Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii  (Read 46112 times)

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2015, 10:23:29 PM »
Since I currently afford a preamp that would be considered an upgrade to the current quality in the DR-60, I will likely purchase an ART Phantom II to get Phantom power on the 3/4.  I'll wait on reviews of the new DR-680 mkii and a few more paychecks before I consider a separate preamp.

I have an ART Phantom II I was going to put in the YS soon. It simple and provides phantom power for not much money.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2015, 09:12:05 AM »

A friend asked me to shoot video for a poetry reading event at his bar so I plan to use my Nikon DSLR and my DR60d. I plan to put a single cardioid condenser in the vicinity of the single vocal mic they are using for the reading and run it through my DR60d and into my camera through the mic input. During the dry run the levels were kind of low and hissy on playback. I guess I need to run my camera out off the deck into the mic in a little hotter but I have very little faith in the on board mic pres on the camera.

Anyone have experience doing this type of setup with a spoken word type scenario?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »

That's what I experienced the first time using the DR60d with a camcorder, but my levels were off.  My camera out dial on my 60d is now set a little over 8, and I had to turn my camcorder gain down. 

Do you recall what level you had your camera out set to? 

All this assumes your mic gain going into the 60d is set to an appropriate level--not too soft.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2015, 05:12:58 PM »

That's what I experienced the first time using the DR60d with a camcorder, but my levels were off.  My camera out dial on my 60d is now set a little over 8, and I had to turn my camcorder gain down. 

Do you recall what level you had your camera out set to? 

All this assumes your mic gain going into the 60d is set to an appropriate level--not too soft.
i had the same issue and almost returned the dr-60d
Finally figured it out and it was the camera gain being to high too.
Never had an issue except with the 60d but now I got it dialed in for that too and it works great.
I have the 60d around 5/6 and my canon camcorder dropped down around 35
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:14:59 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »
I suspect I am too conservative on my main input levels on my mics, and that probably accounts for why my camera gain is about 8 while yours is 5/6. If I had my levels set right, I'd probably have to drop the camera gain out. 

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »

Couldn't seem to get it right. Lots of introduced hum and noise on the camera audio. Ended up having to sync the recorder audio later which is no big deal I was just trying to save myself an extra step.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2015, 02:48:16 PM »
Could be a bad cable or maybe the camera input isn't that great?

It might take a few times to find the right settings.   

Offline willndmb

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »

Couldn't seem to get it right. Lots of introduced hum and noise on the camera audio. Ended up having to sync the recorder audio later which is no big deal I was just trying to save myself an extra step.
play around just recording the radio at home.
It's worth it IMO to save the extra step

What camera do you have?
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »

play around just recording the radio at home.
It's worth it IMO to save the extra step

What camera do you have?

Nikon D3200. It's not real fancy but one of the reasons I picked it was the mic input and ability to shoot 20 mins of video per file and I got it lightly used with 2400 shutter actuations for 40% off new price.

I might shoot some rock band stuff at a few upcoming shows and see if I can work out the levels thing. The levels display on the camera is taking some getting used to and the input is really sensitive. Music will be different than my first outing doing the poetry reading thing with one mono condenser.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
I'm slightly embarrassed to say I've never tried it, but if you have a recording on your 60d that has levels you are satisfied with, perhaps you could play it back and send a feed to the camera to determine the appropriate level of output on the 60d and the level of input on the 3200. I don't know if the 60d outputs in playback or in recording mode only???

I didn't find any specific discussion of the 3200 input gain.  I did find some posts elsewhere suggesting an input level of 6 on the D800, but that's a higher end and different model.

If you have a dynamic poetry reader, you could be trying to record soft spoken words one second and near shouting the next.  It is difficult to set levels for this. 

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
I'm slightly embarrassed to say I've never tried it, but if you have a recording on your 60d that has levels you are satisfied with, perhaps you could play it back and send a feed to the camera to determine the appropriate level of output on the 60d and the level of input on the 3200. I don't know if the 60d outputs in playback or in recording mode only???

I didn't find any specific discussion of the 3200 input gain.  I did find some posts elsewhere suggesting an input level of 6 on the D800, but that's a higher end and different model.

If you have a dynamic poetry reader, you could be trying to record soft spoken words one second and near shouting the next.  It is difficult to set levels for this.

I have to admit that recording a spoken word event was a lot more challenging than I suspected. Mainly due to the lack of microphone skills of the participants. One guy kept wagging his head from side to side and talking out of the side of his mouth. The "headliner" had a little more wits about her from the performance side and kept a direct microphone in front of mouth presence the entire time, voice volume nice and even, so her audio definitely came out better.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
As far as the spoken word vs concert music goes if you get the camera and 60d working in synch it shouldn't matter much on the input volume of the source. At least that's what I found.
Once dialed in I could record just normal room noise or peak at -3db with music and it sounded good but until then I had the hiss issue

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »
Just a bit of an FYI/warning...

I was using my mk1 60D last week when it started throwing up "write timeout" error messages. I'd been being a bit lax and hadn't formatted the card for a while so assumed that it had got fragmented. (Sandisk 16GB class 10 - previously worked flawlessly in this machine and in HD video cameras, full to capacity)

Formatting the card locked the Tascam up so I had to disconnect the USB power supply and pull the batteries out to shut it down. It would then not recognize or format the SD card. I tried formatting the card in the promoter's laptop, which it completely crashed, repeatedly.

I eventually managed to format the card in one of my PCs (which took an awfully long time) but on testing it again in the Tascam the write timeouts started happening again after about two hours of 4-channel 48/24 recording.

So, that card is going in the bin and there will be no more travelling without a spare SD card for me...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »
As far as the spoken word vs concert music goes if you get the camera and 60d working in synch it shouldn't matter much on the input volume of the source. At least that's what I found.
Once dialed in I could record just normal room noise or peak at -3db with music and it sounded good but until then I had the hiss issue

I've recorded quite a few speakers.  Some are no problem.  The ones who go from a whisper to a shout in a millisecond are the troublemakers.  Usually, I stick a compressor in the chain if I know I'm going to be recording someone like that.  Amplified music seems to stay in a more consistent dynamic range and is less of a problem.  My experience anyway.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2015, 10:44:30 PM »
Just a bit of an FYI/warning...

I was using my mk1 60D last week when it started throwing up "write timeout" error messages. I'd been being a bit lax and hadn't formatted the card for a while so assumed that it had got fragmented. (Sandisk 16GB class 10 - previously worked flawlessly in this machine and in HD video cameras, full to capacity)

Formatting the card locked the Tascam up so I had to disconnect the USB power supply and pull the batteries out to shut it down. It would then not recognize or format the SD card. I tried formatting the card in the promoter's laptop, which it completely crashed, repeatedly.

I eventually managed to format the card in one of my PCs (which took an awfully long time) but on testing it again in the Tascam the write timeouts started happening again after about two hours of 4-channel 48/24 recording.

So, that card is going in the bin and there will be no more travelling without a spare SD card for me...
I find formating takes forever too although I have not had issues

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com