playing the file directly on the R09, and it flashes 'improper song'.

Try to open it as a raw file in your sound editing program.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2006, 03:15:56 AM »
What battery life can I expect with Duracell AA's?
And rechargable batteries? (2350 mAH?)

Well, on 2 AA Alkalines, I was able to record over 6 (!) hours.
So the batteries match the recording time of a 4GB SD card.

I just finished a little battery test of my own.  Powerex 2500 mAh.  I got 9 hours of record time.  The low battery indicator came on about the 8:50 mark, so there was still a few minutes left.  I recorded at 64 kbps .
So no WAV. But more CPU for the MP3, right?
What would the time be for 16-bit WAV?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2006, 03:16:33 AM »
BTW: What is the max signal the R09 line in can take before clipping at minimum gain?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2006, 09:07:02 AM »
interesting issue tonight with the R09 and a Transcend 4GB card.  i recorded 2 sets separately, 1 hour each.  came home and stuck the transcend in a card reader, and copied to the files over to the HD.  file 1 i could open and play, while file 2 gave me a "cannot open RIFF chunk, not a valid WAVE file" message when tryiing to open with CDWave.  no luck with foobar either.

i also tried a copy/paste via USB from the R09 but i got the same issue.  recordings were done at 24/44, and the file size looks about right, just under 1GB.  if it matters, i renamed the files prior to copying them onto my HD.

I posted my experience at Rob Zombie with a similar issue in this thread back around July 19th. I ended up using UltraEdit as a hex-editor to fix the first 44 bytes of the file manually and was able to retrieve the file. The steps are in this thread or the previous one a few days after 7/19.

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »
[What would the time be for 16-bit WAV?

Doing 16/44 with 2000mah NiMh batteries I get >8 hours.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2006, 07:32:06 AM »
[What would the time be for 16-bit WAV?

Doing 16/44 with 2000mah NiMh batteries I get >8 hours.

Thanks, good info!

What about the max signal level for line in? 0dBu = 0.775 V rms is the actual figure?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 07:36:28 AM by udovdh »

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2006, 11:21:16 AM »
What about the max signal level for line in? 0dBu = 0.775 V rms is the actual figure?

That is probably right, haven't measured it.  You can run a high signal in since with the gain set at <8 it attenuates the line input.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »

I posted my experience at Rob Zombie with a similar issue in this thread back around July 19th. I ended up using UltraEdit as a hex-editor to fix the first 44 bytes of the file manually and was able to retrieve the file. The steps are in this thread or the previous one a few days after 7/19.

If foobar won't play it, then the RIFF header is missing any attribute information about the sampling rate, bit depth, # of channels. Foobar and Winamp are pretty good about playing files even if the counters are not there but this other information is.

You can use the Ultra-Edit method to reconstruct the RIFF header of the bad file. If doing so you need to make the first 44 bytes of the bad file match that of a good one recorded with the same settings. Then the only other thing that needs to happen is that the counters in the RIFF must be correct. Run the file through my Audiohack utility to do that. The new output file from that program will have corrected info.

Some audio apps like Samplitude, Wavelab, Adobe Audition have a way to import raw data. You can alternately do that if you have the software and find that to be simpler. I know Samplitude the best. In samplitude 7 or 8, you can also specify a starting offset. Usually this is at byte 45 unless there is a pad chunk. Ultraedit is quite handy to determine where this offset is. Yes, it's a text editor, but the hex mode is very useful for viewing and editing binary files too.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2006, 12:12:28 PM »
If anyone can help me fix this 0 length file thing using audiohack or any audio application (wavelab, sf, cep, etc.) please help.

George:  I've used audiohack several times with success. It's pretty straightforward to use... copy the WAV file to your HDD.

Then, you start up audiohack > drag & drop the WAV file onto the audiohack window > enter the destination\filename, and audiohack will write two WAV files (the 2nd WAV file is the "keeper," and I'm not sure what the 1st WAV file's purpose is).

If the file won't copy from the R-09 to your HDD to begin with, then simply start up audiohack (with the R-09 hooked up via USB) and drag & drop the WAV file from the 'removable drive' (R-09) onto the audiohack command prompt window.

Do you have audiohack? If not, it's available here: http://www.shoptheozarks.com/GGM/audiohck.zip

Good luck.  ;)

This isn't quite right. If your original file is 2gb or less, the first file is the one you want. The second can be discarded.

I will explain the original purpose of the tool and this should explain the two output files.

When developing software for pocket pc I decided to have my application (Live2496) write a 4gb file continuously so that there would be no break in the recording. Audiohack was developed because most windows audio applications can't handle wav files larger than 2gb. So the original intention was to split a 4gb file into two 2gb files.

After developing the program, it occurred to me that the tool could also be used to correct RIFF header information by passing a file of 2gb or less through it. In that case you get a file the same size as your original file and then a RIFF header only for the second file. In that case, the second file is empty and can be discarded. (ie. 44 bytes only, empty except for the header info)

If you had an 8gb file, for example, you could reiterate the process a number of times to get 2gb chunks. Take the second output file and keep reiterating the process, keeping output file #1, until (4) 2gb files had been created.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 12:14:31 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2006, 01:13:26 PM »

That is probably right, haven't measured it.  You can run a high signal in since with the gain set at <8 it attenuates the line input.
Oh?
So at at 8 it neither amplifies nor attenuates? (and accepts 0.775V rms to get 0dBFS)
And below 8 it starts attenuating?

If so: that would be very good news! Any idea on how much the max line level can be with attenuation?

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2006, 01:00:15 AM »
I recorded a couple shows tonight.  AT853Wa (y mod) > "Crown Royal" 3wire > R09.  let me just say this rig needs some warmth.  mod sbm maybe.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2006, 07:35:27 AM »
What mods are already offered and by who(m)?
Which mods are recommended?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com