Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What pair of mics should I look at in the $1000 to $1200 range?  (Read 15133 times)

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
What pair of mics should I look at in the $1000 to $1200 range?
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:51:09 AM »
I know these threads get kind of tired. I also know listening to recordings on the Live Music Archive is the best to chose mics that you like but I honestly have no idea of pricing on higher end mics. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thinking AKG, Microtech Gefell, Neumann, MBHO etc. I'll probably stay away from LSD mics from now. TIA!
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: What pair of mics should I look at in the $1000 to $1200 range?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »
Full bodies, you might get a set of used AKGs with one set of caps, a set of beyerdynamic mc930s, or a set of mbhos. The gefells, dpas and the rest are way more then that. B&H and Fullcompass are nice for general daydreaming and pricing.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I used Neumann KM184s for almost a year and liked them quite a bit.  They can be had for maybe as low as $800 used ($900 is more likely) in the YS.  Some 140s have sold on YS recently for as low as $1200 if I recall correctly, but without the "active" cables.  Gefells and Milabs might go for more, I would check old YS threads to get an idea of how much they go for used.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:16 AM »
Agree with everyone elses suggestions, but I'd add that you should buy used instead of new.  You get better value used and this price point is the point at which, IMHO, mics are going from being good to great sounding, so the incremental increase in quality you get when you buy used is worth it over what you give up buying new.  Yeah, you get a warranty with new gear, but I have the philosophy that used gear is broken in which, for electronics, is a good warranty too.  Just make sure you buy from someone that's sold in the YS before because they can be trusted.

Specifically answering your question, here's my list...

$1000 or so
Neumann km184
Neumann km140 (w/o active cables)
AKG-480 with one set of capsules
JWMod AKG-460 with one set of capsules
AKG-460 with two sets of capsules
MBHO-603a active series (with active cables) with one set of capsules
Josephson C42

$700 or so
beyerdynamic MC930
Peluso CEMC Series
AKG-460 with one set of capsules
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:12:44 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »
Obviously I would recomend AKGs ;D.  I could hook you up with a set of 460 bodies, omnis and cards w/ active cables in that price range.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
^^ ...and THAT would be a combo that would be hard to beat for that money.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »

$1000 or so
Neumann km184
Josephson C42

$700 or so
beyerdynamic MC930
Peluso CEMC Series

that's a pretty good list.  You could also get a new pair of Beyerdynamic CK930 mics for the ~$1000 range.  Same sweet sound as MC930 full body version, but with the CK930's, you get an "active" cable between the mic capsule and the mic body (really just a remote extension cable, though).

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »

$1000 or so
Neumann km184
Josephson C42

$700 or so
beyerdynamic MC930
Peluso CEMC Series

that's a pretty good list.  You could also get a new pair of Beyerdynamic CK930 mics for the ~$1000 range.  Same sweet sound as MC930 full body version, but with the CK930's, you get an "active" cable between the mic capsule and the mic body (really just a remote extension cable, though).
:coolguy:
I second this if you want to go new but I also agree the used market gives you a lot a bang for your $$$
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »

$1000 or so
Neumann km184
Josephson C42

$700 or so
beyerdynamic MC930
Peluso CEMC Series

I second this if you want to go new but I also agree the used market gives you a lot a bang for your $$$

If you can find the ck930s that low, I'd like to know. I had to haggle some to get $1400 shipped for mine (new). I keep forgetting about the 184s for some reason.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
I second the used suggestion...there is much great gear to be had on this forum, and let some one else take the hit on depreciation.  Full bodies, KM184's sound great.  If you like actives, save your sheckles and go for the 140's.  I don't care for the AKG 460's myself.

I would also suggest holding out until the day after Thanksgiving, as that is when everyone is wanting cash for the holidays and will post their gear.

Josh

Agree with everyone elses suggestions, but I'd add that you should buy used instead of new.  You get better value used and this price point is the point at which, IMHO, mics are going from being good to great sounding, so the incremental increase in quality you get when you buy used is worth it over what you give up buying new.  Yeah, you get a warranty with new gear, but I have the philosophy that used gear is broken in which, for electronics, is a good warranty too.  Just make sure you buy from someone that's sold in the YS before because they can be trusted.

