Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7

<< < (48/81) > >>

Gordon:
extra 2 are the l/r on the fly mix.  I disable it....

justme:
The “3” does three isolated tracks plus a two channel stereo down mix.
The “6” does six isolated tracks plus a two channel stereo down mix.

The “3” can do five channel input and two channel out over usb.
Where the “6” can manage eight in and four out.

aaronji:
A new firmware release is up on the Sound Devices website (v7.15).

carpa:

--- Quote from: justme on November 07, 2021, 10:37:00 AM ---The “3” does three isolated tracks plus a two channel stereo down mix.
The “6” does six isolated tracks plus a two channel stereo down mix.

The “3” can do five channel input and two channel out over usb.
Where the “6” can manage eight in and four out.

--- End quote ---

I'm also interested in understanding this thing. I.e. mixpre 6 has 4 xlr inputs + a stereo 3,5 for an additional stereo microphone. But, the device has only 4 preamp, so this are the questions:
1) Must the 3,5 input  be intended as a pure line-input, with no preamp stage, no gain etc? In that case I guess you could just plug a line signal - i.e. a line out signal from an external preamp or mixer and provide the needed gain before.  In case this is correct, I guess that mixpre 3 could allow to record simultaneously with 5 mics and mixpre 6 with five mics ( providing the extra two mics with their own powering and gain)
2) Does the 3.5 input provide gain? In the specs the Aux-in is described as having a line or mic mode with the indication of 30 db of gain. That would mean there is another dedicated preamp stage in addition to the 3 or 4 Kashmir preamps, which I don't think is advertised, though 

So the main question is how many microphones can be actually used at the same time with these devices?
Thanks all

aaronji:
^ The MixPre-6 has four Kashmir (class A discrete) pre-amps on the XLR mic/line inputs, plus a chip-based pre on the 1/8" stereo input. A total of 6 ISOs. The MixPre-3 can NOT record five channels of ISOs, only three.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version