Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone suggestions..  (Read 10492 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re:Headphone suggestions..
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 12:56:34 PM »
Those Etymotic ER-20 ear plugs are nice...  I use them all the time, because at my age (21) I shouldn't have hearing like I do (thanks to loud rock concerts)....

It does help, but while being more "flat" then normal foam plugs they still cut off the top end a little bit for me...  This past weekend I "toured" around with a friends band who has a sax player and noticed how it sounded sorta harsh almost digital when I had my plugs in.. one of the first times I noticed these being not "natural sounding".  At most rock concerts they work fantastic.

Best at keeping those chatty neighbors silent to atleast yourself..
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 01:28:50 PM »
Those Etymotic ER-20 ear plugs are nice...  I use them all the time, because at my age (21) I shouldn't have hearing like I do (thanks to loud rock concerts)....

It does help, but while being more "flat" then normal foam plugs they still cut off the top end a little bit for me...  This past weekend I "toured" around with a friends band who has a sax player and noticed how it sounded sorta harsh almost digital when I had my plugs in.. one of the first times I noticed these being not "natural sounding".  At most rock concerts they work fantastic.

Best at keeping those chatty neighbors silent to atleast yourself..

While I notice some top end loss whenever I first put them in as well, my ears quickly 'tune' themselves. The result of not wearing them is far worse. Plus when the chatters are in full effect it's nice to have their voices 'disappear' ...

NP -  moe. 9/30/01, yup Nick I am listening to moe., lol ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 01:32:02 PM »
I like the AKG 240s a lot.  Nice closed sound.  

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 01:36:28 PM »
my ears quickly 'tune' themselves. The result of not wearing them is far worse.

Definately!  What I hear at bar band shows especially sounds better with plugs in then out...  It helps to seperate the instruments for me.  One interesting note was that I was hearing the bass "fart" during the second set a lot and when talking to the guy next to me the next day he said he didn't even hear it.. must've been a loud show :)

moe.?  I thought you had recinded yourself to listening to nothing but bluegrass mark ;)  You get a chance to listen to those shows? Get that RRE transfered?  I've got some ADK SC-T samples for ya, but you'll have to come to moe.down to get them (bwahahahahaa..).. ;)

Offline silentmark

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2003, 01:55:07 PM »

moe.?  I thought you had recinded yourself to listening to nothing but bluegrass mark ;)  You get a chance to listen to those shows? Get that RRE transfered?  I've got some ADK SC-T samples for ya, but you'll have to come to moe.down to get them (bwahahahahaa..).. ;)

LOL, yeah according to *certain* individuals bluegrass is all I listen to.
Yeah some folk are completely clueless & are no longer speaking to me, lol. I am kinda suprised that I started listening to that moe. show as I have been in serious Jerry Band mode for the last month. I actually enjoyed the sdb version of it, although I still can't stand Jim, opps did I just say that out loud, lol  :veryevil:

As far as listening to those shows, well I listened to part of the RRE show, then I lent out one of my home decks, the other needs the display fixed. I WON"T play those 90m Sonys in my D8, no way sir. So I am in the middle of them, heh ...

As far as me going to moe.down, com'on you know that is the same time as the south Jersey bluegrass festival and since that is all I listen to nowadaze, I have to go there  :wink2:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 01:57:13 PM by silentmark »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2003, 02:01:49 PM »
Hehe.. i'm surprised you like those SBD's.. I listened to one and had to stop, just sounded like poop to me at the time and haven't returned to them since..   You'll have to drop me a line sometime and let me know what that drama is about as to not talking to you ;)

Hear ya on the 90m DGP's I think those killed my D7 in a hurry.. but I'm really diggin' the JB3 that replaced it.  Transfer a show in 15 minutes?  Awesome!  Be even better once I get a Firewire card!

I definately just derailed the hell outta this topic..

Offline silentmark

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2003, 02:11:04 PM »
Hehe.. i'm surprised you like those SBD's.. I listened to one and had to stop, just sounded like poop to me at the time and haven't returned to them since..   You'll have to drop me a line sometime and let me know what that drama is about as to not talking to you ;)

Hear ya on the 90m DGP's I think those killed my D7 in a hurry.. but I'm really diggin' the JB3 that replaced it.  Transfer a show in 15 minutes?  Awesome!  Be even better once I get a Firewire card!

I definately just derailed the hell outta this topic..

The only reason I actually like the boards is I *still* think Steve is brutal at the board & alot of the live moe. recordings sound like ass, but what do I know about moe. nowadays, hah, bring back Brendan  :happy:

Yeah I might fill ya in on the drama, but then again it is all quite ridiculious, again consider who is involved & I don't mean me, lol ...

I am still thinking about the JB3 to run along with my DAT. I am getting closer though as I scored a 7pin opitical about a month ago. Only problem is I would only be able to give out analog patches, as I would be using both outs on my sbm1.

Yeah we both derailed this topic  :headphones: :rockets:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 02:12:21 PM by silentmark »

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2003, 02:21:53 PM »
I'd love to see Brendan and Ragan back, but they enjoy squandering potential remember? :D

LOL, now I just am double intrigued on the drama ;)

You should find yourself a little coax splitter and just dish out a digi-patch from there..  Keep an eye out for the $50 mail in rebate on the JB3's... pick one up once they drop in price or something.  It is fun to play with!  I still haven't figured it out but somehow you can get it to act like a external hard drive instead of an mp3 player which was an added bonus..

You have any live Kaki King.. we should do a trade :)  Of course I'd mail first and wait for you to get the disks!! LOL!

Offline silentmark

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2003, 02:39:47 PM »

You should find yourself a little coax splitter and just dish out a digi-patch from there..  Keep an eye out for the $50 mail in rebate on the JB3's... pick one up once they drop in price or something.  It is fun to play with!  I still haven't figured it out but somehow you can get it to act like a external hard drive instead of an mp3 player which was an added bonus..

You have any live Kaki King.. we should do a trade :)  Of course I'd mail first and wait for you to get the disks!! LOL!

Well the problem is that I use the existing 7pin to my D8 & then the other out would be 7pinoptical to the JB3. I could give an optical patch, but not coax, unless I had a converter or something, shrug. I am hoping for that Sound Devices hard disk recorder to come about, but I still might pick up the JB3, we shall see.

I might have one Kaki King set. She was opening for the Tony LEvin Band & I think I ran tape for her set or at least part of it. I had no clue who she was until she came on stage & started playing. Man she is quite good & cute in that impish, waifish sort of way. I'll look after I get back ...

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2003, 08:14:17 PM »
all you guys who don't use ear protection, do so.  take it from us old guys who have the good 'ol tinnitus.  you don't want the contiuous ringing in your ears for the rest of your life.  etymotics are only $12.00/set.  do it.

mark, when and where is the south jersey bluegrass festival?

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2003, 12:26:00 AM »
Have any of you tried the boss headphones?  In my opinion they sound great!  ;)
481(3)>722

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2003, 12:28:06 AM »
forgot model tp-1
481(3)>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com