$1000 or so
Neumann km184
Josephson C42

$700 or so
beyerdynamic MC930
Peluso CEMC Series
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Please keep them coming if you'd like. Definitely A LOT to mull over. Thank you! For sure going to look at the used market...

Edit: tgakidis, I'm going to listen to some 460 tapes.  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:55:27 PM by empty »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »

If you can find the ck930s that low, I'd like to know. I had to haggle some to get $1400 shipped for mine (new). I keep forgetting about the 184s for some reason.

back in March, when I spoke with Full Compass and bought my pair, they told me that they typically sell the CK 930 for $560 per mic or $1120 for a pair (see this post: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=115606.msg1579857#msg1579857).  To be honest, I no idea if prices have gone up since then, as I haven't checked in with Full Compass since March.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »
Obviously I would recomend AKGs ;D.  I could hook you up with a set of 460 bodies, omnis and cards w/ active cables in that price range.

WINNER!  ;D >:D 8)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
As usual, I'll have to throw in my recommendation of the Milab VM44's, which are awesome mics.

You might be able to find them used in this price range, but used will be very, very hard to come by.  Unfortunately, Milabs just had a big price increase.  Still, you can get a pair of the VM44-link which are the active cable version new for about $1500.  The non-active version would be a bit less.

Both TNJazz here as well as rokpunk are dealers for Milabs.  If you check with our local boys and go for the non-active VM44 version, you might be able to pick up a new set for $1200-1300.

I've owned and ran small diameter mics from Neumann (km184 and km140/150), AKG (481/482/483, AKG 461/463, the jklabs box/active version of ck61/ck62/ck63, and blueline 391/392/393), MBHO (603a with omni, card, and hyper caps), and Gefell (m200, m210) and like the Milabs quite noticeably more than all the others save the Gefells.  Gefells and milabs are a tossup to me, I like them both, and both provide a different sonic signature.

And yes, don't forget about listening on the Archive, since different people prefer different mics.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »

WINNER!  ;D >:D 8)
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »
Microtech Gefells will be way outside of your price range and they rarely are put up for sale.  I think that they are now around $2500 for a pair if you buy new.  Maybe you could find a used pair of Gefell M300 cardioid mics in your price range.  They are fantastic mics, but you are limited to only using cardioid capsules with them.  They would definitely be my choice for your budget, but they are difficult to find used.

If you are looking for something that may be easier to find, I would go for a pair of used Jim Williams modified 460s.  I'm really not a big fan of MBHOs, Josephesons, or Neumanns and haven't heard enough Beyerdynamic or Milab recordings to comment on them.  The MBHOs sound harsh with a lacking low end to me and Neumanns just sound like mud.

Keep in mind that if you buy anything new, you will be heavily punished by the Euro to Dollar exchange rate.  You will be able to get much more for your dollar if you scan the Yard Sale or the used gear listings at a forum like Gearslutz, especially when the dollar to Euro is currently at E1 = $1.50.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline skaggs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
At the risk of offending the MBHO crowd, that was my first pair of mics, and the active cables were not up to par.  when tapped by anything they would spike some sort of wierd noise on the recording.  I had to send them back to Germany, which took months.  I ended up buying Schoeps before they became unaffordable to me, so i guess that was a plus, but it took me forever to figure out what caused the noise.  I replaced all my cables trying to figure it out. 

If you go AKG get the omnis and hypers, the cards well.......

Richard

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 10:04:09 PM »
If I was you I'd byte the bullet and buy:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=129221.0

;D

About the cheapest you can get into an active pair of Schoeps.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
If I was you I'd byte the bullet and buy:

That only blows his stated budget by, oh...2-2.5x.  Doh!

Gefell M300s...mmmm, nice...but good luck finding a pair used.  I don't particularly care for the AKG 480 or 460 or modded 460 sound.  MBHOs are okay, but don't do anything special for me.  Plenty of people rave about the Beyerdynamic 930s, but my ears just don't like 'em at all...much too dark for my tastes.  Of all the mics mentioned, I probably like the Milab's best, followed by the KM184/140s.  Lots of personal preference in play here, obviously, as these are all quite good mics.

You might consider first deciding if you want the option for multiple, switchable caps.  If so, that whittles the list down substantially, with the Peluso's and AKG 460s offering the best bang for buck.  (Both would allow you to get at least 2 pairs of caps, maybe even 3, within your budget.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline setboy

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 10:59:05 PM »

this!

