Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External speakers for an LCD TV  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
External speakers for an LCD TV
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:23:40 AM »
I have a friend that has an LCD 19" in his bathroom and he wants to external speakers out of it.  We tried the 1/8" headphone jack, but that was too soft.  There is an audio out RCA on the back of the TV.  He doesn't want to use a receiver.

Are there external speakers out there that would plug/play for it with RCA connections?
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: External speakers for an LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
You can't drive speakers with the RCA line level outputs.  To use the RCAs he's going to need some speakers with an internal amplifier.  The many options range from PC desk speakers all the way up to studio mastering monitors.  I would look for speakers specifically designed for bathroom or outdoor use if there will be high humidity from the shower.

What is he using to feed the monitor?  If it's a cable tuner box, he can use the RCAs out of that to self powered speakers and get the benefit of volume control using the cable remote.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: External speakers for an LCD TV
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »
You can't drive speakers with the RCA line level outputs.  To use the RCAs he's going to need some speakers with an internal amplifier.  The many options range from PC desk speakers all the way up to studio mastering monitors.  I would look for speakers specifically designed for bathroom or outdoor use if there will be high humidity from the shower.

What is he using to feed the monitor?  If it's a cable tuner box, he can use the RCAs out of that to self powered speakers and get the benefit of volume control using the cable remote.

No cable receiver to the monitor, just a splitter.

I basically told him today that he probably should just pick up a cheap receiver at a garage sale and then run the RCA outs into it with some speakers out of the receiver.  It's his man-cave sanctuary in the basement, so it need not be pretty.

+T on the advice.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com