Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Classic" GD taping mics still available?  (Read 10921 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: "Classic" GD taping mics still available?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »

I'm spinning some DATs I received from a mutual friend of a GD patcher friend of ours who noted some of the mics he patched out of back then and I'm very impressed with the pulls from the Sennheiser 441 rigs. Great sound for a dynamic mic at a distance.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 07:32:57 PM »
Listening to Mr. Darby's AKG451's had me put together a set. Still run them.

https://archive.org/details/gd1991-11-03.AKG451.Darby.117753.Flac1644/gd1991-11-03.AKG451.t15.flac
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
Here are some 45-year-old Sennheiser data sheets on the original MD 421 in case anyone's interested.

The MD 421 was widely used as a handheld "on-the-scene" mike by TV news reporters, and was very often seen on camera in Germany back in the day. It was used as a public address and press conference mike as well. It had a heavy construction--at 14 oz., about five times the weight of a typical small condenser microphone. Back when it was introduced, only the most expensive portable recorders had built-in powering for condenser microphones, so a dynamic microphone meant quicker setup and connection, plus operational reliability along with the above-mentioned physical toughness.

The spec sheet reveals something of a marketing shell game in which the microphone is supposedly flat and transparent for full-range music applications but at the same time, has profiled response specifically for speech intelligibility. In truth it is an in-between creature. Its response graph shows a rolloff of 9 dB at 50 Hz and a very broad treble boost of about 5 dB, typical of microphones designed primarily for speech applications and spot miking. An alternate version had a further, variable low-frequency rolloff (not shown on the graph) useful for speech pickup in reverberant environments and/or for very close pickup generally.

There is a modern replacement for the MD 421, but it isn't the same. Because of EU "RoHS" restrictions on the use of materials that are now considered hazardous and/or that pose a problem for eventual disposal, European manufacturers nowadays can't simply replicate their own past products even when they want to. In addition, for decades Sennheiser has been the most high-volume-production-oriented of the European professional microphone manufacturers--the scale of their operations is very large--and the production methods and machines from decades ago have no doubt been superseded several times over by now.

--best regards

Edited later to add Beatles screen capture (I think this was their arrival for their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show; to me that looks like a Tuchel connector, so it may have been put there by a German TV reporter).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:22:49 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 12:46:24 AM »
Leading up to the Dead & Co. shows this summer, I've thought it might be fun to run some mics that used to be popular among Grateful Dead tapers back in the day (70s-80s).  Are any still available and not too expensive?  This would just be something for the hell of it and not something I'd want to drop a lot of money into.  Anyone have ideas/suggestions?

Awesome idea!!!!!  I would love to hear the end result.  Keep us updated as to what you use and the results. GOO LUCK!
 :cheers:

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »

I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser K2U/ME40 mics on Reverb really cheap when the seller accepted my offer of 30% lower than the asking price. Looking forward to using them this summer and getting that vintage vibe. They are the early versions from the 70s and seem to be working just fine.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 01:40:22 PM »
grab some Nak 300's with cp-4 gun!  They will sound great mixed with your current set, work well in places like The Granada, and of course at festivals.  And...I want to here them.   :guitarist:
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline tivva

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Have Fun...Life's way too short!
    • Paul's Digital List
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
Leading up to the Dead & Co. shows this summer, I've thought it might be fun to run some mics that used to be popular among Grateful Dead tapers back in the day (70s-80s).  Are any still available and not too expensive?  This would just be something for the hell of it and not something I'd want to drop a lot of money into.  Anyone have ideas/suggestions?

here's one for ya!

have a complete Nakamichi CM300 setup for ya...2 or 3 mic setups
Cm300's (3) full bodies with attenuator,
(3)CP 1's, cardiods, (3) CP 2's Omni's, & (2) CP 4's Shotgunz capsules. & most in original boxes,
MX 100 Mixer, & a PS 100 power supply & all cables, windscreens, mic clips, Tbars & everything ya need except for your recording unit...
might even have something there too...

so if your interested...all my gear is in excellent shape & am known in our lilcircle of us ole new england tapers...no junk here!

let me know...will make ya a great deal...& ample instruction to make killer 3/mic mixes...amazing sound

ask if ya need anything else? Ask for it, might have it...have a pretty full closet!

pax...
tiv
pax...
tiv

Nak700's CP701>RPS>V3> Sony D-50
Sonic's DSM6-L >Sony D50

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »
^ With that MX100 mixer you can have fun running 3 mic mixes into a stereo cassette recorder.  Dust of the Sony TC-D5 and break the shrink wrap on that moldering brick of Maxcells.