Offline sparkey

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
I had a pair of M300's and they are nice microphones....pretty dark sounding, a fair amount of low end and my best tapes were made FOB on very bright PA's.

My vote is still for the KM184's, you should be able to pick up a pair for about $800.

Josh

Microtech Gefells will be way outside of your price range and they rarely are put up for sale.  I think that they are now around $2500 for a pair if you buy new.  Maybe you could find a used pair of Gefell M300 cardioid mics in your price range.  They are fantastic mics, but you are limited to only using cardioid capsules with them.  They would definitely be my choice for your budget, but they are difficult to find used.

If you are looking for something that may be easier to find, I would go for a pair of used Jim Williams modified 460s.  I'm really not a big fan of MBHOs, Josephesons, or Neumanns and haven't heard enough Beyerdynamic or Milab recordings to comment on them.  The MBHOs sound harsh with a lacking low end to me and Neumanns just sound like mud.

Keep in mind that if you buy anything new, you will be heavily punished by the Euro to Dollar exchange rate.  You will be able to get much more for your dollar if you scan the Yard Sale or the used gear listings at a forum like Gearslutz, especially when the dollar to Euro is currently at E1 = $1.50.

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 10:30:03 AM »
Thank you everyone. Besides an occasionally peak I've stayed out of the Yardsale basically all year for various reasons but now that I have the bug to upgrade mics I'll be scanning it hardcore.

Offline DeepCreatures

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »
i will toss in my love of the AKG 480s - have got many great recording with these mics since i got them.
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline sparkey

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
Agreed, they sound much better than the 460's and don't break the bank if you want interchangeable capsules (hint: hypercards for club recording).

i will toss in my love of the AKG 480s - have got many great recording with these mics since i got them.

jnorman34

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
i have owned pairs of DPA 4011s, schoeps cmc64s, gefell m300s, akg c481s and 461s, km184s, at4041s and at4051s, beyer mc930s, rode nt5s, akg c391s, and a variety of other SDCs over the years.  i do chamber music recording, which belies every fault in mic response, but my opinions on mics may not be exactly fair to those who do concert recording who may desire different mic characteristics than those which suit my type of work, so take that into consideration.

of the mics i have owned, the DPA 4011s were the most accurate and transparent of the bunch, but through thorough testing, i found the AKG C481 to be an almost exact sonic match to the 4011, and i was able to use them interchangeably during studio sessions doing overdubs - virtually indistinguishable.  so, while i loved the 4011s, the price differential, in the end, made me sell the dpa's and keep the 481s.

the schoeps CMC64s made a fairly nice ORTF pair at medium distance, but were a tad boomy to me as spot mics on acoustic instruments - they were pretty flat which worked well for some instruments which benefit from a flattish high-end, such as winds and strings - but they were rather underwhelming on grand piano, acoustic guitar, and pedal harp.  i sold these mics to purchase the dpa 4011s mentioned above.

gefell m300s (i got my pair used for $600 - ha!) were very close to km184s in many ways, but exhibited a bit more mid-low response - again, somewhat beneficial to some instruments but tending toward the boomy on others - overall pretty good mics, but way overpriced in the current market, IMO. 

my experiences with km184s has been up and down - i have owend 4 pairs of 184s over the past 10 years.  the first 3 pairs, i bought brand new, and each time, i wound up selling them off in favor of other mics due to a certain edginess in the 184s top end response.  last year, though, i picked an older used pair of 184s, perhaps 10 years old, and they have become my mics of choice for my main ORTF pair - they are wonderfully musical and for some reason, this pair just sounds perfect on almost anything - i cant really explain why this pair has excited me in a way the previous 3 pairs did not.

the other pair of main mics i use is the AT4051s - a huge open sound that is flattering on almost any instrument.  i did a commercial CD for a local pianist on her 7'4" bosendorfer grand piano, where i shot out pairs of DPA 4011s, DPA 4006s, and the AT4051s.  i had originally thought the 4006s would easliy win, or at least a blend of 2 pairs of the mics, but inthe end, both the pianist and i agreed that the pair of AT4051s were the best choice and those were the mics used on the CD.  the mastering engineer told me it was one of the best piano recordings he had heard in years.

i owned some mc930s for just a short period for testing.  i did a shootout between the 930s, km184s, and at4051s on a flute and piano duo.  the 930s came in 3rd from a variety of professional listeners - not bad mics at all, but not quite as pleasant as the other two choices in that testing.  (clips are posted over in GS forums, if you want to hear them - do a search for "comparative samples").

so, there ya go - IMHO, the best mics in the price range you mention are the KM184s and the AT4051s. 

