Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: OSX:issues w/AirportExtreme & Hawking HAWNU2 speed/drops 2.4GHZ interference?  (Read 16574 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Most residential ISPs do use dynamic IPs since a home user doesn't really need a static IP but that's not the static IP BJ and I are referring to. Within the router, you can set your imac to always use the same internal IP address based on its MAC address.

For instance, my network address is 192.168.10.0 with subnet of 255.255.248.0 and the router IP address is 192.168.10.10 and my IP range starts at 192.168.10.20. All the machines on this router I given a static IP since I disabled DHCP and set it up to hand out static IPs. The computer I'm typing on now is 192.168.10.20 and will always be this address. I can set the computer to manually use this address or make it think its DHCP but as long as its connected to this router, it will use 192.168.10.20

10.x.x.x
172.16.x.x
192.168.x.x
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

these are all private networks and you will never see it used it a public setting like on a webserver, mail server, ISP, etc.

What BJ and I are saying is make both routers have either 10.x or 192.168.x.x since you don't really need double NAT and then make the routers hand out static IPs to the devices on your network. The actual host address doesn't really matter. mine starts at 192.168.10.20 and goes to 192.168.10.35 or .36
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
^^^ ^thanx that makes sense...
I will go that route in the future soon
but one thing at a time
I want to first get my network out here.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

so I ran CAT 6 direct to the garage
 with 2 APC (Ethernet) Surge Protectors
and I got this speed test result!

on the 5ghz network
way better now I have the net work in the garage
now to run the CAT 6 trough 2/4" grey PVC electrical conduit!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
AWESOME!!!

Where was the cable connected to? from airport or from netgear?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ArchivalAudio

AWESOME!!!

Where was the cable connected to? from airport or from netgear?
to be exact "AwesomeExtreme!"
The Netgear is the only Modem we have currently- it is also the router my wife's network is set up  in the house.
so the RG6 Quad shielded coax is connected from the charter line from the outside of the house -> the NetGear Modem/Router -> CAT6 (from Ethernet out on netgear) -> APC surge ->CAT6> APC surge#2 -> CAT6 -> Airport Extreme
now at 5 ghz I show
Signal:  -37 | Noise:  -96 | Rate: 300 | Type: 802.11 (5GHz)

:) :) :) :)  ;D
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
I see....the airport was ALSO in the garage with the computer and you were trying to obtain steady speeds wirelessly from the house with netgear.

Take some pictures when you burying the cable!!

Offline ArchivalAudio

I see....the airport was ALSO in the garage with the computer and you were trying to obtain steady speeds wirelessly from the house with netgear.

Take some pictures when you burying the cable!!

not exactly
the Airport had been in the house in a closet along the back wall of the house.  The Hawking USB 13dbi antenna (2.4ghz n)  was aimed at the  Airport at the house.

my original plan in September was to trench an ether net cable
I tried Powerline adapters, and a slew of other stuff then the hawking
but since about May 1st my signal kept dropping
so I went back to the CAT6 cable so I COULD have the airport in the garage!

I'm gonna take documentation photos
when using the 3/4" conduit and trenches, yes of course.

I am just so happy it works - and I should have went this route in the first place!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
Well september has come and gone. Has the ditch been dug yet?

I have discovered ubiquiti wifi products that would be PERFECT if you have not yet dug a ditch. ubiquiti makes wifi AP/routers for businesses and wifi providers. Think wifi access in a park. It is also possible to setup a point to point or point to multi point over several miles with there products.

Perhaps the picostation is something you can use in your situation. http://www.ubnt.com/picostationm

You won't find these devices at bestbuy or even on newegg but that doesn't mean the are outrageous in price. Titan Wireless sells it for $80
http://www.titanwirelessonline.com/Ubiquiti-Pico2M-HP-AP-p/ap-pico2m-hp.htm

Let us know if you made the ditch or not!

Offline ArchivalAudio

Sean,

Here are a number of pics I have took when the trench was dug... with the 3/4" PVC grey  "Conduit" run with the CAT 6 Ethernet cable installed.
The Hawking did work well, before there was too much interference, of the leaves.
I need to put up FS in the YS

anyway
here is the trench and sidewalks and cubs in all their glory:

from the house:

another view of the grey conduit exiting the back bedroom:

further down and a view of the ~ 70° turn:

from there under sidewalk 1 :

A view of sidewalk 1 & 2:

the ~ 60° turn exiting sidewalk 2:

top view of that ~ 60° turn:

Then following the angle of the sidewalk toward the garage:

A closer view of the way to the Garage and the steps to the door:

Closer and a view of sidewalk 3 and the transition to the Curb:

Under the curb and to the garage:

To help make custom angle bends from the 90° and the 45° angle elbows I used a heat gun to get the angle I needed.

The system has been functioning fine after I purchased a DOCSIS 3 Motorola cable modem - the net gear was totally over heating and I ended up having a 19" box fan on 24/7 to cool it down.... Charter is owned by ComCrap, and has multiple glitches with there service.

peace out
--Ian

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:49:51 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Hey thanks for following up with pictures of the big dig.  Glad it all worked out for you, nice job!  :clapping:
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline ArchivalAudio

Hey thanks for following up with pictures of the big dig.  Glad it all worked out for you, nice job!  :clapping:

Thank you!

It took me so long because the pics seemed to have gotten lost, and then found
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

latest result running Airport Extreme at 5Ghz
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
That is great work! Nice job and its good to hear it paid off!

Offline ArchivalAudio

I think that much of the issues with consistency was the the NetGear Modem/Router
Instead of paying them 9.99/month to "rent" the crappy routerI finally decided to purchase a Motorla DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem.
We already had another wireless router for in the house and set that up.
I decided that it would be worth payong the extra 9.99 per month to upgrade our speed package.

The main issue was we would loose connection all togetther, and this was caused by the netgear  Modem/Router overheating after a few hours, or less. I fixed that by using a 19" box fan on medium blowing accross the unit, while it was placed an a "screened" shelf.

To be honest
I believe that most of the connection issues can now be traced to the netgear unit, which we returned to charter.

we still have occasional issues, but sometimes it charter.
At work we have charter, and use it  for our VOIP phones etc....  in the past month they have gone DOWN for over 12 hours  2x, and  region wide (nearly state wide).

all in all we are mostly happy with our set up.

thanx
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com