Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

How Many Sources?

(1/10) > >>

moondust.and.solitude:
I imagine a lot of tapers do this, just curious as to how many sources you have per show? I usually end up with 3. Of course I'll have my mics mounted on/under my collar, my wife (or if she doesn't go, my son usually does) has another set of mics and for some reason I always use the iPhone with one of those lightning adapter mics. This has been a blessing as if I need to eliminate a loud whistler, screamer or talker, I can borrow a few seconds from one of the other sources to splice in. Sometime, rarely, I will do a three source matrix mix but I'm usually not a fan of those.

Do you do this as well?

moondust.and.solitude:
I failed to mention this in the original post, but the most I have had for one show is 8. It was complete overkill, but we had fun with it as we felt like a walking Radio Shack going into the venue. Lol.

rocksuitcase:
for larger, open taping shows, kindms and I have had 2 "decks" with at most 4 pairs of mics. My fave multi source set up was 4 channels of AUD with 2 channels of SBD for the "Lunch at the Egg" series in 2018.

moondust.and.solitude:

--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on November 16, 2022, 03:02:45 PM ---for larger, open taping shows, kindms and I have had 2 "decks" with at most 4 pairs of mics. My fave multi source set up was 4 channels of AUD with 2 channels of SBD for the "Lunch at the Egg" series in 2018.

--- End quote ---

Very nice. I treasure those SBD patches. Drivin' & Cryin' usually give me one and I love mixing it with an audience recording. They are one of the few "open tape" bands that I get to see.

EmRR:
I think the most I've done was 7 mics and mono SBD, I'd call 5 of the mics a virtual coincident stereo array, and the other 2 spaced omni's.  I experiment a lot and don't have a regular thing I do.   The coincident is usually mid side, or dual mid side, or horizontal B array.  MS additional channels may be options to compare later, like cardioid or shotgun mid, and/or mid omni that might be low passed for bass only.  If I'm doing more than mono, but not more than 2 mics, it's usually MS.   If I'm stealthing, it's usually mono with a 4060 omni, have never been happy with the motion effects of stereo in a stealth situation, though I may do it so as to pick the best of the two at various points.  I haven't gone PAS all that many times though I recognize the value in many situations. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version