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
i have owned pairs of DPA 4011s, schoeps cmc64s, gefell m300s, akg c481s and 461s, km184s, at4041s and at4051s, beyer mc930s, rode nt5s, akg c391s, and a variety of other SDCs over the years.  i do chamber music recording, which belies every fault in mic response, but my opinions on mics may not be exactly fair to those who do concert recording who may desire different mic characteristics than those which suit my type of work, so take that into consideration.

of the mics i have owned, the DPA 4011s were the most accurate and transparent of the bunch, but through thorough testing, i found the AKG C481 to be an almost exact sonic match to the 4011, and i was able to use them interchangeably during studio sessions doing overdubs - virtually indistinguishable.  so, while i loved the 4011s, the price differential, in the end, made me sell the dpa's and keep the 481s.

the schoeps CMC64s made a fairly nice ORTF pair at medium distance, but were a tad boomy to me as spot mics on acoustic instruments - they were pretty flat which worked well for some instruments which benefit from a flattish high-end, such as winds and strings - but they were rather underwhelming on grand piano, acoustic guitar, and pedal harp.  i sold these mics to purchase the dpa 4011s mentioned above.

gefell m300s (i got my pair used for $600 - ha!) were very close to km184s in many ways, but exhibited a bit more mid-low response - again, somewhat beneficial to some instruments but tending toward the boomy on others - overall pretty good mics, but way overpriced in the current market, IMO. 

my experiences with km184s has been up and down - i have owend 4 pairs of 184s over the past 10 years.  the first 3 pairs, i bought brand new, and each time, i wound up selling them off in favor of other mics due to a certain edginess in the 184s top end response.  last year, though, i picked an older used pair of 184s, perhaps 10 years old, and they have become my mics of choice for my main ORTF pair - they are wonderfully musical and for some reason, this pair just sounds perfect on almost anything - i cant really explain why this pair has excited me in a way the previous 3 pairs did not.

the other pair of main mics i use is the AT4051s - a huge open sound that is flattering on almost any instrument.  i did a commercial CD for a local pianist on her 7'4" bosendorfer grand piano, where i shot out pairs of DPA 4011s, DPA 4006s, and the AT4051s.  i had originally thought the 4006s would easliy win, or at least a blend of 2 pairs of the mics, but inthe end, both the pianist and i agreed that the pair of AT4051s were the best choice and those were the mics used on the CD.  the mastering engineer told me it was one of the best piano recordings he had heard in years.

i owned some mc930s for just a short period for testing.  i did a shootout between the 930s, km184s, and at4051s on a flute and piano duo.  the 930s came in 3rd from a variety of professional listeners - not bad mics at all, but not quite as pleasant as the other two choices in that testing.  (clips are posted over in GS forums, if you want to hear them - do a search for "comparative samples").

so, there ya go - IMHO, the best mics in the price range you mention are the KM184s and the AT4051s.
Very nice descriptions.  Thanks for that.

I'm intrigued when you say some mics have "boominess", even when recorded up close.

I find it interesting that when we hear recordings, eg., of a electric-acoustic setup in a nice room, that we can ascribe different imperfections in the *recording* (ie., the mics) to either the room or the PA!

I've got many recordings I've made in a small local club (see "jane bond" at http://Soundmann.com) over the years.  Various performers, different mics and patterns, and different positions in the room, but you can really hear the difference.  Some recordings sound "boomy" while other recordings the PA sounds distorted, etc.  I think a lot more of this sound is due to the mics themselves, and yet we tend "explain it" by the room or the PA sound.

If I was serious about this hobby I would try to run a set of "neutral" mics, like the DPA406x to get the "real" room sound.  I would compare the main mics (Beyerdynamic or whatever) to the DPA to get an idea of whatever "color" the mics were adding to the sound.  But alas, I'm too busy with other stuff, like hanging out and drinking beer, lol.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
Agreed, they sound much better than the JW460's and don't break the bank if you want interchangeable capsules (hint: hypercards for club recording).

