Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphones for work  (Read 3776 times)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Headphones for work
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has some recommendations for headphones at work. Here's the situation: I'd like a pair of headphones to wear during work that won't totally shut me out of the environment. Basically, I'd like to not be distracted by some idle chatter, but hopefully hear someone saying my name. I also don't want the sound to bleed and bother others.

Ear buds are out. I like my ER-6 with custom plugs, but that's too much isolation for me.

I have the Sony MDR-V6 (essentially the same as the 7506). It seemed like they had a touch too much isolation, though I do love the sound. Maybe I was listening too loudly?

How would something like a Grado SR-60 work? My budget would be sub-$100.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:19:06 PM by bgalizio »

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Headphones for work
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:43:57 PM »
The SR-60's bleed a lot because they have an open back, maybe the Koss line (porta pro's or the clip-on ksc75's?).  Check headphone.com for more ideas.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I use some cheap "walkman" headphones... the $10 at walmart kind, but they happen to sound pretty decent.  Not hi-fi, but OK.  I work in the classic Dilbert cubicle village, and I can hear someone say my name or "knock knock" on the metal bookcase.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
As much as I like my V6's, they are just too big for the work environment. Do any of those clip on or neckband headphones have less leak than another? I may end up just going to Target/Best Buy/etc. and picking up something cheap to try.

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »
As much as I like my V6's, they are just too big for the work environment. Do any of those clip on or neckband headphones have less leak than another? I may end up just going to Target/Best Buy/etc. and picking up something cheap to try.

Try the Koss ksc75's, I use them routinely when gaming and listening to music and my wife has never complained to lower them down.  Don't think they leak that much due to their small size.  They sound fantastic too boot. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »
Anyone ever try the Sennheiser PMX 200's? I'm thinking these would be good for this application.

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:30:14 PM »
Anyone ever try the Sennheiser PMX 200's? I'm thinking these would be good for this application.

My wife has the PX200's, their good all around headphones, they don't block out too much and you certainly cannot hear them leak.  Good catch, I totally forgot to mention them.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

My wife has the PX200's, their good all around headphones, they don't block out too much and you certainly cannot hear them leak.  Good catch, I totally forgot to mention them.

Good news! How do they cup around the ears? Comfortable? Seems like these would provide the desired effect, without attracting too much attention (not that this is a stealth job).

Offline George

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »

Good news! How do they cup around the ears? Comfortable? Seems like these would provide the desired effect, without attracting too much attention (not that this is a stealth job).

They sit right on the ears....the earcups are quite small so I can definitely say they are low profile...won't attract much attention.  I would definitely describe them as comfortable. 

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 11:47:30 PM »
 Now I use Sennheiser HD650's at work and in the past used the 600's.  Not in your price range but that's not my point.  They are both over the ear open air headphones.  That way you can hear the music and your boss when they stop by your desk to ask you a question.  The sennheisers I have owned didn't bleed and would not bother someone sitting close by.  I think sennheiser makes a hd560 or something like that.  That may be in your price range and I don't think they need to be amped.  These are big headphones though and that could be a turn off.  It depends on your office environment.  I would rather walk up to someone and see that they have headphones on so I can get their attention.  I sit next to this woman and I can never see her ipod ear buds because of her hair.  I always feel stupid when I can't get her attention.  When people walk up to me they realize I am listening to music and just get my attention.  Good luck on your search.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline RTD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 06:10:12 PM »
hey guys,
i´m gathering infos about some as small as possible headphones for field recordings and music listening. I cannot use in-ears, so any recommendations appreciate.
 8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com