Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Location/Field/Spot/Audio recording for TV/Documentary....  (Read 1846 times)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Does anybody around here have any experience with this? I say "this" because I'm not quite sure what the actual title is.  :-\

Here's my situation....

My former boss/chef left to pursue/produce a cooking show. The show has taken on a side project which involves Chef Bob and the director traveling the US (soon to be Europe) with Wynton Marsalis which will result in a 2 hour documentary about Wynton. Basically the side project involves Wynton hooking up huge music names and Chef Bob hooking up huge culinary names while they travel together...

They have a couple nice HD video cameras... I'm trying to figure out what I would need to get into the audio side of things... not just for this project, but for other projects as well.

I have...
-744t 4 channel recorder
-Preamps
-2 x Neumann u89i (probably not ideal)
-2 x Schoeps cmc6, kc5 (I do not own capsules)

Probably need...
-Boom pole
-wireless mics

Anybody?

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: TSKB: Location/Field/Spot/Audio recording for TV/Documentary....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
I would ask over at http://www.gearslutz.com/board/.
Good luck.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
Let us know what you come up with. This is something I have thought about.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
I would think that you will want a couple of lavaliere mics as well as a shotgun with the "zeppelin" type and Rycote brand of windscreen for outdoors. A small diaphram condenser cardioid on a shock mount for indoors. The lav's can pick up dialog and the boom can get room tone as well as spot miked sounds. You should get wireless lavs if your talent will be onscreen in wideshot. You might be able to get away with wired lavs most of the time.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »
feel free to hit me up with a list of stuff you need for your shoot. i have a bunch of ENG-type gear here...shotguns, lavs, portable mixers, etc.
pay for shipping both ways and you can certainly use 'em.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:22:52 PM »
remember redundancy is everything in audio. record the audio at least twice...on the camera and your recorder.

If you don't want to buy boom poles, just use a painters pole
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bigcitysound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
hey baustin

This sounds like an awesome project to be involved with!
I do TV audio and have done cooking shows. This being a doc and probably quite unpredictable, you would need quite alot of gear.

The SD744T is a great place to start.

You'd also want up to 4 sets of wireless mics probably, like Lectrosonics UCR411/UM400 with Lav mics like Sanken COS11's or TRAMS.

Probably a 4 channel mixer to go through as well like the SD 442 to give you flexibility.

The cooking situations are noisy so I would tend to clip lavs on all the players and try and bounce them each to their own track on the 744.

For the music setups, you may want lavs on the players and then a nice stereo pair running as well..  Depending on how complex those setups are you may ofcourse need more mics and more tracks. in which case you could renta SD788 which has 8 pres..

Lastly bear in mind that for editing purposes its almost always necessary to send a rough audio mix to the camera as well with another wireless system.

Then remember to either jam your recorder regularly to the cameras free run timecode or put a Denecke SB-T sync box on the camera (with tri level sync) and then jam that to using your recorder as the master.

Thats the basics of it.. if its all very foreign to you and theres budget for a second sound guy gimme a call! ;D
Documentaries are my thang!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com