Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can I play laptop flac files through my home stereo  (Read 2531 times)

Offline ajg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Bumbles Blog
Can I play laptop flac files through my home stereo
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »
I was sitting around listening to a cd i made and wondered if I could play directly from my winamp media player on my laptop into my receiver.  I have so many shows downloaded that I don't even listen to most of them.  It would make things easier if I could do this.

I have a Pioneer VSX-517 that my hdtv sound and dvd player go through.  I suppose I could dig out my receiver manual but I though would get a better, more concise answer here.

Thanks for any help.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Can I play laptop flac files through my home stereo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
The simplest way I can think of is to simply get an 1/8" patch cable, plug it into your laptop earphone or line out and then to your receiver, depending on the inputs on your receiver you might need to go 1/8" to RCA or whatever it accepts. If your laptop has a digital out(S/PDIF or Optical), and the receiver has a digital in, that would be more optimal. Hopefully this helps some.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Can I play laptop flac files through my home stereo
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »
I use an Apple Airport Express connected to my receiver via optical cable.  I stream from any application to the Airport via AirFoil.  https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

This way I get uncompressed audio to my receiver from any app, and the computer can be anywhere on my network.

keytohwy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com