Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help deciding on my first mic  (Read 2199 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • All The Way Live
Need help deciding on my first mic
« on: September 29, 2004, 02:30:26 AM »
I want to buy my first mic, but im very new to this so i am not sure what i should get.  Stereo mics or cardiod?  I plan to record concerts i attend, so im looking for something compact that wont pick up much crowd noise.  I also want high sound quality and my budget is around $200.

I was recommended this mic by a friend, but i dont know anything about it.

http://www.minidisco.com/ecm-ms907.html

I was looking at this mic as an option, but again, i dont know much.

http://www.minidisco.com/sp-cmc2.html

Thanks in advance!
www.itsallthewaylive.net

SP CMC8's > SP-SPSB1 > Archos AV500 or Tascam DR-2D
ISI-HMB1 (AT943's) > battery box > Archos AV500 or Tascam DR-2D

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Need help deciding on my first mic
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 12:04:51 PM »
Go with the SP-CMC2.  Its a stealth mic, very light, and widely used here.  The Sony mic is difficult to conceal for concerts where taping is not permitted.  If you were to get a handheld mic for concerts where they allow taping, it would be better you invested your money in 2 good mics, a preamp/AD, XLR cables, and a sturdy mic stand.  Other members can give an idea on what pair of mics that have worked to their enjoyment.  That's my 2 cents.   

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 11:43:59 AM »
the sony ecm-907 was my first mic and served me very well.  It all depends on what kind of recording you plan to do stealth or stand taping.  booth of you're mic choices would be good for stealthing. If you want to get mics up on a stand I would recommend supperlux SMK-H8K(170ish for pair w/T-bar shock mounts and wind screens) even cheaper used, or try guitar center to see if any octavas are on sale.  What deck are you going to run these mics to?  pre/ad?
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline zupercreep

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 04:30:52 AM »
go with the sp mic. i've got one of those, and i've made some excellent recordings with it!
great mic for the price.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 05:00:46 AM »
the sony ecm-907 was my first mic and served me very well.  It all depends on what kind of recording you plan to do stealth or stand taping.  booth of you're mic choices would be good for stealthing. If you want to get mics up on a stand I would recommend supperlux SMK-H8K(170ish for pair w/T-bar shock mounts and wind screens) even cheaper used, or try guitar center to see if any octavas are on sale.  What deck are you going to run these mics to?  pre/ad?

if you don't need to stealth, and have the money to buy a pre/adc such as a ua-5 or something else, i'd highly suggest the superlux mics.  i think they sound better than the rest of the mics mentioned.  but thats just my opinion.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 05:32:57 AM »
superlux over oktavas any day IMHO. out of those 2 though, go with the sp.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com