Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor recording - Card or Omnia caps?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline roxia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Outdoor recording - Card or Omnia caps?
« on: July 10, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
For outdoor concerts.

Do you use omni och card caps?
I have Church CA14 myself.

I will record my first outdoor concert next friday. That's why I'm asking.

If I don't remember wrong... omni is the way to go?
It's a rock concert. Pretty big stage.

Best to stand in front of sdb?
Video: Canon HF100
Audio: Edirol R-09HR / ST9100 / CA14

Taped shows:
5 audio / 2 video

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Outdoor recording - Card or Omni caps?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »
Omni's all the way............especially if your close..........cards maybe if your further back.......

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Outdoor recording - Card or Omnia caps?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
If those are the only two caps i can pick. I would go with the omni's if i was close and cards if i was back far.

Offline roxia

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »
If I'm in front of the soundboard on a pretty big stage. Should I go with omni then? Or is that to far back.
Video: Canon HF100
Audio: Edirol R-09HR / ST9100 / CA14

Taped shows:
5 audio / 2 video

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »
If I'm in front of the soundboard on a pretty big stage. Should I go with omni then? Or is that to far back.

It depends on where they have placed the soundboard...............

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
I think we should make this question a sticky at some point...  >:D

To answer the OP, there are two things that you should be concerned with when recording outdoors - 1) Distance to the stage or soundboard and 2) Wind.

Starting with #2.  If it's windy where you're recording, you could use your CARDs with Dead Rats (Chris sells these for $30 + shipping ATM).  If it's not an open situation, they might be "too noticeable" for the event, and this leaves you with the option of OMNIs (and no Dead Rats).

#1 - everybody's been answering this one already.  It depends if you're close to the speakers stacks - then it's OMNIs all the way.   Figuring the soundboard is, say, 200 ft from the stage (usually where it is in an Arena or Amphitheatre), then my rule of thumb is cards if you're anywhere from 2/3's to FOB.  Again, this is subject to personal taste.  And again, if it's windy, see what I just said above.

Enjoy your show...

Offline huskerbrewdad

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Glowstick Warrior Armory
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:40:13 PM »
Only thing with the omni is to make sure you get them up as high as you can.(same with cards I spose)

I did my first show with my CA14 omnis clipped to my bag on the chair next to me(there were like 50 people at the show so I thought it would be open enough) and crowd noise was as loud as the band at times. 

They pick up the conversation next to you far better than your own ears do!

adrianf74

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »
Only thing with the omni is to make sure you get them up as high as you can.(same with cards I spose)

I did my first show with my CA14 omnis clipped to my bag on the chair next to me(there were like 50 people at the show so I thought it would be open enough) and crowd noise was as loud as the band at times. 

They pick up the conversation next to you far better than your own ears do!

Correct.. with omnis, they pick up all sounds from all directions (hence OMNIdirectional) and it's always best to run them as high as you can.  The mics clipped to your bag would be too low.  Depending on how "open" the taping can be, I often either run croakies/tape my CAFS to my glasses.  Or if I'm using a larger mic (my old mics were AT-933's), I clip them to the side of my ball cap and face the elements forward.

Offline huskerbrewdad

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Glowstick Warrior Armory
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »
Yeah, I just thought it was worth noting.  I was in a sparse area of seats and thought, to my ears, that any conversation was well drowned out by the band.  Then listening to the recording those little conversations were clear as day and just as loud as the band.

adrianf74

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
Yeah, I just thought it was worth noting.  I was in a sparse area of seats and thought, to my ears, that any conversation was well drowned out by the band.  Then listening to the recording those little conversations were clear as day and just as loud as the band.
Omnis are kinda nasty that way... depending on how far back you are, etc., the talkers can kill the recording from that low.  With cards pointing forward, you might have had better (or worse) results depending. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com