Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

OPINIONS ON CD RECORDERS?

(1/2) > >>

porphyry:
In my quest to make perfect digital copies of stuff recorded digitally (ie. DAT or minidisc) I want to gather everyone's opinion on this:

CD RECORDERS.

You buy a good CD recorder, hook it up to your DAT or minidisc deck, then make a digital recording to CD. Then you put the CD in your computer and do the editing.

Is this a worthwhile alternative to copying the material to your computer through a good soundcard?

CD Recorder Vs. Soundcard.

Advantages? Disadvantages?

Opinions please.

mirth:
My guess is that folks will say go via the soundcard just to avoid the unnecessary DAE gen in your recording.

Can't speak from experience, tho... I tape to laptop. YMMV.

BillF:
I am no expert, but I would try to keep the digital all the way as far as possible.  Once the conversion is done, there is no reason why to go back to analog except to listen to it.   I would agree to keep the digital gen as low as you can.  
Depending on how you get the digital copy into your system (DAT etc...) I would not want to convert back and forth just to edit or whatever.  

I beleive in the KISS method - Keep it Simple - prevents STUPID stuff from creeping into your recordings and usually after you can do anything about it.

Brian Skalinder:
First, welcome!

Second, are you YELLING FOR A REASON, or is your caps lock busted?  :P

Third, as Mirth and BillF suggest, some tapers and traders frown upon the unnecessary DAE in the source info.  You'd effectively be doing the following:

01.  Record to MD
02.  Transfer MD digitally to CD Recorder
03.  Burn CD on CD Recorder
04.  Digital Audio Extraction of CD on PC
05.  Editing / mastering on PC
06.  Burning audio/archive CD

If it were me, I'd just pick up a cheap soundcard that doesn't resample.  It'll cost less than the CD recorder and prevent unnecessary DAE.  Problem solved.

That said, if you have access to a free/ridiculously cheap CD recorder, there's no real reason why you couldn't use the CD Recorder as long as you [a] don't mind the DAE step, and document the DAE step in the recordings you distribute.

porphyry:
sorry for the CAPS... its just thats its so loud in here i had to speak up...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version