Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should I get this pre amp?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline SpareRibs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Should I get this pre amp?
« on: November 30, 2005, 12:31:36 AM »
Hi, I apologize for any dumb questions but this is my first pre amp. I bought a Sony MD recorder. Should I get this pre amp?

I use a single stereo mic so will it make a differnce? Will I still get stereo results?

http://www.minidisco.com/spa-1.html

OR

http://www.minidisco.com/sp-preamp.html

What do you recommend? I will spend up to $300 and prefer small size pre amps for stealth possibly.

Any advice is welcome

zowie

Re: Should I get this pre amp?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 11:37:41 AM »
I didn't understand you question about getting stereo results.

What mic?

Did you get a Hi-MD or standard?

Are you planning to upgrade your rig over time or are you planning to stick with this set-up for several years?

Are you recording concerts or something else?

(FYI, should you decide it's a good choice, I have an SP preamp available in the yard sale.)

Offline SpareRibs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:44:51 PM »
Hi,  ::) to anwser you questions:

Q: What mic?

A: I have an Audio Technica 822 Stereo single mic

Q: Did you get a Hi-MD or standard?

A: Hi-MD

Q: Are you planning to upgrade your rig over time or are you planning to stick with this set-up for several years?

A: Possibly

Q: Are you recording concerts or something else?

A: Mostly my band but I would like to record shows too possibly

Also, about stereo results, I meant a preamp that still allows me to record in stereo with a single stereo mic. Maybe it was a dumb question. I'm thinking now maybe all preamps allow you to record in stereo as long as the cables are correct and properly placed in the connections. Sorry if it was a dumb question.

zowie

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 11:50:44 PM »
Your mic is self-powered, so stepping up to 9v bias from the recorders "plug-in power" won't benefit you at all (and may not even be good for that mic).  IMO, the mic is not bad but it's still on the entry level side of things, so it's not like the MD's pre is a weak link preventing you from realizing the mic's sound quality.  Unless, either the mic is overloading the pres or they do not provide adequate gain.  I doubt either is the case with that mic and a typical band, but let us know if it is.

Assuming the mic output is within the useable range of the internal pres, I think you'll only get a small improvement from switching to the SP (haven't heard the other unit) and I personally don't think the benefit would outweigh the expense and greater inconvenience of an extra box and an extra battery to keep charged.  That's a judgment call, so others could differ.  I do own a HiMD and an SP pre (until someone buys it).

A higher end pre that could make a bigger sonic improvement and also continue to serve you well in a higher end rig would be another story, but you'd be in for money.

Yes, should you choose to get either of those pre's, you will still record in stereo.  Not all mic preamps are stereo (or more properly, have two channels).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:02:07 AM by zowie »

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 11:53:42 PM »

Q: Are you planning to upgrade your rig over time or are you planning to stick with this set-up for several years?

Also, about stereo results, I meant a preamp that still allows me to record in stereo with a single stereo mic. Maybe it was a dumb question. I'm thinking now maybe all preamps allow you to record in stereo as long as the cables are correct and properly placed in the connections. Sorry if it was a dumb question.

Specs on the 822

BATTERY TYPE 1.5V AA/UM3
Warning: The AT822 is designed for battery operation only. Do not attempt to use when phantom power is present. Possible damage to the microphone may result.

The links you posted wouldn't do you any good, if you don't have a stand I'd put the money there.  If you want to upgrade down the road you can take it from there.  If you search the site you can find some good reccemendations for some decent and modestly priced stands, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:56:43 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 12:00:41 AM »
Hi,  ::) to anwser you questions:

I recommend using the built in preamp in the MD.  If the music is really loud, try line in also.  That will bypass the preamp.

As others have said, I would spend the money on something else later on.  An inexpensive preamp isn't going to improve sound much.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 04:32:36 PM »
Get a Deneke AD-20.
http://www.micsupply.com/ad20.htm
They come up in the yard sale section here for around $175
It will improve the sound and it will be easier to set you levels.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 07:40:08 PM »
Get a Deneke AD-20.
http://www.micsupply.com/ad20.htm
They come up in the yard sale section here for around $175
It will improve the sound and it will be easier to set you levels.

I think this is the best recomendation so far.  If you want more gain get either an ad 20 or just an sp battery box.  the battery box may be even better concidering it is much cheaper and you can't go digi in anyway.  I would sit on that money till you can afford, in this order, an uncompressed recorder (jb3), a decent pre (ua5 or ps2/ad20 combo), better mics (although I have made some great recordings with that mic).

good luck, have fun

+T for asking questions

~kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

zowie

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 08:31:23 PM »

If you want more gain get either an ad 20 or just an sp battery box.  the battery box may be even better concidering it is much cheaper and you can't go digi in anyway.  I would sit on that money till you can afford, in this order, an uncompressed recorder (jb3), a decent pre (ua5 or ps2/ad20 combo), better mics (although I have made some great recordings with that mic).

As noted multiple times above, the AT822 -- which you claim to have used ?? -- operates on its own battery power, and only on its own power.   Ribs should NOT get an SP battery box because it will do nothing, and DEFINITELY should not run a ps2 with that mic because, in addition to being a useless expense, AT warns that phantom power may cause damage!  C'mon.

(And why can't he go digi in anyway?)

He also said he has a HiMD, which is an "uncompressed recorder."  Switching to a NJB3 as a first step up would make the least sonic improvement of the three things you suggested.  In fact, some feel that its ADC is a step down (I think they're about on par), plus he wouldn't have a mic pre to use in front of it. 

-t for giving a noob horrible advice (except for the "have fun" part!).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:59:17 PM by zowie »

Offline SpareRibs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 10:21:40 PM »
Hey thanks for all your advice! :D

I really appreciate it! It's very valuable to me. It really is!

I guess as of now, I'll just use my Sony Hi MD recorder and my AT822 mic.(I purchased the AT822 because it got good reviews at Amazon.com) I know nothing about mics but it does sound good. I'm really a new at this and am pretty clueless. I thought that it was required to have a pre amp for every recorder but it appears that it may not really be especially if it's just me recording my band.

I do plan on getting the Nomad JB3 because the problem with Hi-MD is that I can only get 1 hour and 33 minutes of uncompressed recording per disc and I have to worry about changing discs after an hour and a half which can be an inconvenience.

So when I get my JB3, I'll also get the Edirol UA-5  24-bit/96kHz USB Audio Interface as someone had suggested in a previous post and I'll get some better mics. If you can suggest some great mics to get, feel free to do so.

Thanks everyone :)

Offline SpareRibs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 11:06:18 PM »
Well from reading the other threads, I'll probably look into buying a pair of Pelosi CEMC6 mics. They got good reviews. Mostly, I'll be recording in smaller places. Sorry if I am getting off the topic in this thread. :-*

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com