Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-07, Part 2  (Read 44790 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland R-07, Part 2
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2022, 09:02:43 PM »
Probably using this for the first time on Sunday night - very open / taper-friendly artist, so I'm looking to try a number of things. One of the reasons I picked this up was to occasionally run board feeds with it. I have a XLR > Minijack attenuator that I assume I want to use?

Beyond that, it's been forever since I've used a mini-deck like this. Line-in, right?

In this exact case I've never pulled a feed from this board, so not really sure what to expect. Anything else I should look out for in terms of settings.

I can also run into a R44, so I have options...

thx!

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2022, 12:13:39 AM »
In my experience, I've had to insert an attenuator between the sbd and r-07, or signal's too hot.

Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2022, 04:28:57 AM »
Same here, definitely use attenuators for a soundboard feed.

If you have two r07s, and plan on doing a matrix, the app actually lets you start and stop recording on both units simultaneously - super handy.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2022, 09:12:52 AM »
I've gotten away with not using an attenuator while recording a soundboard feed of rock music directly to my R-07, but I dialed the input level way down and I had a very friendly and helpful sound guy helping me (it was a small town charity event).  It can work, but as checht recommended, it's probably best to have an attenuator.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 10:36:14 AM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2022, 10:35:24 AM »
If you have two r07s, and plan on doing a matrix, the app actually lets you start and stop recording on both units simultaneously - super handy.
Hmm, interesting. Sometimes it's a pain to run cable from sbd to ambient mics location.
Do 2 random r07s operate at the exact same clock speed? Have you ever seen drift over a multi-hour recording?

Recordings at LMA

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »
Hmm, interesting. Sometimes it's a pain to run cable from sbd to ambient mics location.
Do 2 random r07s operate at the exact same clock speed? Have you ever seen drift over a multi-hour recording?

There will be drift. Even 2 identical recorders with identical ADC's will not be in sync with each other. Whenever you have 2 or more ADC's in a multi track recording, they must be physically connected (not possible on the R-07) with 1 being deemed the "master clock" via settings so all files are recorded off the same clock.

I have mixed many aud + sbd recordings recorded with different recorders/word clocks and while it truly is a PITA, it's also a great way to sharpen your DAW and mastering skills. Plus, if you ever buy one of the many 4+ track recorders out there, you will truly appreciate it!

EDIT: there is a better technique then what i state below, using software to STRETCH one of the sources to fit the other. see posts below
The most helpful tip I learned is visually lining up snare hits. Zoom in AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE on a single snare hit (or wav spike) and literally slide the other track till the same snare hit is perfectly lined up with it. Go forward in the song 3-5 minutes and zoom in again and see how the snare hit peaks are lined up. You will eventually see (usually every 3-10 minutes) the hits begin to drift apart. Then split the 2nd file and re-align again. I usually ended up splitting and re-aligning every 7-10 minutes. YMMV
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:24:08 PM by Chanher »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2022, 12:08:23 PM »

The most helpful tip I learned is visually lining up snare hits. Zoom in AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE on a single snare hit (or wav spike) and literally slide the other track till the same snare hit is perfectly lined up with it. Go forward in the song 3-5 minutes and zoom in again and see how the snare hit peaks are lined up. You will eventually see (usually every 3-10 minutes) the hits begin to drift apart. Then split the 2nd file and re-align again. I usually ended up splitting and re-aligning every 7-10 minutes. YMMV

I have found with modern digital recorders, that even between two different recorder brands, the drift is usually very consistent.  So I just find a reference point (snare hit) at the beginning of one of the recordings, line it up with the other recording; and then go to the end of the recordings and stretch or reduce the length of the second recording to match the first recording.  Even for a 90 minute recording, it's rarely off by more than a tiny fraction of a second.  I also go back and spot check in the middle of the recording; but it's uncommon to find spots where it's still out of sync.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2022, 12:13:28 PM »

I have found with modern digital recorders, that even between two different recorder brands, the drift is usually very consistent.  So I just find a reference point (snare hit) at the beginning of one of the recordings, line it up with the other recording; and then go to the end of the recordings and stretch or reduce the length of the second recording to match the first recording.  Even for a 90 minute recording, it's rarely off by more than a tiny fraction of a second.  I also go back and spot check in the middle of the recording; but it's uncommon to find spots where it's still out of sync.

^this
Also, when mixing sbd and ambient from a multitrack recorder, using a transient for alignment is necessary due to wave propagation time. Unless you are trying for a wet, reverb-like sound.

Recordings at LMA

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2022, 12:56:38 PM »

I purchased an r07 in 2019 and one in 2022, I've only run both simultaneously a few times now, but haven't experienced any drift. You'll still want to manually sync the shows up in post to account for distance from the stage and eliminate phasing issues.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2022, 12:36:12 PM »

ah yes digital stretching! I am showing my age with my outdated techniques haha. That's why I love this place, always something new to learn. I have a ton of old sbd + aud shows recorded with 2 recorders, I must try digital stretching! Brilliant...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Gaerlind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2022, 05:03:47 AM »
I have two recorders Roland R07.
Bought it in November 2021 and in February 2022 on Amazon.

On the first firmware is V 1.100 but on the second V 1.101

I don't know whats the difference in these firmware and why V 1.101 can't be downloaded from official support site.
Can anybody tell about it?
Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Olympus LS-100, Zoom H2n, Alesis PalmTrack, Philips DVT7500
Shure SM7B, Shure SM57, Rode NTG-2, Audio-Technica AT875R, Audio-Technica AT35s, Godox Movelink M2

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2022, 11:44:42 AM »
I have two recorders Roland R07.
Bought it in November 2021 and in February 2022 on Amazon.

On the first firmware is V 1.100 but on the second V 1.101

I don't know whats the difference in these firmware and why V 1.101 can't be downloaded from official support site.
Can anybody tell about it?

I have both a 1.1 and 1.101 as well, unfortunately I haven't found any information on the differences. Anecdotally I've had more bluetooth trouble with my newer 1.101 unit. 

Offline Gaerlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2022, 02:33:57 PM »
I am also haven't found any difference.
Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Olympus LS-100, Zoom H2n, Alesis PalmTrack, Philips DVT7500
Shure SM7B, Shure SM57, Rode NTG-2, Audio-Technica AT875R, Audio-Technica AT35s, Godox Movelink M2

Offline rayrad

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2022, 09:08:57 AM »
has anyone figured out how to transfer audio files from the R-07 to an iPad?

i'm at a festival this weekend, and would like to save back up / safety copies of each day's recordings when i get back to my B&B each night

not planning to take a laptop - but will have an up-to-date iPad (2022 iPad Air 5th gen)

i have a micro-B USB to USB-C cable (which works for data as well as power) - but plugging the two together, i can't find a way to access the R-07's SD card on the iPad

maybe it just isn't possible!

but if anyone has a tip, i'd be most grateful

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
Devices such as this are good for that task - iPad not needed - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09T9QKQH7/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza - you should be able to use that to  backup the files from the card to a portable hard drive or SSD.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com