Fixed that for you. Having owned a pair of 460s now for 15 years, and the ability to make direct comparisons between stock 460s and 480s from almost every show I record, I can assure you that there is no quality difference in sonic clarity or performance between the 460s and 480s.

The primary difference in defacto sound (not paper specs) is the 480s are more transparent in tone than the 460s, because they lack having transformers. 480s are simply not as warm sounding as 460s, and being an old taper that prefers a vintage sound as close to analog as possible, I find the 460s meet this need perfectly.

I know other AKG tapers that prefer a more transparent tone, and therefore are running 480s. Even with this difference in tone, I have been able to swap sources on playback between 460s and 480s and was hard pressed to tell the difference.

You do need to be very careful if you seek to get a pair of used 460s. You can find used 460s all over the place, but few of these were used for field or studio recording, where the mics are babied while in use and packed away safely the rest of the time.

Most used 460s on the open market were either ENG mics, or live sound stage mics that have been used and abused for years. Shock, dust, moisture/spit, name your poison. I expect these beat up 460s don't sound as good as a pair that was well cared for by a taper, and could also be almost 20 years old by now.

If I was going to buy used, I would go for 480s from an established taper here that bought them new. This way, you know the mics could not be more than 10 years old, and were taken good care of.

Good luck.

(PS: My vote goes to Milab after AKG)

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
I ran KM184's for a good while, and loved them. I was actually toying with the idea of trading my Gefells for a set, plus some cash (the madness soon passed).

They're fixed cards, but very versatile and handle the rock shows quite well.

Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline sparkey

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
and there ya go

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=129254.0;topicseen

I ran KM184's for a good while, and loved them. I was actually toying with the idea of trading my Gefells for a set, plus some cash (the madness soon passed).

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »

No way, Dogg.

I will die with my MG's. I'm done buying mics.

;)

and there ya go

Coffee is for Closers

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 08:18:38 PM »
A new pair of Milab VM-44's are hard to beat in that sorta price range and they sound great.  Full Compass has a 6 month, no interest, "credit" special going at various times which may be worth checking in to.  Basically you get a Full Compass credit card that is in your best interest to pay off before the 6 month promo expires.

I absolutely DO NOT like the Milab VM-44 Link shock mounting option and have considered adding a pair of VM-44 Classic (full bodies) to the arsenal, especially if a hyper cap becomes available for these.

Also, there may be a VM-44 Link "stereo bar" option available in the future...  Which would eliminate the Milab "spear" shock mounts for the 44-links.    That would make me very happy.

And a nice used pair of Gefell M20, M21, M27 for 1400-1500 would be sorta close to the price range that you mention too. 

Dirk also had a demo pair of Nevaton MK49's for around 1600 recently as well...  Nice mics!!

;)

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 11:38:17 PM »
Interesting you don't like the vm44-link mounting system. I actually like it quite a bit. I've found it easy to put the mounts on a short delrin bar to create a mount very much like a kwonbar for easy mounting in a single shockmount.

Unlike a kwonbar though, the swiveling of the milab mount spears allows me to easily change the angle between the mics to something other than 90 degrees if I want.

Also, the mounting spear together with the rubber mounting grommets provide a good amount of vibration isolation if you run the mics without a shockmount.

Different preferences I guess....
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:41 AM »
Interesting you don't like the vm44-link mounting system. I actually like it quite a bit. I've found it easy to put the mounts on a short delrin bar to create a mount very much like a kwonbar for easy mounting in a single shockmount.

Unlike a kwonbar though, the swiveling of the milab mount spears allows me to easily change the angle between the mics to something other than 90 degrees if I want.

Also, the mounting spear together with the rubber mounting grommets provide a good amount of vibration isolation if you run the mics without a shockmount.

I detest the VM-44 Link mounting system.   ;D ;D

I too put the mounts on a short delrin bar to create a mount very much like a kwonbar for easy mounting in a single shockmount.

It is the "spearing" of the mic process that I find totally "bush league engineering" on Milab's part.  C'mon, having to "jam" an expensive pair of mic capsules into a metal forked arrangement just to hold them steady.  Extremely poor design in my opinion.  I would prefer a less "damage threatening", passive mounting approach on Milab's part.  I do love the Milab VM44 sound though and I will continue my search for someone to fabricate a stereo bar for them.

