Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alright, I need opinions...  (Read 5962 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Alright, I need opinions...
« on: August 01, 2003, 10:38:36 AM »
I am going to the ABB show in Raleigh next Sunday night and I have 7th row, center section, towards the end of the row seats.  I am going to this show with a few friends who have never seen them and as a result, I am not willing to trade my seats around to get a bit farther back and more center.  As a result, I am looking for input on how best to run the mics....hopefully someone here has had a similar situation!

My gut tells me that I have a couple of options:

1) Lately at Alltel they have had stage speakers on the stage pointing out to the audience.  If this is the case, the answer is probably easy....XY or DIN, based on where I am at.

2) Otherwise, I just have to raise the stand up 8-9' and go for broke.  With this being said, I am concerned that i would be in a bit of a music "hole" so to speak, so I am not sure if configurations could help solve it (ORTF...something with a wider angle basically).

I will be running 391(3)s>MP2>Mod SBM-1.  I guess I also have the option to run MG Omni's assuming Jamie is willing to loan them out if someone thinks this may work, but in talking with Jamie on this, I think I may be to close to run omni's....the bass would kill it.

Thoughts???

Nick

PS - Besides, if I fuck this up, Clear Channel will solve all my problems with the SBD copies they are selling!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 10:52:26 AM by nickgregory »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Alright, I need an opinion...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 10:43:26 AM »
You gots a high pass filter on that MP-2, no? It probably works pretty well. Maybe consider running the omnis with that goin'.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 10:46:14 AM »
That said, you'll still get the "hole" effect with omnis, it just won't be as bad...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 10:49:04 AM »
You gots a high pass filter on that MP-2, no? It probably works pretty well. Maybe consider running the omnis with that goin'.

may not be a bad plan...had not thought of that...Thanks Armen...anyone else?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 10:56:44 AM »
I would run XY in this instance if your seats are that close and on the end of the row.  Not the ideal taping position, but XY or maybe DIN angled a bit toward the center of the stage may work.  

I have no experience with omnis in this situation so I don't know if they would work or not.  My gut says that the recording would be really, really bassy and would be heavily balanced toward the end of the row in which you are sitting (if you are sitting on the left side, for example, you would get much more bass from the left side in the recording while the guitars would be more centered -- this drives me crazy).

You are welcome to borrow anything you want from my rig.  We have terrible seats from a taping perspective from sections 1 or 3 so I won't be running for this show.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
Re:Alright, I need opinions...
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 11:29:07 AM »
I have no experience with omnis in this situation so I don't know if they would work or not.  My gut says that the recording would be really, really bassy and would be heavily balanced toward the end of the row in which you are sitting (if you are sitting on the left side, for example, you would get much more bass from the left side in the recording while the guitars would be more centered -- this drives me crazy).

You're right. I did this at the Ozzfest 2nd stage last year to experiment, and it's exactly how you described. It only drives me crazy when I wear headphones, though.
Also, how far would you split those omnis? I know HRTF is not really an option.
But you know what, that close, a lot of your technique is going to depend on the little quirks of how the PA is set up, something you can only determine at the show. I say, bring both the omnis and the cards and go with your gut when you get to your seats.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 11:54:01 AM »
I say, bring both the omnis and the cards and go with your gut when you get to your seats.

A wise man speaketh!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 12:01:43 PM »
;D you never mind that

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 12:56:21 PM »
good advice Armen....Jamie, I may hit you up next week to borrow the mics....let me give it some more thought this weekend.  I am actually leaning towards just planning on running the cards, but who knows...

Thanks guys.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com