Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

AKG sound

<< < (7/7)

geoff piper:

--- Quote from: carlbeck on June 23, 2003, 05:04:03 PM ---I ran my 391's analog first :o Then switched to DAT with a Zefiro in-box for a few months before I replaced them with 480's (which I also ran with the Zefiro for a while) then changed to a 248 & it has been nothing but money since then ;D The 390's are nice but the 480's are SOOOOOOOO much better, it's scary.

--- End quote ---
I think I'm going to go P mod UA-5... due to the fact that people say the 391's lack more highs than lows... Then deck, cables and stand and im set  ;D Also is the P mod UA-5 good for when i eventually upgrade to the 481's?

carlbeck:
I have never tried the UA5 but Nick ran it for a while, it sounds nice & should do the job rather nicely if & when you upgrade. Taping isn't about spending money, it's about having fun. No matter what you run for a rig you should be having fun, if not quit. I do it for the love of taping, not to see how quick I can rack up more bills.

Joe w.:

--- Quote ---Still unfortunate, tho, that Oade doesn't sell pure stock UA-5's...  
--- End quote ---

The stock ua-5 won't work as a field unit without the oade digimod done to it. they sell those for 350.00

digimod - 350.00
w-mod  -  500.00
p-mod  - 525.00

mirth:

--- Quote from: Joe w. on June 23, 2003, 07:36:09 PM ---
--- Quote ---Still unfortunate, tho, that Oade doesn't sell pure stock UA-5's...  
--- End quote ---

The stock ua-5 won't work as a field unit without the oade digimod done to it. they sell those for 350.00

digimod - 350.00
w-mod  -  500.00
p-mod  - 525.00

--- End quote ---

This is all true, however I was able to buy mine brand new (unmodified) for $240. Now, when the time comes that Doug decides he's going to start modding used units I'll be ready for the P or W or whatever he's doing to them then.

FWIW, it works quite fine for me as a field unit since I tape to laptop! Also, it works unmodded as a pre, just doesn't do A>D standalone without Doug modifying it.

For those of you good with a solder iron and nerves, I've seen a website that does a circuit board comparison between the stock & d-mod UA-5. Pretty sure googling for 'UA-5 dissection' will get you there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version