Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Probably painfully obvious if you use two different patterns on the 414s?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
Did some searching and could not find a thread on this topic although I'm sure it's been discussed.

Tuesday night I recorded two bands (last band had two sets) using what I thought was the Cards setting. I never lowered my stand.

Wednesday night I go to record a band and notice that one 414 is set to Card and the other is over on the Figure 8 setting. This got me worried so when I got home at 1am I checked the three WAV files from Tuesday night. The left & right channels seemed to match up appropriately and the overall recording seemed pretty balanced. I'm assuming that if one of the channels were recorded set at Figure 8 that it would stick out like a sore thumb? The recordings seem fine on cursory listens/views  in Sound Forge. I'd post samples but I'm at work.

TIA for any input!

Edit: I'm thinking/hoping that I just accidentally bumped the one 414 over to Figure 8 when I was breaking down Tuesday night...
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
but seriously...
if you checked your file and it appeared alright you should be fine
you probably did bump the switch at some point after recording
because the switches will NOT change after the 414s have their power cut
lesson learned... always check your switches

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
Thanks darby. Yeah I've had them since 01/30 and have been pretty good about checking them but it's a great reminder.
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
Monitor each channel in mono and see i they sound drastically different.  The possible figure 8 channel will have a reduced low frequency reproduction, and will most likely sound distant and "phasey." 

It's an honest mistake, we've all done it, and it's not the strangest error that could have happened.   ;)  If only you had your mics positioned differently, you could have made a quasi M/S mix of the show. 
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
Monitor each channel in mono and see i they sound drastically different.  The possible figure 8 channel will have a reduced low frequency reproduction, and will most likely sound distant and "phasey." 

I'd agree with the reduced low frequency content, but I'm not sure it should sound distant and "phasey".  That describes what the side channel of M/S can sound like, but I think that's because it's got its null pointed at the sound source in M/S.  With a fig-8 mic aimed as if it were a cardioid, it should have its positive lobe pointed more or less at the sound source, and so I expect it would sound as up front if not moreso than the matching cardioid.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com