Go old-school mic-technique with two guns PAS + omni for one show.  Then using the same gear, try a modern 3-mic technique which is basically an inversion of that: two wide omnis + a single gun in the middle.  Compare and contrast.  Then post flowerful descriptions of the lot scene on the electronic bulletin boards!

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
Anyone know what the vertically-oriented mic is in the top photo on page 57 here? https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/80s/Audio-1988-01.pdf
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »
Anyone know what the vertically-oriented mic is in the top photo on page 57 here? https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/80s/Audio-1988-01.pdf
If you're referring to the mic in the pic with Jim Oade, it kinda looks like a stereo ribbon mic I used to own, a Speiden SF-12 model. But I can't be sure.
https://reverb.com/item/5859094-speiden-sf-12-stereo-ribbon-microphone-kit-no-145-with-box-cables-and-royer-shock-mount

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »

There's an advertisement in there, p.37 for Rowland Research amplifiers. Mike Grace worked for them in Colorado Springs before moving to Boulder to start his own company. I would go to Rowland to listen to his and Oade's latest Grateful Dead recordings on the state of the art amps and speakers at the time ~ late 1980's.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 02:46:33 PM »

There's an advertisement in there, p.37 for Rowland Research amplifiers. Mike Grace worked for them in Colorado Springs before moving to Boulder to start his own company. I would go to Rowland to listen to his and Oade's latest Grateful Dead recordings on the state of the art amps and speakers at the time ~ late 1980's.

Great taper article I'd not seen before, especially as it's more gear-centric than most.  Thanks for posting the link.

I recall audio gear of that era well as it was a formative time for me working for a then regional hifi outfit, wiring up audio and video distribution and signal switchers for selecting various speaker/amp combinations in their stores.  Fun seeing adds for what was hip at the time.

There's an advert on p.35 for the Yamaha DSP-1 which I remember rather fondly, which claims it to be "The most significant advance in the control of auditory space since stereo."  I had one in the later 80's along with the 4-channel amp which went along with it, used to drive 4 dedicated speakers separate from the main pair, positioned in the upper room corners.  The processor was marketed oddly and featured both studio effects and digital ambience recreation programs.  It was a lot of fun at parties for making the music spin around the room or whatever, but was really good for essentially "spatializing" dry board tapes and studio-recorded CDs via six Infinity speakers.  The thing was heady.  Outside of actual concert experiences, most folks who dropped by one of our parties to listen had never heard anything like how the sound "embraced them" filling the room 3-dimensionally with sound.  One time the group headed out elsewhere while one head remained behind and begged me to leave the system on for him, looping a single track from Brothers In Arms for about 5 hours straight until we all returned and urged him out of the vortex.

As fun as that thing was it suffered from the digital tech of the day: 16-bit and quite noisy, but was far superior to the crappy "fake surround" settings which became standard fare on home theater receivers a decade later and gave ambience recreation a bad name.  It's perhaps not surprising that it instilled a certain spatial-realism bug in my ear which went on to drive experimentation which eventually lead to the multichannel OMT recording and playback setups I blather about too much here at TS.  Roots.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »

I'm spinning some DATs I received from a mutual friend of a GD patcher friend of ours who noted some of the mics he patched out of back then and I'm very impressed with the pulls from the Sennheiser 441 rigs. Great sound for a dynamic mic at a distance.

my taping mentor ran EV's hard wired into a d6 in the early to mid 80's and his taping buddy ran 441's into a d5.  those tapes were the reason we met.  15 rows back, 441's were killer!  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »
I was hoping there might be some classics that can be picked up for a song on today's market, but it seems like most of the mics mentioned in this thread would still be at least in the $300 range for a pair (if not considerably more).  If I were going to buy these to use consistently, no big deal.  But for what would essentially be a couple nights just for the hell of it, I wouldn't want to pay in the hundreds of dollars.

That said, this is an informative and entertaining thread, and I love hearing about the old days, so keep it going.   :coolguy:
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 05:57:01 PM »

That brings back memories.  I first met Mike when he was looking for a patch and I had just gotten my first pair of 421's.  I also remember that article.  Where have the years gone?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com