Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: turntable/record player  (Read 19408 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
turntable/record player
« on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
ok, I want one, which one to get? what will I need to go from turntable to speaker?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: turntable/record player
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »
This is the one I have.  It works perfectly for me. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE

It has a built-in phono amp and line out.  If your receiver (like mine), has a built-in phono amp, you'd use that.  If not, turn on the built-in phono amp and use any RCA input.

I think this is the more expensive version.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-USB/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

I, personally, never had a need for that.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
Turntables run from $200-$100,000+

Also as noted above we'd need to know what the amp will be an if it has a phono preamp in it.

That being said, most people should be happy with an entry level turntable from either Pro-ject or Rega. $400 is going to get you plenty unless you have a really nice playback system behind it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »
This is a great place to start. Well regarded in vinyl forums and lots of options.

http://uturnaudio.com/

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
I'm a Thorens guy, especially for what you can find the 160's for used but the Music Hall MMF's are nice as are the Rega decks. Either or can be found new or used for cheap money. I wouldn't be scared of a used deck, you'll need to learn how to set up a deck regardless new or used & that's the fun of it anyway. You'll need a phono amp, again, plenty of cheap options especially the Cambridge Audio stuff, I started with one of their cheap preamps (about $150 if I recall?) they're great quality, sound great & even with my current preamp costing almost ten times the price there isn't THAT much difference. Get into vinyl Trey, you obviously need another avenue to expand on your sluttieness  ;)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Do you want to buy new or vintage - I have a Lenco l75s and love it but you do have to typically tune vintage decks up a bit before using them (lube up, re-align, rebuild in some cases)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »
This is the one I have.  It works perfectly for me. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE

It has a built-in phono amp and line out.  If your receiver (like mine), has a built-in phono amp, you'd use that.  If not, turn on the built-in phono amp and use any RCA input.

I think this is the more expensive version.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-USB/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

I, personally, never had a need for that.

I have an older model mcintosh
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »
Trey, does your Mac have a phono pre? If so I'd bet it's pretty good, the older integrated's generally have great phono preamps. My Sansuai has a really nice preamp. So in that case you'll need a turntable & some cables. Also get a scale to set your cart with, they sell electronic & mechanical, the electronics are cheap & worth it. You'll also need a protractor, you can buy or print one. Then just read read read, it's easy to do & really enjoyable setting up a table (IMO) Its not rocket science, don't get too anal with it & enjoy your vinyl. Next we talk about cleaning, clean, clean, clean! I made a turntable vacuum that was pretty cheap vs the VPI deal but that's a little excessive, you can go pretty far with just a brush & cleaner.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:00:43 AM »
I will throw in my .02 on getting a rega as your first table.  I have gone from a rega p1 to a thorens td165 to a rega p3-24 which I currently own.  All great tables.  The thorens just takes a little more work to get setup and running.  My view is to get you started on the best part of the hobby (spinning records immediately and becoming immersed) I would put my vote in on the rega rp-1. 

Get ready to enjoy music on a whole different level!

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
I have an rp-1, works great and sounds lovely.  If you're looking for a good deal on used turntables check www.audiogon.com
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »
I just purchased a VPI Traveler and an iFi iPhono preamp a month ago. It was my housewarming present to myself for the new apartment in Abuja, Nigeria. I went with the Traveler because I can use it in the U.S. and abroad; it has a 110 / 220 power supply. So far, I really like it a lot. The iFi phono stage gives a ton of flexibility regarding choice of cartridge. Because I blew past my budget with all of the accessories, I went cheap for the cartridge. I started out with an AT95E but did not really like it too much. The stylus upgrade to the AT95SA has been a million times better. Will probably upgrade to a Soundsmith next year or something, but enjoying everything a lot right now.

The gotcha with all of this are the billion accessories that you need to get that can add significantly to the cost of everything. So far, I have also purchased a record cleaner (Spin Clean), brush, stylus cleaner, stylus brush, alignment grid, turntable mat, and two pairs of interconnects (TT > phono and phono > amplifier). I also want to get a cover, but cannot stomach spending $300 for a piece of acrylic. I found "Some Guy On The Internet" who can machine acrylic for $80 so I'm going to try measuring everything myself and hoping that it works.

I was really scared of buying used because I have read some horror stories, and because there is little that I can do from Nigeria to return everything. For that reason, I went with a demo model from Music Direct. They have been great to work with and the turntable arrived in perfect condition.

Do you have a budget in mind? That would help out a lot.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »

Do you have a budget in mind? That would help out a lot.

$12 - $15?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
I'm a Thorens guy, especially for what you can find the 160's for used but the Music Hall MMF's are nice as are the Rega decks. Either or can be found new or used for cheap money. I wouldn't be scared of a used deck, you'll need to learn how to set up a deck regardless new or used & that's the fun of it anyway. You'll need a phono amp, again, plenty of cheap options especially the Cambridge Audio stuff, I started with one of their cheap preamps (about $150 if I recall?) they're great quality, sound great & even with my current preamp costing almost ten times the price there isn't THAT much difference. Get into vinyl Trey, you obviously need another avenue to expand on your sluttieness  ;)

i have your old mcintosh, remember what is was?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »

i have your old mcintosh, remember what is was?
Yikes, honestly I don't, I had a few different ones at that point which reminds me. I kind of miss those blue lights, I may need to find one again.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »
I kind of miss those blue lights, I may need to find one again.

now that is funny (and true)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com