Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamping with LD mics?  (Read 2381 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Clamping with LD mics?
« on: February 06, 2004, 10:54:27 PM »
I've got a question for all of ya.   I've only clamped my LD mics once before to someones stand.   Do people generally not mind somone clamping if they have LD mics?   Anyone running TLs or similar ever have problems clamping to somone?

Just curious what the etiquitte might be?   I wouldn't hesitate with SD mics but the larger size/weight makes me wonder.

Thanks!
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Brian

Re:Clamping with LD mics?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 01:30:30 AM »
i haven't had to clamp with my TL's yet, however with LD mics you might have to suffer some height and clamp lower on the stand. i guess i would never run xy if i clamped.  I've seen pics on this site of Tim's U89's clamped to a stand in the rig pics forum. i'm sure if the situation called for it you could find somebody willing to let you clamp. i know i would let you :)

Brian    

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 11:09:29 AM »
I think most people are fine with one pair of LD's being clamped, but more than that is pushing it. I don't usually clamp, because I use a big enough stand to calmp everybody if need be.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 11:24:35 AM »
i've clamped the u89's with that cheapo $16 clamp a bunch of times...i probably wouldn't clamp them to the really small bogen fob stand (3373 i think)...most stands though, it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 03:38:32 PM »
I clamp using the clamp available on sonic sense's website. I don't even own a full size stand, just an fob stand. For any show where I will need to go higher I just bring a clamp.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I am a real American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 09:12:28 PM »
i would say one pair of LDs a stand.  I personally woudn't have a problem if someone clamped to my stand.

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 01:35:26 AM »
one pair of LD's and numerous SD's would be cool on most stands

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 02:14:52 AM »
i let craig t clamp his tl's to my 13' bogen at a recent galactic show, with my small diaphram akg 391's on top and the tl's clamped a little lower.

the stand seemed to "lean" a little forward at the tippie-top, but it turned out ok. used some extra duct tape to the floor just in case.

if i had it to do over again, i would put the tl's/large diaphrams on the top, and clamp the 391's/small diaphrams

i could see where lowering the height of the stand would increase stability, also.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 02:15:54 AM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com