Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

right and left

(1/9) > >>

DaryanLenz:
When you have mics crossing, such as in din, ortf etc, which one is right and which one is left.  I am often asked this question, and I assume I know the answer,  but wanted it clarified  Say in ortf, my mic that is pointed to the right side is technically on the left if looking at it from a connector basis.   However, the actual mic would be pointing to the right side of the stage, so which channel is it.  I hope this makes sense, I was thinking about it driving up to Madison yesterday...

Daryan

Brian Skalinder:
L/R is dependent upon the direction in which the capsule/element is pointed.

Chuck:
Does anyone else make note of which mic is right and which is left in recording notes?
I used to have a mismatched pair and I always wrote down which was which, by serial#,  when I made notes about the recording. That has stuck with me.

zhianosatch:
Yellow post-it note paper cut up for sizes and taped all along the LEFT chain, from cap to preamp, for me!

Simp-Dawg:
yeah, whichever direction the mic is POINTED is what channel it should be...i put a piece of duct tape at either end of one of my cables to distinguish the two during setup.
as for keeping track of which mic is in which position, i don't bother with it.  they're a matched pair and it shouldn't matter which is left and right as long as i've got the signal coming in correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version