Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Returning to Taping: DPA MMA-A > iPhone > Then what?

(1/13) > >>

jmz93:
Hi.

I sold my pair of 4060's just before the Pandemic, but kept my MMA-A interface.

I'm ready to return to taping.

Do you still recommend 4060's Core for stealth/low profile, and handling a wide range of SPL's?

I usually just run the two cables down the back of my shirt and tape the mics to my shoulders, no windscreens if I'm indoors.

I'm about to upgrade my phone, meaning I'll be USB C instead of Lightning®. Can I feed the MMA-A with USB-C to USB-B Mini without issue?
I believe it expects B mini... it's the little connector with two little bumps on one side.

Please PM or reply here if you wish. All my contact info on here is incorrect and I can't seem to figure out how to edit my profile.

Thanks

jmz93:
I forgot to also ask which iOS app you're using for recording. I don't remember what I used to use with the MMA-A years ago. Simpler the better please, as long as it will save 24/96 wav.

WiFiJeff:
I would suggest you try DPA for an answer, but my experience with them is not too hopeful.  The included micro USB to lightening cable is NOT a standard cable, when I had to replace it I found that ONLY the very expensive DPA cable or the cable that came with the Saramonic Smart V2M (an oafish clumsy rip-off that sorta looks like the MMA-A, but was sold online in places for a bit more than a DPA cable!) worked.  Even those cables that fit into the smallish MMA-A micro USB port and claimed to be "on the go" type failed.  DPA US didn't know anything about what cable you needed, and Saramonic never answered.  Maybe a simple lightening female to USB C male adapter for the end of the DPA cable will work, but I'd want to try it to be sure (maybe Apple has someone who will know if this should work, you need to power the MMA from the phone).  I vaguely recall that you could replace the included MMA-A USB micro to USB A cable with no problem, so I think this is an Apple thing.

The program I use is Apogee Metarecorder (the Rode Recorder program broke with an update to iOs and they never fixed it as far as I know).  This records 24/96 but you should save as CAF files since the program shuts down after 2 Gig when recording as wav.  I use Audacity to break out the CAF to wav files, which is pretty quick and easy.

By the way, it won't help in getting answers from DPA that the MMA-A was discontinued earlier this year.  I haven't seen a new product announced yet (but some places that carried the MMA-A and still have stock have raised the asking price).  If they come up with a 32 bit float version and/or 4 channels I'll be happy.  Anyone hear anything about a successor to the MMA-A?

stl_oni:
I still love the DPA 4060/4061 with the DPA D:VICE MMA-A as a stealth taping device; it can't get any more smaller and the mics do an excellent job.

Instead of using some kind of adapter to USB-C (never tried it so far, good luck with that) you should try to find an old iPhone 5/5s or an old iPod touch you solely use for recording; they should be really cheap by now. That way you avoid any kind of interruption or distortion while recording and you can just start recording and leave the iPhone in your pocket.

I also use Apogee Metarecorder, highly recommended and you can record 96/24 with that in .caf format.

I have already broken two original usb-to-lightning cables for the DPA D:VICE MMA-A. Normal, cheap micro USB to Lightning cables do not work. What works (tested several times) is the SHURE AVM-LTG Micro-USB to Lightning cable (available in various lengths). This is very well available (at least in Germany) and costs a third of the original DPA cable. The cable also has the advantage that the Lightning connector is more stable than the original DPA cable.

Have fun and good luck with your return to taping.

AdamHuston:

--- Quote from: oni_oni on September 17, 2023, 05:33:10 PM ---I still love the DPA 4060/4061 with the DPA D:VICE MMA-A as a stealth taping device; it can't get any more smaller and the mics do an excellent job.

Instead of using some kind of adapter to USB-C (never tried it so far, good luck with that) you should try to find an old iPhone 5/5s or an old iPod touch you solely use for recording; they should be really cheap by now. That way you avoid any kind of interruption or distortion while recording and you can just start recording and leave the iPhone in your pocket.

I also use Apogee Metarecorder, highly recommended and you can record 96/24 with that in .caf format.

I have already broken two original usb-to-lightning cables for the DPA D:VICE MMA-A. Normal, cheap micro USB to Lightning cables do not work. What works (tested several times) is the SHURE AVM-LTG Micro-USB to Lightning cable (available in various lengths). This is very well available (at least in Germany) and costs a third of the original DPA cable. The cable also has the advantage that the Lightning connector is more stable than the original DPA cable.

Have fun and good luck with your return to taping.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  Love using mine.  Have not ran into an issue with the cable so far.  Will look into grabbing one of the Shure cables as a back up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version