Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

some like it hot?

(1/6) > >>

phriendlyguy:
dr schoeps.  assuming you run schoeps.  what pre do you run and hot do you run it usually.  do you run the pre hot and the a/d to dial it all in.  or fire the a/d and pre soft.  this just seems to be an on going argument not supported by fact, between friends.  the nuemanns like to be hot, and i have heard different about schoeps.  not as much pre is better?  the rig is only as good as the user.  alwys searching for an opinion.  ??? PEACE  

Bri:
Your assumption is correct ;) I run the pre in the Apogee. As for gain, I push it to the pegs, meaning I run as hot as possible. For me, the green light on the apogee means go, the yellow yield and the red stop. I maybe clip once or twice or more trying to get as hot as possible w/o clipping. Essentially maximizing the frequency responce of the recording by using all the bandwidth.

If I were to run a pre, I would run the apogee in it's "line or mic level calibrated" mode. Check the output of the pre. That way the apogee (or whatever pre) knows to expect +4 pr or -10 consumer or mic level -45 dBu, 150 Ohm. This will be a "true bypass" type mode for the amplifiers in the apogee.

Now you can just set levels using the controls on the pre, and the metering on the apogee or your tapedeck, no need to look at the pre. That's how I would do it.

As far as running "hot" for different mic types, I would *think* that it would make no difference. When you have the levels higher, you are essentially increasing the dynamic range of the recording. Maybe  people like the sound of the schoeps w/o the full dyn range, but IMHO if you are going to make a recording, take advantage of the full bandwidth of the recording medium.

cheers
the doc ;)

jpschust:
If you are gonna run mics, run em as hot as possible w/o overloading your circuits.  The AD1000 soft limit is great for this.  I can't stress this enough... hotter = more range = more sound.  

phriendlyguy:
well i know how my mics sound good.  just wondering how others work.  and the mme i was thinking.  what is an a/d anyway.  truly a rig is only as good as the mics and preamp.  i hate to say it but apogee lacks in the pre department. again i await the V3.  (AD1000 ;D) mme :P

jpschust:
Hye,

I'm guessing you are judging the pre in the MME with the 4v tapes... those tapes just kinda stink.  The pre is a great pre as compared to the 1000, await my tapes :-P

Jonny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version