Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1990s taper finally upgrading gear - a few questions about mics, power, stealth  (Read 14399 times)

Offline chiefscribe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular

One nagging question is will I have an easier time overall (fewer custom cables required, more compatibility with everything else) if I upgrade to a recorder with XLR inputs and phantom power?  Saw a used Tascam DR-100mk3 that is significantly heavier and larger and more expensive than the R-05 but it does have 48V phantom power and XLRs and up to 192 kHz sampling rates and a clever hot-swappable battery system. 

Offline chiefscribe

• Taperssection Regular
I ended up ordering that Tascam DR-100mkIII so will have the recorder with XLR input and phantom power if needed. 

Whether or not it changes what I use for concert recording, it has S/PDIF & therefore might speed up my long-term project of transferring the DAT collection to hard drive.  My old Mac laptop also has S/PDIF but this seems like it'll be easier to leave unattended while tapes run. 

So now I am back to pondering the stealthy mic power possibilities and hoping I can obtain the necessary items in the next 3.5 weeks. 

Offline chiefscribe

• Taperssection Regular
once I am on a wifi I upload the files to my DropBox account

So you'd get a used / refurb phone, not set up any cell service on it, but use it in airplane mode with wifi to get it set up, put the DPA app on there, and transfer files - ? 

Is it really not possible to use one's primary phone to record? 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Forgive my cluelessness but I don't know what "side addresses caps" / "sdc side-address" means - ?
sdc = small diameter condensor microphone - "pencil condensor", not a large diameter often switchable pattern condensor microphone, typically phantom powered)
"Side address" means the diaphragm faces out from the side of its tubular housing, rather than facing out the end of the tubular housing, which is refered to as "End address"

One nagging question is will I have an easier time overall (fewer custom cables required, more compatibility with everything else) if I upgrade to a recorder with XLR inputs and phantom power?
IMO, in general the less components and less cable connections, the more reliable and more stealth-able a rig will be.  There is a lot to be said in practical terms for eliminating extra stuff between the micrphones and recording device where possible.  Countering that is some minimal amount of "stuff in between" is often required to run the gear one wants, or achieve the highest levels of quality.

Capsules using the new small modular amplifiers directly into a recorder that can provide phantom powering is a way of achieving that simplicity, eliminating the stuff in between.  Recorders that provide phantom are somewhat larger though, so there is some trade off in size and other factors in the stealth equation.

So you'd get a used / refurb phone, not set up any cell service on it, but use it in airplane mode with wifi to get it set up, put the DPA app on there, and transfer files - ? 

I'm not a phone taper, but I'd feel more confident using a dedicated, perhaps older phone, or non-phone ios device for recording, if I were to go that route.  Can use the primary phone, but there is plenty of potential for something to go wrong and screw up a recording.  I tend to gravitate to gear that is simple and works without complication, perhaps because I run what most here consider to be ridiculously complicated multi-microphone setups, so keeping the recording chain, interconnects, and devices simple and dedicated to the purpose a hand makes for a valuable overall strategy for me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:43:44 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
The elemental engineering trade off of this exercise is balancing the sound you want and will be satisfied with, against the constraints of practicality, reliability, stealth requirements, and cost.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught

Oh, are Nbox inline devices still available? I keep seeing that they are discontinued, and so are littleboxes and tinyboxes and PFAs from Naiant, so I was at a loss as to whether anyone is still making active cables or inline devices.  Hope so.  Yes, I pretty much only do stealth recording, even when open taping is an option, because I tend to go to shows with non-tapers who don't want their whole concert experience to revolve around me and my gear.  If schoepsnbox and/or Naiant are still making solutions that would let me use Schoeps caps with my recorder, that would be fantastic. 

