Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Cables for soundboard patches

<< < (2/9) > >>

Matt Quinn:

--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on February 20, 2004, 10:24:20 AM ---For example, many folks will run the soundboard patch directly into a Sony portable DAT deck
--- End quote ---

I've always wondered about this- why not use your normal ADC before the deck? Anybody?

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: The_Tube on March 22, 2004, 03:55:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on February 20, 2004, 10:24:20 AM ---For example, many folks will run the soundboard patch directly into a Sony portable DAT deck
--- End quote ---

I've always wondered about this- why not use your normal ADC before the deck? Anybody?
--- End quote ---

If I wasn't running audience at the same time, I personally would run a SBD patch through my V3 (or other outboard ADC).  Only reason I wouldn't is if the SBD signal was too hot (but if that was the case, I'd probably carry around a set of attenuators).

monochromic:

--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on February 20, 2004, 10:24:20 AM ---Option 2 - input-specific adapters

2 x RCA female | 3.5mm stereo adapter
2 x XLR female | 3.5mm stereo adapter
2 x 1/4" female | 3.5mm stereo adapter

--- End quote ---

brian -- i may be lucky enough to gain access to a sbd patch this coming weekend for a number of shows and hence am looking to pick up a number of cables to do so. your option 2 sounds like it would be the best option for me, however i'm a little confused in regards to the 'female' plug type in the above quoted list, shouldn't these be 2 x RCA male -> 3.5mm stereo adapter? ie, plugging the male cable into the female adapter in the sbd?

any help most appreciated.

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: monochromic on June 26, 2004, 06:25:21 PM ---shouldn't these be 2 x RCA male -> 3.5mm stereo adapter? ie, plugging the male cable into the female adapter in the sbd?
--- End quote ---

The adapters listed are just that - adapters.  The assumption is that you have a length of cable to run from the SBD to your recording location at which point you would use the appropriate adapter.

--- Quote ---The problem with option 2 is if you want a cable run to support all three input-specific adapters, you'll have to carry around a separate cable run for RCA, XLR and 1/4" connectors - that's a lot of cable runs to schlep around, IMO.
--- End quote ---

So if you're expecting an RCA patch outta the board, you'd have, say, a 6' cable run of 2 x RCA male/male - plug one end into the board, the other into your 2 x RCA female > 3.5mm stereo adapter.

If you're getting an XLR patch, you'd have, say, a 6' cable run of 2 x XLRf/XLRm - plug the female end into the board, male end into your 2 x XLRf > 3.5mm stereo adapter.  Make sense?

monochromic:

--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on June 26, 2004, 07:02:00 PM ---Make sense?

--- End quote ---

does indeed. thanks for clearing that up for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version