Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Improved PAS technique - better imaging with good clarity  (Read 63559 times)

wlp and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline al w.

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Improved PAS technique - better imaging with good clarity
« Reply #75 on: Today at 11:24:19 AM »
Just popping in to say I love Improved PAS! I've been using it for a while now and just made one of my fave tapes yet with it

hypers, 70°, 29cm

https://archive.org/details/eggy2024-05-04.alw?webamp=default

Thanks Gutbucket

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Improved PAS technique - better imaging with good clarity
« Reply #76 on: Today at 12:17:10 PM »
Interesting topic! Checking in:)
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Thanks for the feedback and good to hear the Improves PAS technique has been working well for those employing it! 

Attached is the latest Improved PAS write up. 

To make Improved PAS as easy as possible to use, it is now presented as a list of setup diagrams arranged by PAS angle, rather than a table of angles and spacings. The other change is that in addition to standard 2-mic Improved PAS, the technique has been extended to 3-position PAS, which is the use of 3 mics with single mic in the center, or 4 if using a coincident X/Y or M/S pair in the center (as the two coincident mics share a single position).  For tapers who are only interested in standard 2-mic PAS, the 3-position stuff can be ignored.  I considered starting a new thread to discuss 3-position PAS, but since its really just a further extension of the PAS technique to mic arrays using 3 or 4 channels, I decided its best to keep everything together in this thread.

The 2-mic PAS portion of the new diagram-based PDF is based on the same data as the older table version, originally using the Sengiepelaudio.com on-line calculator tool.  That means you'll get the same answer if referring to the older Improved PAS table, the new 2-mic PAS diagrams, or the online Sengiepel tool.  The new 3-position PAS diagrams are based on data from the online Schoeps Image Assistant tool, which is capable of handling both 2 and 3 mic-position configurations. 2-channel PAS solutions derived from it are very close to those derived from the Sengiepel tool, but are based on a somewhat more extended data set. In comparison, Image Assistant provides additional information and control options (some of which are a bit hard to find, burred in the menu), yet tends to be less straightforward for most folks to use in comparison to the Sengiepel tool.  Additionally, I used a slightly different way of determining the appropriate offset between the PAS and SRA angles, some details of which are mentioned in the PDF write up.  Happy to discuss that and any other questions about Improved PAS in more detail if anyone is interested.

To skip the introduction and description of what is going and go directly to the diagrams, proceed to page 3 of the PDF for 2-mic Improved PAS, and page 5 for 3-position Improved PAS.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:10:34 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com