Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Darktrain retiring??  (Read 11552 times)

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Darktrain retiring??
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
Quote from: Darktrain
Well its been almost 2 years and nearly nonstop cable making. I would like to thank everyone for there support. I just find that it is taking away time from the family which initially it wasn't, especially the 2 girls I have who are 3 and 7 and are requiring more of me everyday, when I said to the oldest i was thining of giving up making cables for now, she said...Yehhhh. Thats all i needed to hear. So for now i am hanging up the iron, i still have a couple pending order to finish and a few cables i had made to put in the YS but thats it for the near future.

Robb, I really think you're taking the wrong approach to the problem -- 7 is the perfect age to learn how to use a soldering iron!

Seriously, as a father of three myself I certainly respect your decision but many of us around here are sure gonna miss your exemplary service and craftsmanship.  The three pair of cables and interconnects you made me have all performed flawlessly under some pretty rugged conditions.  Thanks, and enjoy your family time!
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Darktrain retiring??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
Robb's work was exemplarary and he got the cables to you fast. I have 3 of them and all are marvels of craftsmanship. I know there are a number of other cable makers to choose from, but I would highly recommend tgakidis for your next custom cable.

His work is also exemplary and like Robb his communication and turnaround time is excellent as well.  Contact Ted and you're going to hear from him within 24 hours and usually much less.

If you were happy with Robb, I'm sure you'll be happy with Ted.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:49:13 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
Agreed ^^
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
When they go to college, you'll be back in the game to help pay the bills.  ;D
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
Thank you Robb!  Glad I was able to get in one more cable order from you.  The 12' stubby XLR cables were perfect!  All the best. 

That said, are giving up taping too?   :o

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:38 PM »

Maybe ;D , not planning on hanging the mics up though, still going to catch my one or two a month, those are precious days when for a few hours i can "escape"

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »

Maybe ;D , not planning on hanging the mics up though, still going to catch my one or two a month, those are precious days when for a few hours i can "escape"

That's almost more then I tape anymore.  :P

I'll generally agree with everything else in the thread, I've had great experiences, you'll be missed, use your indentured labor while you can, yadda yadda yadda.  ;D

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:38 PM »
to emphasize the point made earlier .... 7 is a great age to learn proper usage of a soldering iron. while you're tending to cables, she can be right along side of you creating some splendid stained glass masterpieces ... 'schoeps' logo for daddy-o ......

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »
The others are mostly useless.  I can get my oldest daughter to help with inventory sometimes . . . you'd think she'd be good at soldering, but they complain quite a lot when they burn themselves  :'(

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »
My 8 year old daughter rolls her eyes when I enter the dungeon of GAK enterprises.  Although she does have here own little section of scrap wires, heatshrink and aluminum stilt/omni bar scraps.

Thanks to Robb for the inspiration and guidence he has given me in my cable work.  We have shared knowledge and techiniques with each other knowing that it is for the common good of the community.

Now that your out of the cable game I expect to see you switching your gear up more then usual.  I can also refer you to a cable maker if you need any cable work done....
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
My 8 year old daughter rolls her eyes when I enter the dungeon of GAK enterprises.  Although she does have here own little section of scrap wires, heatshrink and aluminum stilt/omni bar scraps.

Thanks to Robb for the inspiration and guidence he has given me in my cable work.  We have shared knowledge and techiniques with each other knowing that it is for the common good of the community.

Now that your out of the cable game I expect to see you switching your gear up more then usual.  I can also refer you to a cable maker if you need any cable work done....

Ted, I think it's because of the way you do it. Seeing you shout, "To the GAK-cave!", then slide down a fireman's pole and then reappear in a costume and cape is disturbing to a girl of her age.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »

No gear switches, can't afford it now ;D and i will make a special cable from time to time if begged enough but since you have pretty much most of my supplies that would be very limited.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »
Best of luck Robb, I totally understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the exceptional efforts you have made for us.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »
Ted, I think it's because of the way you do it. Seeing you shout, "To the GAK-cave!", then slide down a fireman's pole and then reappear in a costume and cape is disturbing to a girl of her age.  ;D

this quote has legs.  :D

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 01:49:45 PM »
The others are mostly useless.  I can get my oldest daughter to help with inventory sometimes . . . you'd think she'd be good at soldering, but they complain quite a lot when they burn themselves  :'(

lmao

thanks robb for helping me with cables
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com