Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows/Linux Question: (linux)NFTSclone, remove "cloned" bad sectors?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
I'm a mostly Linux user, but I use Windows (XP) for audio editing and presentations (powerpoint).

I've been backing up my laptop with a Linux program called ntfsclone.  I use a Knoppix boot cdrom to access my  main Windows partition.

I've cloned my main partition, and everything works OK, except Windows thinks I've got "bad sectors" in the partition.  They are not really there (this is a new drive), but they were somehow "cloned" when the OS was on a flakey drive.

Does anyone know how to get the bad sectors out?  Presumeably Windows XP (NTFS filesystem) is carrying around a list of what it believes are bad sectors.  I need some way to reset/remove this list.

Thanks,
  Richard

PS: You might find it ironic that I use Linux boot disks to backup and restore my Windows machine, but I don't know of any other way to (easily) do this.  I tried Norton Ghost, but could never figure out how to use it.  Besides, I don't want to pay *more* money to get something that should come built in with an operating system...
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com