NBox options all available.  PM Nick aka SchoepsNBox on here to discuss.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
I regularly run a set of Sonic Studios DSM6s along side of dpa4061 mics and the difference is minimal, so if you still have your sonics, then you are in good shape for that kind of  >:D and you can concentrate on larger caps. I also regularly run Schoeps MK5 caps with a similar system to what you're looking at and I've gotten so greedy for the DPA omni capture that I  >:D with at least 2 rigs. Both small enough to get through most tight situations though I always fret about it beforehand.

There was a Neumann set modified in the yard sale years ago that looked like a good idea. I always regretted not buying those when they were offered up but how many mics can I realistically carry in?

Here are the Neumann SKM-140 set I mentioned, there's a link with pics.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183674.msg2241099#msg2241099

Here is the CMR setup I currently use.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153390.msg1941209#msg1941209

If you have enough hair maybe you won't need a hat.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
I ended up ordering that Tascam DR-100mkIII so will have the recorder with XLR input and phantom power if needed. 

Whether or not it changes what I use for concert recording, it has S/PDIF & therefore might speed up my long-term project of transferring the DAT collection to hard drive.  My old Mac laptop also has S/PDIF but this seems like it'll be easier to leave unattended while tapes run. 

So now I am back to pondering the stealthy mic power possibilities and hoping I can obtain the necessary items in the next 3.5 weeks.
You made a great choice on a recorder, the Tascam dr100 mk3 is everything I need  for stealth recording, along with tiny DPA cardioids. Nothing better for stealth IMO. Long internal battery life with AA options. Quiet pre-amp with phantom power. What's not to love? Great for transferring old recordings to digital for transfer. Bob and Melanie
Melanie and Bob

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
once I am on a wifi I upload the files to my DropBox account

I actually use the latest generation iPod and not my iPhone. No worries about getting calls and/or texts. You can use your iPhone, sure, as a bunch of people do. I just like having the iPod set up more as a dedicated recorder with just apps that I use for recording and transferring.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
If I had to pick a perfect rig after taping for 40 years I would pick these:

Main Rig. Schoeps + Actives + NBox + Any Recorder

Stealth Rig.  Schoeps + Actives + Baby NBox + Any Recorder

Super Stealth Rig. DPA + Battery Box + Any Recorder These are omnis so you’ll get crowd noise best for stack tapes and small clubs.

Crowd Crazy Rig (Crowd Noise) Same as Main Rig, substitute MK41s
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Get some colette cables and a pair of mk4s.  Soon you'll have some omnis, hypers, subs, and even a mic stand and we will see you in the OTS!

My stealth rig is CCM4 > Tinybox > Sony M10.  I stitched some elastic into the band of a Kangol and no one has a clue.  Happy to talk shop via pm.  Check out the team boards section and hop into a local crew!
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Since you went with the D100mkIII

Just grab a pair of CMC1-L or K's

The L's disconnect at the edge of the body but this does add the lemo connector sticking out of the body - trade off is you can get custom cables made that are shorter and easier to stealth with
The K's have a set cable length (of what every you order at) but no lemo connector

You should be able to pick up a used set of mk4/4v/5/41/41v or even 22 caps to keep costs down

I wouldn't bother with an nbox and associated accessories with the CMC1's now avail and the fact you already have a handheld recorder that provides 48v phantom
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)

I'm not familiar with the CMC-1, but isn't it a preamplier connected to the capsule? 

If so, that would add size and would be a no go for me to stealth, but perfectly fine for open taping. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve

I'm not familiar with the CMC-1, but isn't it a preamplier connected to the capsule? 

If so, that would add size and would be a no go for me to stealth, but perfectly fine for open taping.
but with the cmc-1 you can lose the Nbox  also maybe more cost effective?  / easier to replace  sans custom box / cables.   
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording

but with the cmc-1 you can lose the Nbox  also maybe more cost effective?  / easier to replace  sans custom box / cables.

get a nice set of chopped right angle XLRs and the size difference is minimal
I had Scott at Shapeways design mounting bars for open taping with cmc1s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com