;D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:56:13 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline sparkey

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 07:52:43 AM »
Ummm....I was actually suggesting them for the guy looking for mics :-)

No way, Dogg.

;)

and there ya go

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »
Well, thank goodness for that. You had quoted me, so I thought you were trying to nudge me in the "wrong" direction.

But, whatever. Get some KM184's and be done with it, John. That way, I can borrow them  >:D

No way, Dogg.

;)

and there ya go

Coffee is for Closers

Offline sparkey

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
There was no mention of a UA5 in my post (was that my out loud voice?)

Well, thank goodness for that. You had quoted me, so I thought you were trying to nudge me in the "wrong" direction.

No way, Dogg.

;)

and there ya go

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »

Huh?

I don't own a UA5.

/confused face

No way, Dogg.

;)

and there ya go

Coffee is for Closers

Offline sparkey

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
I was poking fun at the UA5.  You're no fun to tell jokes to.

Huh?

I don't own a UA5.

/confused face

No way, Dogg.

;)

and there ya go

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
I'm in the middle of law school. They suck the humor out of us when we come through the door on our first day.

I was poking fun at the UA5.  You're no fun to tell jokes to.

Huh?

I don't own a UA5.

/confused face

No way, Dogg.

;)

and there ya go

Coffee is for Closers

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
I'm in the middle of law school. They suck the humor out of us when we come through the door on our first day.

Well then TB, yer halfway back to having a sense of humor again.....   :D
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
Well then TB, yer halfway back to having a sense of humor again.....   :D

That would be cool, except for the fact that they also extract all glass-half-full proclivities after the first semester.

It's a heavy price to pay to defend truth, justice and the almighty dollar American way.
Coffee is for Closers

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »
I would 2nd or 3rd the
recommendation for the Milab VM-44-links
thanx to ToddR's comp between the KM 140's and the VM-44's
I chose the VM-44's
I have always thought the KM140's were my favorite sounding mic
however I think they are much more pricey
and the VM44 (to my ears) sound more natural flat and overall well balanced  including a nice thick well defined lowend

now that there is a US distribution center- FDW W - I hope we will find them more easily accessible.

that's my 2¢

peace
--Ian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:16:59 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »
It's a heavy price to pay to defend truth, justice and the almighty dollar American way.

Oh, is that what lawyers do...

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »

I detest the VM-44 Link mounting system.   ;D ;D

I too put the mounts on a short delrin bar to create a mount very much like a kwonbar for easy mounting in a single shockmount.

It is the "spearing" of the mic process that I find totally "bush league engineering" on Milab's part.  C'mon, having to "jam" an expensive pair of mic capsules into a metal forked arrangement just to hold them steady.  Extremely poor design in my opinion.  I would prefer a less "damage threatening", passive mounting approach on Milab's part.  I do love the Milab VM44 sound though and I will continue my search for someone to fabricate a stereo bar for them.

;D

I know that dactylus   detests the mounting system
however
I disagree
while it can be awkward, I think it's a unique piece of engineering. - you may have seen my  DIY ORTF / DINa bar that I made and use  with a single shock  like a kwon bar too.

I have found the mics capsules very easily mount into the u-shaped mounts by aligning them a giving the capsule a simple twist into the U. it's quick easy and secure. no problems here.  :)

I am also expecting a second set of clip/mounts so whan I finally get some omni caps I can easily run spaced omnis onstage without disassembling my ORTF /DINa bar.

[while I have not done this I did think about: placing a small drop of silicone oil (or armor-all) onto the rubber grommet on the capsule - to ease the sliding of the rubber onto the metal U mount.  remember kidz- it it doesn't fit in easily a little bit of lube can make it slide right in!  ;)  ]

peace
--Ian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:31:59 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »
YS posting reminded me:  I'd also consider Audio Technica 40xxb (49b = omni, 51b = cardioid, 53b = hypercardioid).  For your budget, you could get a pair of bodies & caps used + an extra set of caps new.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 08:42:05 PM »
AKG 480's w/ either ck61 (cards) or ck63 (hypers).  Average price used is $950.00

Following up on Mr. Skalinder's post:  AT4053 (hypers) in the Yard Sale for $500.  Very underrated condensers.  For the price, you can't beat the quality.

Just my 2 cents.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.589 seconds with 72 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com