Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone used Panasonic TZ40-ZS30 yet?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline markolexus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Anyone used Panasonic TZ40-ZS30 yet?
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
Hi folk,
Have just taped a classical concert using Sony M10 for audio and Panasonic SD900 for video.   Those are fine.  The Panasonic's audio is to my ear somewhat harsh (no clipping detected though).  So its a matter of syncing the Sony audio.   (With loud rock and punk the Panasonic is usually okay).

But I took some stills and a bit of B-roll with a Fuji Finepix F80exr and maybe a few frames are usable with much tweaking, but the stills are nearly all atrocious.   My phone does a better job.

I've never got the hang of this camera which I've had for about 4 years - but now I've read up about them here: http://kimletkeman.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html, and apparently they can be much improved if you avoid all the gotchas - like never let it shoot HR.  They don't work out of the box it seems. 

But I still don't trust the Fuji.  Since the SD900 takes brilliant stills, I thought I'd upgrade to a Panasonic TZ40 (in US ZS30).  Panansonics do tend to work on default settings.   What swung my choice is the ability to touch the screen and it will focus at that point.  Amazing if it works.

The video is noticeably not as good as the Camcorder, but good enough for cutaways.   

A lot of suppliers in the UK seem to have sold out.  I could only get order a red one, otherwise there would be a wait.

Much of its use will be at concerts so I wonder what Tapers' experiences was?

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
Re: Anyone used Panasonic TZ40-ZS30 yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »
never used it but based on the numbers and reviews, unless you need the 20x zoom of the ZS30 the LX7 is a better camera for video, but only 3.6x zoom.  The LX7 has a phenomenal F1.4 lens and stellar low light ratings.  And its about the same price as a ZS30

Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline markolexus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
Thanks for that Shoestringconcerts.   I vaguely looked at the LX7 and have now looked much harder at it.   You are quite right - in many ways it would take better stills and video for concerts.   I was at the point of changing my order to one - then...   Well if only it had a bit more of a zoom capability.   Say 8x would do.   For me I generally leave the camcorder on its tripod recording, then I go walkabout trying to get shots of fretboard action or what a keyboardist is doing on the keys.    I'm often at full zoom 10x.

Hey I'll stick with the TZ40 and if it doesn't perform, send it back and change it for an LX7.    The LX7 seems quite a bit cheaper now in the UK - £254.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:57:51 AM »
yeah you cant get the great low light results in a super zoom camera, thats the trade off

i still think there are better choices than the ZS30, i would look at the Panasonic FZ200(or FZ150) or the Canon SX50(sx40)
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com