Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Time Lapse Recording on Canon GL2  (Read 3223 times)

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
Time Lapse Recording on Canon GL2
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:28 AM »
Does anyone have any insight on doing time lapse recording on a Canon GL2?  Canon refers to it as "Interval Recording" and it looks like I have to choose both the length of time it shoots at each interval (.5 seconds to 2 seconds at 4 intervals: .5, 1, 1.5, and 2 seconds) and the length of the interval between footage (at 4 intervals: 30 sec, 1 min, 5 min., 10 min.)   I need to use the camera for work - we are going to demolish a structure that will probably take 2-4 days to remove and I'm wondering what settings would be best? 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Time Lapse Recording on Canon GL2
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:42:59 PM »
Is 10min the max?If so i think i would choose 1second at 10min intervals of course the camera will be locked on tripod and not moved the entire 4 days correct?And Lock focus and use automatic exposure.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
On second thought i might lower the 2nd interval to every 5mins or maybe every 1 min.
You using LP mode?Its gonna be alot of wear on the tape mechanism i would imagine.

Offline chicofishhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »
There is a difference between interval recording and time lapse.  Basically, tape-based cameras aren't capable of real time lapse because they can't lay down one frame at a time on the cassette.  If you want to make a time lapse with the G2 you will have to go back and edit out all but one frame of every interval.

Here is a relatively cheap camera that does time lapse:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Picsio-GC-WP10-Waterproof-VERSION/dp/B003Z6QHSK
I have one and it's pretty cool.  If you have it plugged in, it'll go for up to 99 hours, taking a frame every half, five, or forty-five seconds.  It shoots in high def, although occasionally you do see artifacts from compression.  I used it for the exterior shots in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jZAEECWMOg

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
If you have a smartphone with a decent camera in it that you no longer use, you can deploy it for timelapse photography (I have an Android and I use LapseIt Pro, which cost $1.99). I got a mount for it at Radio Shack, just a cheap plastic spring-loaded bracket with a tripod socket at the bottom that allows me to clamp it wherever I need it. I also connect an external USB battery pack to the phone so that it wouldn't run out of juice. If possible, I would test it for a few days before trusting it on a real job. The  advantage of this setup is that I do not risk losing an expensive camera or the phone that I do use.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:03:04 AM by mysticeyes »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com