Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 135529 times)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #345 on: May 24, 2022, 06:40:31 AM »
Just joined the M10 crew earlier this month.

Ran to the internal memory with 853 subcards > soundpro box.  Next using it as a bit box from the out of my 680 during Phish OB this weekend.

Any approved memory card list floating around before I start scouring the site?
A bit box is a deck that takes a digital signal from a preamp or other device, hence the name bit box. It adds nothing, it just takes and holds the bits from a non-recorder. The Sony M10 does not take a digital signal, it only takes an analog signal, so it cannot be used as a bit box.
I see.  I figured people were using small decks from the out of their large deck and calling it a "bit box".  My bad.  Hashtag newbie mistake.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #346 on: May 25, 2022, 10:01:43 PM »

Ran to the internal memory with 853 subcards > soundpro box.  Next using it as a bit box from the out of my 680 during Phish OB this weekend.

A bit box is a deck that takes a digital signal from a preamp or other device, hence the name bit box. It adds nothing, it just takes and holds the bits from a non-recorder. The Sony M10 does not take a digital signal, it only takes an analog signal, so it cannot be used as a bit box.

Hey dallman..  hope you are well!!
For the sake of fun 8)… there are some recorders that have digital outputs that can feed another recorder’s digital input.
But the M10 is not one of them.
Miss ya man..   :guitarist:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:09:44 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #347 on: May 26, 2022, 05:12:43 PM »

I see.  I figured people were using small decks from the out of their large deck and calling it a "bit box".  My bad.  Hashtag newbie mistake.
That's ok, I'm still learning and I made my first recording in 1971.  :bigsmile:

Yug,
I sure hope to see you this summer as things open up again!! I miss you too.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gaerlind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #348 on: July 14, 2022, 02:56:10 PM »
Today i decided to disassemble one of my M10 to clean it of dust.
This is its microphone capsule.

Looks something wellknown, isn't so?

Yes!
Its PRIMO EM 172 capsule - M10 internal microphones.
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/capsule-microphone/primo/em-172/

Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Olympus LS-100, Zoom H2n, Alesis PalmTrack, Philips DVT7500
Shure SM7B, Shure SM57, Rode NTG-2, Audio-Technica AT875R, Audio-Technica AT35s, Godox Movelink M2

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #349 on: July 14, 2022, 03:37:57 PM »
Makes me wonder what mics the other Sony recorders have - A10, D10, D100, D50.

Does your recorder suffer from needing to reset the time/date on each power on? If so, have you seen some kind of internal battery in the unit?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gaerlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #350 on: July 14, 2022, 03:48:14 PM »
I have two M10. One i bought as new a lot of years ago - it works excellent.
The second i bought used - is suffers from needing to set the time/date each time when i power it on.
I bought new internal batteries and now awaiting for mail. Will try to fix this problem.

By the way - one day i was need to record 4 days non-stop and connected an external power to recorder. About 100 hours of non-stop recording.
After that the date/time problem disappeared for 2 days. Later problem returned back...
Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Olympus LS-100, Zoom H2n, Alesis PalmTrack, Philips DVT7500
Shure SM7B, Shure SM57, Rode NTG-2, Audio-Technica AT875R, Audio-Technica AT35s, Godox Movelink M2

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #351 on: July 14, 2022, 03:51:46 PM »
I have two M10. One i bought as new a lot of years ago - it works excellent.
The second i bought used - is suffers from needing to set the time/date each time when i power it on.
I bought new internal batteries and now awaiting for mail. Will try to fix this problem.

By the way - one day i was need to record 4 days non-stop and connected an external power to recorder. About 100 hours of non-stop recording.
After that the date/time problem disappeared for 2 days. Later problem returned back...

I've only seen this happen when the AA batteries are removed for more than a few days.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #352 on: July 14, 2022, 04:24:53 PM »
> I've only seen this happen when the AA batteries are removed for more than a few days.

I thought the same, but mine have had batteries in them constantly and lost the clock time.

They haven't gotten much use, but even if i: power them on, set time/date, short recording, leave for auto power off and turn back on a few days later, the clock needs to be set again.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #353 on: July 14, 2022, 05:07:12 PM »
There are tons of posts regarding the clock issue, including workarounds and other solutions. It might take some searching, but it is all here somewhere.

There have also been a number of posts, stretching back many years, stating that the M10 mics appear (and test) similar to the Primo caps. I think if you search, you can probably also find which caps were used in at least some of the other Sony recorders (or a best guess anyway).

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #354 on: July 14, 2022, 08:03:17 PM »
There are tons of posts regarding the clock issue, including workarounds and other solutions. It might take some searching, but it is all here somewhere.
Leave the deck powered ON for a couple days and it will charge up the clock battery.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #355 on: July 14, 2022, 08:32:25 PM »
Leave the deck powered ON for a couple days and it will charge up the clock battery.

*MIND BLOWN*
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline morst

« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2022, 11:13:59 PM »

*MIND BLOWN*

Yeah it took us quite a bit of time to figure that one out. Someone can look at the thread and tell us how long...
 :facepalm:
 :hmmm:
 :iamwithstupid:
 :lol:
 :smash:
 :tomato:
 :wink2:
 :yahoo:
 :shrug:

Offline Gaerlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #357 on: July 15, 2022, 03:43:38 AM »
By the way!

I have one more M10 and D50 - both doesn't powers on. It's not due internal battery.
What it can be? I know its a common problem for M10 and D50

Offline morst

« Reply #358 on: July 15, 2022, 02:36:46 PM »
By the way!

I have one more M10 and D50 - both doesn't powers on. It's not due internal battery.
What it can be? I know its a common problem for M10 and D50
could be a bad switch?

Offline Gaerlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #359 on: July 15, 2022, 04:02:19 PM »
could be a bad switch?
If so - it would be great. But too simple.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com