Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do you manage your audio files?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
How do you manage your audio files?
« on: October 22, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »
I've been using Microsoft Expression Media Pro to manage, add keywords  and search through my audio files (soundscapes). It also has a built-in audio playback function. This software is ages old and only runs under Mac OS versions up to Mojave. Having had to update to Big Sur in order to use a few other things, I'm looking for a replacement and all I can find is either unsuitable or very expensive.

Recommendations anyone?

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
Re: How do you manage your audio files?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »
Please don't push! ;-)
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 03:20:44 PM »
I use Clementine for playback on Mac, which will show you your entire library and allows you to edit tags and such from within the app. But it's not really file manager, if that's what you're looking for.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 06:30:01 PM »
I keep my own audio manually organized in annual folders, I have a spreadsheet for shows I've recorded myself so that covers my originals.
I used to use DiskTracker, but now use Neofinder in order to keep tabs on offline files stored on external drives. Neofinder is able to read old DiskTracker files which is great because DiskTracker has not been updated in many years and is not going to be.
https://www.cdfinder.de Neofinder is also compatible with their Windows version, CD Finder.

I have a separate directory for Torrents going back like 10 years.
I have a separate folder for DAT transfer which I did methodically over the course of a couple years.
I have a separate folder for items which I originally backed up to optical DVD media but brought over to hard drives once drive prices made it practical.
I have a separate folder for "taperssection" downloads which I will probably integrate into my "torrents" directory some day
I still keep an iTunes directory so I can sync music with my phone

I made a giant spreadsheet by scanning drives in the old Disktracker, and exporting from DiskTracker. Have not determined if NeoFinder can do quite what I wanted, with regards to keeping file and folder size intact on that export...
The spreadsheet is absolutely enormous, and has several tabs so there are a few different ways to look at the data.

Hope that helps! I know that manual mode is not for everyone.

oh yeah PS I use VLC for most playback unless I'm importing into Audacity
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 05:32:31 PM »
I just use folders.  My music is in three main folders:

"Music" - this is where I store rips of CDs and official downloads I've purchased.  Primarily studio recordings, official live releases get saved in here too.  I have subfolders for each artist, and the the individual albums/releases are subfolders within the artist's folder.

"Music-Live" - this is all the unofficial live recordings.  The only artists that have their own subfolders in this are the Dead and Phish.  Everything else is just saved in the main directory.

"Music-Live-Mine" - this is for live recordings I've made.  I just like to have them in a separate place.

For playback I use foobar2000 and have it set to show my library according to the folder structure. 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 10:20:44 PM »
"Music-Live-Mine" - this is for live recordings I've made.  I just like to have them in a separate place.
Do you track recordings out and then keep them with the original files or in a separate area?
I keep mine separate.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 10:49:04 PM »
Do you track recordings out and then keep them with the original files or in a separate area?
I keep mine separate.

I keep them together, but don't tag the original untracked files, so they don't show up in my audio player except under "unknown."

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
I keep mine separate.

The raw masters have an entirely different directory that isn't part of my music library.  The mastered recordings are what go into the music library.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 12:45:26 PM »
I keep mine separate.
re live recordings of my own:
I have one folder for each show. It holds the master raw files and photos basic text file etc. Then I make folders titled, artistmmyyddmicinfo flacs, wavs, mp3
All tracked and then flac'd files wind up in their respective folders. THEN i edit the text file to have d1t01. and so forth in front of the songs on the setlist and put that in the flac folder. THEN I edit the photos for LMA (web) posting and add them to the flac folder.

my 14 TB Synology is almost full with way too many rough edits and take 1's and take 2's in my GD project folder.      >:D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:47:14 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 04:09:24 PM »
I may have to use a chair and a whip to manage mine. I do believe that they are getting to be that out of control. 

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 02:44:06 PM »
NAS
I have the following folders

CD Collection - traditional silverbacks i paid for
CDR Collection - audience and live, official stuff i dont have hard copies for
Masters - stuff I recorded
PCM - stuff I recorded that hasnt been processed yet
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 08:48:37 PM »
Decades ago, I used to keep track in Hypercard. Sometime in the 90's I started using Filemaker Pro at work and imported the Hypercard files.

Now my Filemaker keeps track of setlists in one field, lineage in another. Also have checkboxes and radio buttons in fields to show whether the shows are my recordings or where they came from. Also have a checkbox field to say where I have seeded them and which folders/drives they are stored.

Offline morst

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2021, 12:26:26 AM »
Decades ago, I used to keep track in Hypercard. Sometime in the 90's I started using Filemaker Pro at work and imported the Hypercard files.

Now my Filemaker keeps track of setlists in one field, lineage in another. Also have checkboxes and radio buttons in fields to show whether the shows are my recordings or where they came from. Also have a checkbox field to say where I have seeded them and which folders/drives they are stored.
I used to use FileMaker (a database program) but I find a spreadsheet to be more useful.
I no longer keep setlists in the reference document though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com