Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Tweeter Replacement for Advent Speakers

<< < (2/2)

Chilly Brioschi:
$200 for new tweeters and crossovers, but woofers are getting soft, need foam, coil is deteriorating ...

There are some very nice upgrade options
The high end stuff of 10 years ago has dropped 70% in price, and might amaze you.
Funny thing about high end consumers is that they often work or travel so much that their gear is pristine
Bower & Wilkins flagship for under $2k ! (They were about $8500 new)

But, if you want to nurse those along, there are a few close matches
https://simplyspeakers.com/assets/images/pdffiles/P85C00019-spec.pdf
If you haven't seen that yet

And then there is the hope of good, used parts:
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/d/sicklerville-baby-advent-speakers/7534385158.html
(Change the crossover caps on old speakers, at least)

rumbleseat:
If your Advent speakers are the "Original Large Advent" model, with the beveled front trim edge, then you should take a close look at the crossovers.  There were two and maybe three revisions of the crossover circuit. "Rev 1", with a pair of 16 uF capacitors was hard on the tweeters and Advent adjusted to "Rev 2" with an 8 and 16 uF capacitor to reduce tweeter burnout.  Whether your speakers have Rev 1 or Rev 2 crossovers, it would be worthwhile to completely rebuild them to Rev 2 with new film capacitors and better coils.  This isn't too difficult if you have some soldering skills and a voltmeter that can read inductance (or have your speaker guru do it for you...).  I can send you a parts list if interested.

Scooter123:
These are two--Advent 3s which were a bookcase small speaker, and the "Smaller Advent Speaker" which while small, was larger than the Advent 3s.  The crossover seems to be 1800 or so.  All were good per my tech guy.  I am not qualified to test anything other than listening, so Audio Design in Burbank which is super busy with studio repairs (the lobby is a whose who of bands, recording studios and artists) with pictures of a ton of famous people that flock to this small shop.  Good enough for Manny Marroquin (a recording engineer) is good enough for me. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version